Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG Cable doesn't fit in controller ~ Solutions?

nyjumpee

Join
Jan 5, 2019
Hi! I'm sure this has been addressed but did a quick search and don't see anything specific. My Samsung Note 4 fits great in the Spark Controller BUT I can't get it to fit with the OTG Cable. . It fits through the "upper" part of the clearance hole in the fold-out arms, but not the lower part where the "Phone Gripper Fingers" are. I'd rather not have to get a clamp-on external holder if I don't have to. . .anyone found a solution for this? Longer, thinner OTG cable connector? I'd rather not have to clamp the phone so the connector is BELOW the fold out arms. . .it's not an ideal position and can fall out easier. Thanks in advance. PS If an external holder is the only way (other than taking a Mototool to my controller) which one do you prefer? THANKS!

Hi! I'm sure this has been addressed but did a quick search and don't see anything specific. My Samsung Note 4 fits great in the Spark Controller BUT I can't get it to fit with the OTG Cable. . It fits through the "upper" part of the clearance hole in the fold-out arms, but not the lower part where the "Phone Gripper Fingers" are. I'd rather not have to get a clamp-on external holder if I don't have to. . .anyone found a solution for this? Longer, thinner OTG cable connector? I'd rather not have to clamp the phone so the connector is BELOW the fold out arms. . .it's not an ideal position and can fall out easier. Thanks in advance. PS If an external holder is the only way (other than taking a Mototool to my controller) which one do you prefer? THANKS!
View attachment 9129
This is my spark controller I use an otg cable with my ipad mini 2 on my mavic platinum control

The mavic controller I use the bottom USB again with the normal cable that plugs into my mini ipad 2. I don't use the connector at top of mavic controller too awkward. Hope this helps regards Irvine
1552148348145.jpeg1552148381727.jpeg1552148491204.jpeg1552148539897.jpeg1552149183198.jpeg

Hey Irvine ~ Thanks for the reply ~ but my problem isn't plugging it into the controller. . I use the bottom micro usb input as well, just like you. . the issue is getting the other end into my phone when it's in the fold-out arms. . the hole in the arm isn't quite wide enough to fit the connector into my phone. Also looking for a nice, braided, 12" micro usb to micro usb otg cable. . .thanks again.

Hey Irvine ~ Thanks for the reply ~ but my problem isn't plugging it into the controller. . I use the bottom micro usb input as well, just like you. . the issue is getting the other end into my phone when it's in the fold-out arms. . the hole in the arm isn't quite wide enough to fit the connector into my phone. Also looking for a nice, braided, 12" micro usb to micro usb otg cable. . .thanks again.
Yes I understand I don't use openings in the controllers they are 2 small. Have you not got a holder you can fit any phone or ipad into it. The otg cables are free. I got the fibre cables one for my android and one for my ipad see photos. Got these from Amazon. Hope this helps1552151113798.jpeg

Hey Irvine ~ I'm just using my phone as a display. . not a huge Ipad or Crystalsky or anything. . .so less is more. . I don't have an external holder that clamps onto the controller. . but yes, that would be a solution to go with if there's no other way. One of the issues I've seen with the external holder is that most of them are designed to be used with larger displays, like Ipads (since the controller itself is designed to fit most phones, so no external holder required) and I've seen complaints that since most of the holders are "spring loaded" and my relatively small Note 4 is at the smallest end of the adjustment and the springs don't tend to hold the phone that well. . .maybe if there was an external mount that didn't use a spring but instead some kind of adjustment? Also looking for a 12" OTG cable that has Micro USB on BOTH ends so as not to need an adapter. Thanks!

Hey Irvine ~ I'm just using my phone as a display. . not a huge Ipad or Crystalsky or anything. . .so less is more. . I don't have an external holder that clamps onto the controller. . but yes, that would be a solution to go with if there's no other way. One of the issues I've seen with the external holder is that most of them are designed to be used with larger displays, like Ipads (since the controller itself is designed to fit most phones, so no external holder required) and I've seen complaints that since most of the holders are "spring loaded" and my relatively small Note 4 is at the smallest end of the adjustment and the springs don't tend to hold the phone that well. . .maybe if there was an external mount that didn't use a spring but instead some kind of adjustment? Also looking for a 12" OTG cable that has Micro USB on BOTH ends so as not to need an adapter. Thanks!

Hello nyjumpee.

Here is a post I made a while back that may be of interest if a tablet holder is in your future and using a phone with a tablet holder.

Reactions: nyjumpee
Hello nyjumpee.

Here is a post I made a while back that may be of interest if a tablet holder is in your future and using a phone with a tablet holder.
Good idea and thanks for the reply. What table holder is that? Funny thing is I don't use a case with my phone (I know. . bad idea) but hey, it's not one of the latest-and-greatest $1000 phones. . you can get these Note4's for $100 on ebay so I'm not too choked if I drop it every year or so. .I do have a pretty solid Screen Protector on it which has saved me more times than I care to guess! The idea behind getting the Spark was to "keep it simple". I can always have it with me, Spark and Controller fit into the tiny bag it comes with. . didn't want to have OTG cable, prop guards, charger, external display holder, sun shade, etc. . .I'm gettin' ready to crack out the Mototool and hack the opening on the controller so I can get the cable to fit. . ALMOST. . .thanks again for the input and I'm still keeping my eye out for a holder than is more "clamp like" and doesn't rely on a spring. . .or maybe just get a cheapee and add a rubber band to the back ;-) Thanks again!

Good idea and thanks for the reply. What table holder is that? Funny thing is I don't use a case with my phone (I know. . bad idea) but hey, it's not one of the latest-and-greatest $1000 phones. . you can get these Note4's for $100 on ebay so I'm not too choked if I drop it every year or so. .I do have a pretty solid Screen Protector on it which has saved me more times than I care to guess! The idea behind getting the Spark was to "keep it simple". I can always have it with me, Spark and Controller fit into the tiny bag it comes with. . didn't want to have OTG cable, prop guards, charger, external display holder, sun shade, etc. . .I'm gettin' ready to crack out the Mototool and hack the opening on the controller so I can get the cable to fit. . ALMOST. . .thanks again for the input and I'm still keeping my eye out for a holder than is more "clamp like" and doesn't rely on a spring. . .or maybe just get a cheapee and add a rubber band to the back ;-) Thanks again!

The tablet holder is from Dirty J. Designs.

When I purchased my Spark in 2017, there wasn't too many holders available so I chose this one as it can breakdown to a small size.

It was a third of the price of the Mavmount system which is well liked by those that have it.
Today there are plenty of mounts available to choose from.

I like to use this Lanyard when I fly without a tablet holder.

It's good to have a life line and protect your investment and it helps to keep your hands free if needed.

View attachment 9129

The openings in the RC arms aren't symmetrical and neither are the ports on many phones. I just rotate my phone 180 degrees and it fits fine

If your can't modify your phone or OTG cable AND you won't use a separate phone mount...

You can modify your RC arms to your liking in a few seconds with a Dremel tool.

And if you don't have the stomach for that then WiFi works just fine too.

The openings in the RC arms aren't symmetrical and neither are the ports on many phones. I just rotate my phone 180 degrees and it fits fine

If your can't modify your phone or OTG cable AND you won't use a separate phone mount...

You can modify your RC arms to your liking in a few seconds with a Dremel tool.

And if you don't have the stomach for that then WiFi works just fine too.
Hmmm. . .the arms definitely look symmetrical on my controller. . .I flipped the phone 180 degrees. . .same amount of interference. . .iPhones and Samsungs have the charging port dead center in the bottom. . .it'd be nice if it WAS off center a bit in this case. . .what phones don't have the port dead center. .maybe look into that?

You say I can't modify the phone. . .correct. .but I probably CAN modify the OTG connector. . .grind a bit of the plastic on the connector. .it's worth a shot. . $7 as opposed to a $550 drone that's still under warranty? Hmmmm. . .tough decision. . .plus where I'd need to grind on the arms is exactly where the rubber gripper fingers are so it won't hold as well. I've used Wifi. . .but seems what I read on this forum and on your website, OTG provides a more stable/better connection and helps eliminate RF interference, right?

And bottom line, if WiFi is sketchy and can't get the OTG cable to fit, last resort is add more hardware to the setup. . Anyone have a preferred external phone holder? Thanks.

Some days before, was wondering how I can fit my phone, with its case, in my RC.

Found this and ordered it.

It's cheap and can be modified easily.

For otg cable, you have many options, like this.

Remember that otg cables have polarity. You should mark the specific end that fits on controller.

Last edited:
Hmmm. . .the arms definitely look symmetrical on my controller. . .I flipped the phone 180 degrees. . .same amount of interference. . .iPhones and Samsungs have the charging port dead center in the bottom. . .it'd be nice if it WAS off center a bit in this case. . .what phones don't have the port dead center. .maybe look into that?

You say I can't modify the phone. . .correct. .but I probably CAN modify the OTG connector. . .grind a bit of the plastic on the connector. .it's worth a shot. . $7 as opposed to a $550 drone that's still under warranty? Hmmmm. . .tough decision. . .plus where I'd need to grind on the arms is exactly where the rubber gripper fingers are so it won't hold as well. I've used Wifi. . .but seems what I read on this forum and on your website, OTG provides a more stable/better connection and helps eliminate RF interference, right?

And bottom line, if WiFi is sketchy and can't get the OTG cable to fit, last resort is add more hardware to the setup. . Anyone have a preferred external phone holder? Thanks.

Those all sound like very workable solutions.

I always use phone mount because it allows better view of device screen and also better grip on RC arms. Perfectly balanced and good view of joysticks too. No interference with antenna position.

Hi I also use that cable it's great
Some days before, was wondering how I can fit my phone, with its case, in my RC.

Remember that otg cables have polarity. You should mark the specific end that fits on controller.

Not braided but I found this micro to micro usb OTG. CableCreation Micro USB to Micro USB OTG Cable, Male to Male, Compatible DJI Spark and Mavic, PS4, Android Phone and Tablet, DAC and More,8 inch / 20CM, Black Amazon.com: CableCreation Micro USB to Micro USB OTG Cable, Male to Male, Compatible DJI Spark and Mavic, PS4, Android Phone and Tablet, DAC and More,8 inch / 20CM, Black: Computers & Accessories

Those all sound like very workable solutions.

I always use phone mount because it allows better view of device screen and also better grip on RC arms. Perfectly balanced and good view of joysticks too. No interference with antenna position.

View attachment 9159

View attachment 9160
Hey Andre ~ that looks AWESOME! One thing you mentioned that I forgot to mention that with any solution I didn't want to interfere with the antenna position or signal. I also Like Imel's solution. . .don't know if you saw it. . first time I've seen something like that. . simple solution. . .you should take a look if you haven't already. . .only thing is its from Alibaba so shipping could take a while. . .Do you have a link to that Phone holder that I'm guessing is yours? (great picture). I'd order that like NOW until the Alibaba express get here. ..thanks for sticking with it!

Not braided but I found this micro to micro usb OTG. CableCreation Micro USB to Micro USB OTG Cable, Male to Male, Compatible DJI Spark and Mavic, PS4, Android Phone and Tablet, DAC and More,8 inch / 20CM, Black Amazon.com: CableCreation Micro USB to Micro USB OTG Cable, Male to Male, Compatible DJI Spark and Mavic, PS4, Android Phone and Tablet, DAC and More,8 inch / 20CM, Black: Computers & Accessories

Or this one. CableCreation Micro USB to Micro USB Cable, (0.56ft to 5ft) Coiled Micro USB OTG Cable with Gold Plated Connector and Aluminium Shell for Android Smart Phones, Tablets, DJI Remote and More, Black Amazon.com: CableCreation Micro USB to Micro USB Cable, (0.56ft to 5ft) Coiled Micro USB OTG Cable with Gold Plated Connector and Aluminium Shell for Android Smart Phones, Tablets, DJI Remote and More, Black: Computers & Accessories

Hey David ~ that's actually the EXACT cable that I have. It's perfect if the phone can go in the existing holder. . I just figured that if I have to mount it in some kind of external mount, it might need to be just a bit longer so as not to bend the cable too tightly. . .for some reason, I CAN'T find a 12" braided cable. . .I'm just thinking a braided cable is somewhat more flexible and not as prone to shorting out due to overbending. Thanks. . .PS I saw CableCreation has a 12" version of this. . .

Or this one. CableCreation Micro USB to Micro USB Cable, (0.56ft to 5ft) Coiled Micro USB OTG Cable with Gold Plated Connector and Aluminium Shell for Android Smart Phones, Tablets, DJI Remote and More, Black Amazon.com: CableCreation Micro USB to Micro USB Cable, (0.56ft to 5ft) Coiled Micro USB OTG Cable with Gold Plated Connector and Aluminium Shell for Android Smart Phones, Tablets, DJI Remote and More, Black: Computers & Accessories
Ya know, I saw that one too. . .I think that sucker uncoils to like 3 feet or something like that! Don't need THAT much! Guess it can't hurt. .thanks.

Hey Imel! PERFECT! Can't believe such a simple solution and never occurred to me. I'm ordering that ASAP. Great idea. . .great solution. ..thank you!

Hey Andre ~ that looks AWESOME! One thing you mentioned that I forgot to mention that with any solution I didn't want to interfere with the antenna position or signal. I also Like Imel's solution. . .don't know if you saw it. . first time I've seen something like that. . simple solution. . .you should take a look if you haven't already. . .only thing is its from Alibaba so shipping could take a while. . .Do you have a link to that Phone holder that I'm guessing is yours? (great picture). I'd order that like NOW until the Alibaba express get here. ..thanks for sticking with it!

I got mine on Amazon with free Prime shipping. If you search Amazon for "DJI phone holder" it's offered by many different sellers. Mine only cost $8.50 (I tried to post link but not working on this site)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef