Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Not happy with pics at cloudy day

The original was a bit underexposed and the lighting was low in contrast. I admit I used a graduated mask on the sky to treat it differently than the foreground.

You might be interested in an editing program like AirMagic which is due out on March 21st. It’s designed as a one click fix for drone images using A.I. algorithms to analyze the original image. Using drag and drop you can batch process multiple image. It’s got me interested. Check out the following article for more info.

NB
I am a little sceptical about AirMagic. "AI" has become a buzz-word lately and I have my doubts about this small company having the resources to use AI properly, considering Adobe with all their might has just begun using it. From what I see in the examples it is just applying some general image-corrections to make the image "pop". I don't see them applying lens-corrections for example.
But, I will be happy to admit I'm wrong: has anyone tried this software? How does it compare to Photoshop Express (which, as far as I know is available for free)?

Well, just made do with a low res screen copy and did some work using LightRoom Mobile on my iPhone:

View attachment 9152

Would be better working with a full res copy but you can see that there is a good looking image hiding there. I find almost all of my shots could be improved with a bit of editing in post.
NB

A very good example to show the importance of post-processing. A newbie pilot may very well see this image somewhere on the Internet, turn up at the same location with his Spark and wonder why he is not able to "click" such an image. Of course using the correct exposure settings is important at the time of clicking, but just as you explained, not much can be done on a cloudy day like this.

Spark actually does pretty decent job with the camera output for its price. I've seen much more washed out shots made with Mavic Pro.

Btw. your shots are actually very good. I have much worse ones from my Spark during cloudy days (i don't like flying on cloudy days at all).

I've just finished exploring AirMagic and I'm very happy with the results. The AI they are using to enhance the skies, show details and boost colors does a very good job. It is very automated with the ability to apply styles and to adjust how much of the style is applied a specific photograph. This is a tool I would use to create something quickly and easily to send my friends. I can also see myself sharing it with clients and then on the photographs they special editing, I would use my primary editing software and work on those. I worked with both jpg and DNG Raw files. I did find the RAW images a little soft, meaning that they needed a bit more sharpening. I've contacted Skylum and they promised this would be fixed in a future update. The other thing is that this makes shooting in RAW simple and easy given that AirMagic will process them for me.

Here's a sample from DJI Air in DNG RAW.
Before

After

Also here's a link to Jim Nix taking a first look at the product

Yowser! That’s quite a difference. From my understanding of the program, after a bit of experimentation with the programs settings it then is just a matter of “drag & drop” one ore more images into the program. Essentially a one click fix.

While it’s touted as that for drone photos, I see no reason why it wouldn’t work for other photos you take with a camera.
NB

Yowser! That’s quite a difference. From my understanding of the program, after a bit of experimentation with the programs settings it then is just a matter of “drag & drop” one ore more images into the program. Essentially a one click fix.

While it’s touted as that for drone photos, I see no reason why it wouldn’t work for other photos you take with a camera.
NB
Yeah, it does a nice job and that took all of 60 seconds for both images. The unique thing about this program and the reason they say it's for drones is that it identifies the drone/camera/lens and adjusts how it processes them accordingly. You'll notice when you drag and drop or reprocess an image, it tells you what drone and camera it is working on, on the screen. And yes it might work well on other photographs too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme