Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Ocho Rios Jamaica

How was Jamaica about drone flying? Going to Negril next April and taking Spark and Mavic Air. I looked up their drone laws, and all seems reasonable, but you know how attitudes change!

How was Jamaica about drone flying? Going to Negril next April and taking Spark and Mavic Air. I looked up their drone laws, and all seems reasonable, but you know how attitudes change!
I'm a local. Live in Kingston. To be honest we don't have much restrictions here with drones. Once your not flying for commercial purposes you should be alright. I would say once your being safe and responsible with your flying and not making a nuisance to other guests you should be good to go!

I'm a local. Live in Kingston. To be honest we don't have much restrictions here with drones. Once your not flying for commercial purposes you should be alright. I would say once your being safe and responsible with your flying and not making a nuisance to other guests you should be good to go!
Thank you! Better to hear from a local, always!
Jim

love this pic. Jamaica one of my favourite places . Must be because I got married there

I know this thread is months old, but I'm flying into Jamaica in a week. I plan on taking my DJI Spark to capture some great footage of the scenery and resort. I've searched many forums for info on this and wanted others to be able to find this information easily, so I'm posting it here for future reference. I'll update my actual experience when I return in a couple weeks.

Here is what I've done so far:
-I've researched rules on my airline (Delta) for bringing drones and the only restriction at this point are for LiPo batteries. (carry-on only, limits on size, etc)
My batteries will travel in LiPo Fire-safe Bags purchased on Amazon.com.
-I tried contacting the JCAA (aviation authority) last month with no response. I've printed out their Operation Rules for UAV's to bring along.
-I have studied all the UAS flight rules for Jamaica so as not to violate any restrictions. One is to gain permission on private property, which I have done. I was granted permission from the General Manager of Sandals Ochi Beach Resort in Ocho Rios where I'll be staying.
-As far as the airport customs, I can find no restrictions from bringing it into the country, other than travel with receipts for the equipment.
-I’ll be operating in a clear area far enough from the airport in Ocho, so all looks good there.
-The resort manager did warn me that a lot of drones get confiscated at Customs. He also mentioned to not declare it or they may take it. Not really sure how current his info is, but that was his suggestion.
-In my research, I did find drone footage on YouTube from this resort. I contacted the drone operator and asked who they had gotten permission to fly from. He indicted he didn't, just flew it without notifying anyone. He did say one security guard told him to shut it down at one point. I like to follow rules, so I contacted the resort about it for myself.

Update: Jamaica trip
Not one issue at TSA or airline on either end.
No one at the resort approached me when flying except a groundskeeper who was fascinated by the drone. The Spark traveled well on the plane and the Dakkit case provided great protection. I flew over the ocean with zero problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme