Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Obstacle avoidance and Flight Time?

Hawkwind

Join
Apr 19, 2018
Loc
AL, USA
Has anyone looked into whether or not switching off obstacle avoidance will give you more flight time? I may try this myself, but was wondering if anyone else had tried this.

You'll fly faster, covering more ground, so the flight time might be the same, but you'll get more from it.

There's nothing to hit up there so turn them off.

I switch it on/off as needed.

If my photo op is away from me, I'll fly Sport mode to and from the scene to save time, then switch the OA on once I'm there.

Hello, I am spending a few days near the beach and on the beach I use the sport mode and change the possibility of doing more and better shots, on the waves flying fast backwards, I love it. Regards

So, I regularly use sport mode to get to/from a spot of interest, but I was more interested in switching off OA while in P mode to increase flight time. The assumption is that it would consume less power, which might give you a bit more flight time. Since the motors are drawing a lot of current, not running the OA process(es) may not be significant in terms of power management.

So, I regularly use sport mode to get to/from a spot of interest, but I was more interested in switching off OA while in P mode to increase flight time. The assumption is that it would consume less power, which might give you a bit more flight time. Since the motors are drawing a lot of current, not running the OA process(es) may not be significant in terms of power management.
Would seem like a negligible amount of power usage for OA but might be worth a couple of tests to find out. I find the only time I use OA is when I'm using a camera mode that requires it. Otherwise I find it slows one down too much or gets in the way in tight quarters when I would like to use it.

Even with the OA off, the Spark still emits an infrared beam to warn you when you are close to something.

It just won't stop automatically.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Turning off obstacle avoidance alone may increase flight time compared to P-mode but you will get the best time flight by flying in the range of 30~35kmph speed, turning smoothly and avoiding sudden acceleration and braking.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe