Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Only if it were true...

andrew reeves

Join
May 27, 2017
one reviewers thoughts about the FAA not requiring registration for the Spark, see the Spark on the scale (no battery, huh?) about mid way down. Also, note that impressive wireless charge idea. (Waste of time) for sure. Enjoy.

one reviewers thoughts about the FAA not requiring registration for the Spark, see the Spark on the scale (no battery, huh?) about mid way down. Also, note that impressive wireless charge idea. (Waste of time) for sure. Enjoy.

I could be wrong but I thought that the appeals court struck down a Federal Aviation Administration rule that required owners of drones used for recreation to register their craft.

Huh? FAA registration is no longer needed for any recreational drone.

The ruling in essence:
The FAA’s Registration Rule violates Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act. We grant Taylor’s petition for review of the Registration Rule, and we vacate the Registration Rule to the extent it applies to model aircraft. Because Taylor’s petition for review of Advisory Circular 91- 57A is untimely, that petition is denied.

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/inter...20585258125004FBC13/$file/15-1495-1675918.pdf

I was original referencing the reviews hopes that the weigh would be below the 250 grams, that's why I stated "Only if it were true..."

The ruling is against the FAA. Drone Pilots win this one. No registration required for recreational drone use in the USA. I think this subject has been beaten to death on MP already.

"In short, the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act provides that the FAA “may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft,” yet the FAA’s 2015 Registration Rule is a “rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.” Statutory interpretation does not get much simpler. The Registration Rule is unlawful as applied to model aircraft."

From what I understand though, DJI put an 'activation' and account link requirement for new drones in their new DJI Go app. I'm not sure how this will effect existing users or if DJI is just ignoring them and starting from scratch at this point.
This essentially still creates a drone registry but instead of being under the eye of a government agency, it's DJI doing the oversight.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So...someone please tell the maker of our drones to stop corporate regulating the software updates and listen to the consumers for once. Hands off. If there is a problem in the software, the makers, (corporate) are supposed to fix it, (the real reason for updates) not curb or regulate how a product after the sale is to be used. Unless, that was disclosed at the time of that sale, downsizing, changing the parameters, or removing/adding restrictions is NOT what I thought I bought prior to the new restrictive updates that now plaque and remove the enjoyment from my product that I was promised when I made that purchase. Unless DJI wants the press, that the FAA is now getting from the federal courts, they had better roll back their thoughts of curtailing the products abilities that are and were the reason the sale of that product took place in the fisrt place. Any brave thoughts, folks? Oh, I have liability insurance, will all the money pouring into DJI they can afford it too. Get some and leave our drones alone.

If you have the Part 107 cert, you still have to register, I may be wrong, but I think the Spark would have to be registered too in that case.

If you have the Part 107 cert, you still have to register, I may be wrong, but I think the Spark would have to be registered too in that case.

Only if Spark is used in some part for commercial use. If the Spark isn't used for any commercial use than registration is optional even if the pilot has a 107 cert. The entire FAA registration for recreational use is optional now that the 'requirement' part was squashed in court.

Only if Spark is used in some part for commercial use. If the Spark isn't used for any commercial use than registration is optional even if the pilot has a 107 cert. The entire FAA registration for recreational use is optional now that the 'requirement' part was squashed in court.
It's only $5, so I think I will register it. That way if my Mavic is down for some reason, I'll have a back-up of sorts. Even though the Spark isn't as good as the Mavic, it's better than nothing.

It's only $5, so I think I will register it. That way if my Mavic is down for some reason, I'll have a back-up of sorts. Even though the Spark isn't as good as the Mavic, it's better than nothing.

You register your self not the drone your number for your mavic is valid for all of your drones

You register your self not the drone your number for your mavic is valid for all of your drones
Hmm...I thought that model and serial# was needed for registration

From FAA website
We are carefully reviewing the U.S. Court of Appeals decision (PDF) as it relates to drone registrations. We are in the process of considering our response to the decision as well as any registration implications for non-commercial users. Please check this website regularly for further updates and instructions.

In the meantime, we encourage registration for all drone operators.

Was only true if you registered for recreational purposes. If you register as a commercial drone, each gets its own number.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme