Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG cable

Join
Jan 8, 2019
I recently purchased a spark and I've done a lot of YouTube video research about the OTG cable. I use the remote controller and a tablet currently to control my spark but was trying to hook up an OTG cable. I turned off the Wi-Fi on tablet and hooked the OTG cable from the tablet to the controller and it seems that the controller almost goes into a charging State as if you were charging it instead of connecting the tablet and controller together through the cable. Any help on how to actually get disconnected or did I waste money on OTG cable. And I don't know if the new version of the DJI go 4 app is maybe a walking out the OTG cable feature?

try your cable included with the bird. Your OTG cable may be "charge only", and not have a complete wiring scheme. This has happened to me before :)

try your cable included with the bird. Your OTG cable may be "charge only", and not have a complete wiring scheme. This has happened to me before :)

Not all Spark packages come with OTG cables.

I recently purchased a spark and I've done a lot of YouTube video research about the OTG cable. I use the remote controller and a tablet currently to control my spark but was trying to hook up an OTG cable. I turned off the Wi-Fi on tablet and hooked the OTG cable from the tablet to the controller and it seems that the controller almost goes into a charging State as if you were charging it instead of connecting the tablet and controller together through the cable. Any help on how to actually get disconnected or did I waste money on OTG cable. And I don't know if the new version of the DJI go 4 app is maybe a walking out the OTG cable feature?

What sort of tablet are you using? USB OTG has been around for a while but it's not inconceivable that your tablet doesn't support it, especially if it's a bit long in the tooth.

My tablet's charge indicator is active when I'm plugged into the RC via the OTG cable, but the cable is definitely doing its job handling the communication between the tablet, RC and drone. The impact on the RC's battery life is inconsequential in my experience.

What sort of tablet are you using? USB OTG has been around for a while but it's not inconceivable that your tablet doesn't support it, especially if it's a bit long in the tooth.

My tablet's charge indicator is active when I'm plugged into the RC via the OTG cable, but the cable is definitely doing its job handling the communication between the tablet, RC and drone. The impact on the RC's battery life is inconsequential in my experience.
So if I plug the OTG cable into the tablet first and then plug it into the controller after the controller links to the Drone dot-dot. The controller goes into a charging State as if you're charging it from a USB cable but with the app open it never actually connects my device unless I use Wi-Fi but the point of the OTG cable is to eliminate the Wi-Fi connection

So if I plug the OTG cable into the tablet first and then plug it into the controller after the controller links to the Drone dot-dot. The controller goes into a charging State as if you're charging it from a USB cable but with the app open it never actually connects my device unless I use Wi-Fi but the point of the OTG cable is to eliminate the Wi-Fi connection
I forgot to tell you I'm using a Galaxy Tab S2

With RC and Spark off and the tablet on and unlocked, try plugging the tablet into the controller using the OTG cable. Then turn only the RC on. If the DJI GO 4 app doesn't launch automatically, launch it.

Wait 10-20 seconds, and you should see RC CONNECTED display in the lower left corner of the DJI GO 4 main screen. Now, turn on the Spark and wait another 10-20 seconds. The RC CONNECTED indicator should change to just CONNECTED and the blue bar in the lower right corner of the screen should say GO FLY. You should now be able to proceed to the status and subsequently the control screen to fly the Spark.

If that doesn't happen, turn the Spark and RC off, then repeat the process with the OTG cable reversed end-for-end.

If you're still not successful, please report back. Good luck!

Reactions: Katt72

I've been assuming that the OTG (On the Go) cable that came with my Spark was THE standard form of connecting a mobile device to the RC. What's the advantage, if any, of a Wi-Fi only connection?

It seems to me that OTG, being a solid reliable wired connection will always be more reliable than a WiFi connection. As an analogy, think of a fixed line copper wire telephone call as opposed to a mobile to mobile call. Fixed line copper is way more reliable, with far better speech quality and no dropouts.

Do you get a massage when you connect the two devices? When I connect a usb device to my android (Huawei P20) a usb icon pop ups in the top bar. Then I need to select this icon and have different usb options. Standart is just loading, when I choose data transfer the connection to my RC works.

If your remote control is showing it is being charged when connected you need to flip the OTG cable end of end. When using an OTG cable one end (some time marked "Host") must go into the remote the other end to the phone. It is normal for the remote to try to charge the phone/tablet but not the other way around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme