Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Old Guy with Iphone 5

Tom Croley

Join
Nov 7, 2017
New to Forum... from WA state.

OK... so I'm an old guy, 70, all I have is an Iphone 5, and Ipad 2 (old one), Windows 7, and Current Linux both on a PC. My Iphone is standard 5, not the 5S but it has IOS 10+

I ordered a Spark Bundle the other day. It arrives this week. Can I get it up and running and enjoy it using any or all of the above? Or do I have to buy an new device of some kind. Don't really want to.

I have flown hot RC planes for years... This is my first nice drone.

Shouldn't be a problem...I use my old 2013 Nexus 7 tablet and a windows 7 PC to run the DJI Assistant for Spark firmware updates, and I have no problems what so ever...

Welcome to Spark Pilots! :)

You can find a compatible mobile device here.

Well, I talked to the wife about the phone and we both agreed to an upgrade. Bought an Iphone SE from Walmart for $129.00. I tried the activation by scanning the QR code and it simply refused to scan. Tried many times using both the box and the battery compartment. Back to google, I found a video that explains how to activate.... the scan failed again so I used the "traditional method". I went to my phones settings and setup a wifi connection using the default name and password on the box. Then I turned on the drone, started the App, and waited for it to connect, and it did. I fumbled around for a while and finally I think I clicked on the equipment Icon and it started the long sought activation dialog. The key is setting up the network, connecting, then fumbling until you get it. Old people fumble well. Oh... I think it connected when I pushed and held the battery button until it beeped twice and the big status led's turned green.

The directions that came with the drone are too finely printed to read so I downloaded a manual in .pdf format. It was way better for reading. It never mentions any "traditional method" so you really get frustrated trying to scan that QR code.... and I am good with QR codes.

Well, I finally got it activated and made my first 1 minute flight with whatever was left of the battery after that long ordeal. I managed to hover in the living room for 1 minute, scare the dog, and shoot a very short video of my wife. Yea!!

Reactions: sohpg and Jonep
Hey Tom. Im just a few years behind you and as long as you are inspired by making things, taking photos and still willing to learn then your one like me of a breed to know how everything works. Good luck with the drone. I have never lost my inspiration to build and fly RC and having just sold my Phantom 3 pro and looking to buy a Spark or Mavic platinum, not sure yet if I have to raid the money box.

Hey Tom. Im just a few years behind you and as long as you are inspired by making things, taking photos and still willing to learn then your one like me of a breed to know how everything works. Good luck with the drone. I have never lost my inspiration to build and fly RC and having just sold my Phantom 3 pro and looking to buy a Spark or Mavic platinum, not sure yet if I have to raid the money box.

As a long time RC flyer that has always had "everything manual, nothing automatic, it all depends on you type of flying", it is difficult to get used to trusting this little bird to do what it is suppose to do. It is also hard to adjust to something so small. The size makes you dependent on its clever systems much of the time since I don't see like I used too. It is nice to be able to fly place where I would never dream of flying my planes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit