Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG cable.

Sparkfli

Join
Dec 2, 2019
Loc
Queenstown, South Africa
Hi all. Can someone please shed some light on my OTG cable for spark. Why is the socket on the controller rectangular shaped and the cable plug (alghough it fits and works) is a standard cell phone type shape? I can't find a matching OTG anywhere. When I bought my controller I had to buy the OTG cable separately. It seems to fit very loosely and I've got it secured with an elastic band. See pics below.20201117_202033.jpeg20201117_201521.jpeg

I agree that it's a mystery why DJI did that. The cable plug that goes to the controller is a micro USB. Doesn't fit very well, but that's the correct end.

Reactions: twickers14
I decided to stop using the cable a while ago. It’s not worth it fighting with the cable while trying to fly the drone. At least for me with very poor flying skills

I agree it is sort of loose-ish, but it stays securely on mine. I DO have to remember that the little lightning bolt is facing upward when installing it, but not a big deal. Don't have to fight with it at all nor hold it in with an elastic. The benefits of using an OTG far outweigh the minor inconveniences. Maybe try a different one?

Hi all. Can someone please shed some light on my OTG cable for spark. Why is the socket on the controller rectangular shaped and the cable plug (alghough it fits and works) is a standard cell phone type shape? I can't find a matching OTG anywhere. When I bought my controller I had to buy the OTG cable separately. It seems to fit very loosely and I've got it secured with an elastic band. See pics below.View attachment 13499View attachment 13500
The correct type is ' Mini
Hi all. Can someone please shed some light on my OTG cable for spark. Why is the socket on the controller rectangular shaped and the cable plug (alghough it fits and works) is a standard cell phone type shape? I can't find a matching OTG anywhere. When I bought my controller I had to buy the OTG cable separately. It seems to fit very loosely and I've got it secured with an elastic band. See pics below.View attachment 13499View attachment 13500
The correct one is a ' Micro USB A '

Very difficult to find.

I found that even this proper type is 'sloppy' when used for DJI controllers, to the point of not staying properly connected when wiggled bumped or disturbed in any fashion. I, therefore, accuse DJI of using poor quality connectors.

The (hopefully) attached picture shows the correct cable I found (well hidden).

Also note that the cables that DJI provided with my MA2 are just as useless...

HTH !

Attachments

• Micro A USB to C cable.jpg
    Micro A USB to C cable.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
What is that in ther first pic...an extension cable? Not all cables are OTG. If you are extending a non-OTG cable, it will not work.
Assuming what your plugging your controller into is a micro USB, this is what you want:
Micro USB to Micro USB
You DO NOT want the mini or USB C...that is incorrect.

Last edited:
What is that in ther first pic...an extension cable? Not all cables are OTG. If you are extending a non-OTG cable, it will not work.
Assuming what your plugging your controller into is a micro USB, this is what you want:
Micro USB to Micro USB
You DO NOT want the mini or USB C...that is incorrect.
Yet again, the correct plug is micro USB A. The discussion of OTG is another matter. PPL, the specifications for various flavors of USB and it's connectors are readily available in the literature and the differences between micro USB and micro A USB are quite clearly delineated.

Yet again, the correct plug is micro USB A. The discussion of OTG is another matter. PPL, the specifications for various flavors of USB and it's connectors are readily available in the literature and the differences between micro USB and micro A USB are quite clear

Yet again, the correct plug is micro USB A. The discussion of OTG is another matter. PPL, the specifications for various flavors of USB and it's connectors are readily available in the literature and the differences between micro USB and micro A USB are quite clearly delineated.
Isn't that what I said? I tried a regular USB cable...it doesn't work. Must be OTG. And don't mix using the OP's extension cable. Weakest link kind of thing.
Agreed the controller looks like a Micro A, but I use a micro B and it works just fine.

This might explain why mine fits so poorly. I've been running micro A. The micro B plug looks more like the rectangular outside shape of the plug on the controller itself. Now, since I'm running a Crystal Sky, anyone have a known, working cable, source for micro B to USB C?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit