Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG and USB-C

Northwood Mediaworks

Former Spark & Mavic Air 2 Flyer
Premium Pilot
Join
Jan 15, 2018
Loc
Northern Ontario, Canada
Web
northwoodmediaworks.com
Okay, so I did search on this, but so far, nothing discussed or posted has worked for me.... I usually fly with iPhones and never an issue with those devices, but I have recently acquired a Galaxy Note 9, and I ordered a Spark compatible OTG USB-C cable so I could use this device too.

I have tried every combination of starting things in different orders, plugging in first, or last, nothing seems to work. I have never used Go4 on this device, and it comes up with the pick your aircraft thang, and never seems to remember my choice after restarting the app. I have of course logged in.

I could use a prod in the right direction. I turned on USB debgging in the developer options even. Andriod 9 on a Note 9.

I feel like a noob all over again. Kinda weird!

All comments welcome, thanks in advance.

Try going into the settings and look at the connection. It will say something like "file transfer" or something else. Choose a different one. Sorry this is a little vague, but you need to the controller plugged in to choose and I don't, at the moment, but that should fix it.

Try going into the settings and look at the connection. It will say something like "file transfer" or something else. Choose a different one. Sorry this is a little vague, but you need to the controller plugged in to choose and I don't, at the moment, but that should fix it.

Thanks, I will give that a try. I waited about 4 weeks for this cable to come in from Taiwan, sure hope its not a dud! Of course I still have my iPhone too, so not like I cant fly, but was looking forward to using the note's most excellent screen.

. Plug lead into controller while controller is turned off

. Turn on controller

. When message pops up select charge only

. Should show pop up message to select what app to start, select dji go4 you can also click checkbox to make dji go4 default app to open when otg plugged in.

. Dji go4 will then open and should show spark at the top, power on spark and then click fly or whatever it says once spark is connected.

My routine for 300+ flights(Galaxy Note8 with Android 9):
  • Turn off WIFI in my device. Then I'll be sure RC-Device connection will use cabled connection.
  • Turn on RC with cable inserted in RC end.
  • Wait for red led to stop blinking (searching for wifi)
  • When red led is solid, connect device end of otg cable. A popup window on device will show compatible app like GO 4, Litchi etc..
  • Tap the preferred app.
  • Now I activate/power on my Spark, and normally connection is established in less than 20 sec. RC should be close to Spark. 2ft/50cm would be optimal.
  • Go Fly
Have not done any modifications in my device like developer options or anything else.
Most problems with OTG is related to wrong cable or wrong way cable/connectors.
OTG is directional, will only work when used the correct "way".
Do not bother if your device says something about charging.
This was introduced with Android 9, and is normal.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: SoccerRef12
Together with my backup spark there was An otg USB c cable included.
Doesn' t work . Wit a split one no problems.

For me

EQUIPMENT
-Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (Already powered up, my phone)
-Apple iPad Mini 5 (power up and WiFi to Note 8)
-Spark/Remote

START UP
-Remote
-Spark
-App

Wow, some great suggestions, thanks everyone. Going to give it a whirl over the weekend and see what happens. However, I have a large distraction, got a newer (used) vehicle today, so will be playing around with Android Auto to get that working! Now that I am retired, I can drive at the speed limit with the turn signal going for miles and miles! LOL....

northwoodride_-jpg.12396

Attachments

• northwoodride_.jpg
    northwoodride_.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: McCloudSpark
I can drive at the speed limit with the turn signal going for miles and miles! LOL....

Nice ride.

My vehicle surprised me once by telling me it was still blinking after making a lane change.

I looked at my wife and said the truck said I was old.

This OTG USB C works well with my Spark and Samsung Galaxy S10+

I've seen a lot of posts about android, lucky I've never had an issue w LG or Samsung actaully I'm using 2 Android devices at the moment - one being wifi only. Just to prove a point to myself that it's otg cable related imho in most cases. Then again I don't use many apps (only if it's serving a good purpose) and use good usb cables from like Belkin etc. AIDA64 gives good info including anything plugged in. I'm sure there has to be an event viewer type app might help pin point any issues before taking a shotgun to the android device. (;

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe