Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Ok, back to feeling unsure

Glen e

Join
May 27, 2017
ok troops, I welcome input.....

Running all updates avail.

6 13 min flights yesterday, close, no problems

Today, On 2nd flight after doing nothing but going up and down street at 12 feet, I get "gimbal overload"....3 min later it clears...

Now here's the one that has me pissed. On next flight, I maneuver the AC 4 feet in air, 10 forward. And suddenly get black screen and then DISCONNECTED appears. AC conntinues to hover RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME...... RC shows red LED. i exit program and reload it, it comes back, took 3-4 min I was not in control.

At no time was I never less than 15 sats.....however, this is 1st flight with the stick landing gear attached.....

What's the procedure I going to look at more information that might tell me what happened?

I can't have this happen, too much cardiac stress...I'm serious.....

Last edited:
Mine has been plagued with problems from the day i got it constantly dis connect can not fly more than 100 meters from me the drone and controller de linked took 3 days to fix poor video quality i keep getting told to wait and issues will be resolved and i have had more help from here than from dji they just basically said its not their problem and offered no help what so ever. But i just did update and will see how it goes later today

Are either of you flying with the remote controller connected via Wi-Fi? If so, try disabling Bluetooth on your mobile device.

Are either of you flying with the remote controller connected via Wi-Fi? If so, try disabling Bluetooth on your mobile device.

I'm Flying with spark RC controller, as I said, I fly in airplane mode 100% of the time on the mobile device.im going to fly several flights this weekend. If this continues, I'm putting this up for sale and go back to my trusty Mavic.....which in 8 months and hundreds of flights NEVER has disconnected.

Msinger a question: when it disconnected, it just hovered nicely. I assume that the AC is in no danger until I can get out of the go app and reload it. But since the LED of the RC was red, could I just recycle the RC, wait for green link and go?. IN OTHER WORDS , what the quickest way to get back in control?

Actually another question, if the controller is lost and app disconnects, why didn't this situation kick on the RTH?

Last edited:
So, you're flying with an OTG cable then?

Yes, flying with OTG cable you recommend in your posts.

It sounds like your remote controller is disconnecting from the Spark (hence the red light). I've never heard of restarting the app to make it reconnect though. My remote controller is able to stay connected to my Spark even when my OTG cable is disconnected.

Agreed, I'm sure the app restart had little to do with it and it was the controller reconnecting that solved the problem.

So will the bird just sit there and Hover while I recycle the controller? And why did not the RTH kick in?

I'm starting to wonder - how many of the Spark owners experiencing 1) fly aways and 2) 'drop from the sky' are using OTG? Reading this and other fora as well as a number of FB groups, it seems that very few use the Spark RC as designed and recommended by DJI. Also, it seems like the majority are constantly pushing the Spark to the limit in terms of distance - yes, it is advertised as up to 1.2 miles (under optimal circumstances and with the RC), but it is also markered as an advanced selfie drone using wifi. It is not a Mavic Pro, it is not a Phantom 4.

I'm not saying all issues are pilot errors - I'm just wondering...

Morten

Cmon...read it again....the AC was 5 feet in front of me when it disconnected....

Cmon...read it again....the AC was 5 feet in front of me when it disconnected....

And you are flying with OTG and phone in flight mode - this is strongly recommended against by DJI. I have only connected my RC using OTG once and I got several warnings that this connection might not be supported. Again, I am not making accusations - I just notice that a lot of users are using their equipment in a manner not recommended by DJI - but quite the opposite...

Nope, airplane mode kills everything on the phone. And the "not supported "
messages because the OTG cable is not an Apple accessory that's got the ID chip in it. You get it all the time with many other cables that you use. It is certainly not telling you that the OTG outlet is not supported.

It is certainly not telling you that the OTG outlet is not supported.
True - but DJI Support has made it very clear in a number of chats referenced in this and other sites.

Anyway - I will leave the issue analysis to DJI techs. And will try not to use OTG for my own Spark (eventhough gimbal lag was significantly reduced when using it...)

Just saw this in Official DJI Spark Owners on FB...

Attachments

• IMG_9913.PNG
    IMG_9913.PNG
    262.4 KB · Views: 56
Yeah so that doesn't tell us much… I've seen conflicting data from DJI teCHS for the last six months on various things. And whoever wrote that condemns it , until he figures out he didn't ask enough data.

So to the rest of the form, or suddenly we now saying that OTG cables are not to be used?

I suspect it's a 'Use at your own risk' choice. My CrystalSky works great without the cable so that's what I'm going to use.

I think we got diverted from the real problem. The RC WiFi unlinked with no notice, to the AC.

Doesn't really have much to do with the OTG cable....

But apart from that - has anybody experienced issues after last week's app and firmware updates?

Ok after researching all aft and reading countless threads here and on other forums, it looks like two things might be causing this for me.

Many are reporting this to happen when the AC is getting hot after flying multiple batteries. It's happening on 2nd batt, etc. and yesterday it was 92 here and I flew in the direct overhead sun.

Also happening more to people flying 5.6 rather than 2.4.

Many are reporting this to happen when the AC is getting hot after flying multiple batteries. It's happening on 2nd batt, etc. and yesterday it was 92 here and I flew in the direct overhead sun.

Also happening more to people flying 5.6 rather than 2.4.

This makes sense - according to the DJI site specs, max. operating temp. is 104 degrees F. Re. the frequency, if I'm not mistaken 5GHz has better bandwith (which is probably the reason you get better video stream) but shorter range.

Maybe it is a good thing that summer temps rarely get above 70 here...

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme