Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Out of beginner mode

Jhumpert

Join
Jan 6, 2019
After having my Spark since November and only having 8 or 9 flights under my belt I felt comfortable enough to go out of beginner mode and try my luck with regular mode. Had today off due to elections and as a state employee we get holiday so wasnt wasting a beautiful Indiana spring day and not flying.

Went to Brown County and found a Mail Pouch tobacco barn that I was able to get some aerial time on. Then went to the state park and was shooting a fire tower and also a cabin that I was shooting and just seemed so slow so I decided to land and switch out of beginner mode and never went back in the rest of my flights. Definetely could tell a speed difference between the 2 modes. Was then shooting a covered bridge and wow so much faster but felt comfortable. Never went back to beginner the rest of the day.

After having my Spark since November and only having 8 or 9 flights under my belt I felt comfortable enough to go out of beginner mode and try my luck with regular mode. Had today off due to elections and as a state employee we get holiday so wasnt wasting a beautiful Indiana spring day and not flying.

Went to Brown County and found a Mail Pouch tobacco barn that I was able to get some aerial time on. Then went to the state park and was shooting a fire tower and also a cabin that I was shooting and just seemed so slow so I decided to land and switch out of beginner mode and never went back in the rest of my flights. Definetely could tell a speed difference between the 2 modes. Was then shooting a covered bridge and wow so much faster but felt comfortable. Never went back to beginner the rest of the day.

Post the pictures over in the photo section if you haven't already.

We'd love to see them. :)

There's a beginner mode? must have skipped that part of the manual...

I just got home so will work on getting them downloaded and will upload some. Have a few videos as well.

BTW the LED lights worked awesome and could definetely see them even in the bright sunlight which helped me to see what direction I was pointing.

I just got home so will work on getting them downloaded and will upload some. Have a few videos as well.

BTW the LED lights worked awesome and could definetely see them even in the bright sunlight which helped me to see what direction I was pointing.

I cant imagine making almost 10 flights limited at 2mph speed. Surely you must have been bored of deathly ill snail speed by the second or third flight??? I made it 2 beginner flights before I was about to pull my hair out taking 3 minutes to go 100 feet. Lol.

Reactions: Jhumpert
I cant imagine making almost 10 flights limited at 2mph speed. Surely you must have been bored of deathly ill snail speed by the second or third flight??? I made it 2 beginner flights before I was about to pull my hair out taking 3 minutes to go 100 feet. Lol.
Well when it is your first drone you have ever had and as expensive as they are I dont take chances with my stuff. Once I shut beginner off everything felt great and probably wont go back to beginner any more. Everybody is different and moves at different paces and me I like to be totally comfortable before I turn myself loose.

I just this morning downloaded the pictures and videos off the card and watched them and yikes I came super close to trees several times.

Will try to upload some files this evening after I get home from work. After watching the videos I notice I keep hitting the right stick so I have several gimble hops where I hit the right stick probably trying to turn but overall great looking videos. Steadiness will come with more practice.

Reactions: Spark 317
I used beginner for a week or so with my first DJI drone ant it helped me develop confidence in flying. Been flying for over a year now and this week was the first time I flew away from direct line of site and safely brought my bird back home with no problem. Just keep flying safely and advance your skills at your own pace.

Agree with jonkyte above. When riding motorcycles, a friend once said "ride your own ride". That has stuck with me. Do your own thing (within regs) , fly it at your own speed and forget the rest of the noise.

This bird has so many settings, I'm almost task-saturated at times. So after having the Spark since December, I still routinely swap in/out of Sport mode. I like the safety factor of P-mode and I'm usually more interested in getting a good shot, rather than racing around the sky like a mad man. But don't get me wrong, I do that too on occasion ;)

Congrats on ditching the training wheels! I did my first two flights in Beginner then never looked back! Watch out for park rangers waving rule books!
Before now my longest flight time had maybe been 30 minutes (2 batteries worth) in the cold so yesterday was the first beautiful day to get out and fly and just get my comfort level up. Was using a PolarPro ND16/FP filter on there and the videos I watched this morning looked absolutely georgeous with the filter in place. I need to do some editing because I keep forgetting to stop the camera so there is a lot of ground action that I want to remove.

Never even seen any DNR around in the state park except once as we were leaving but if they did then I would have shut it down. There was nothing coming up saying No Fly Zone in the state park and the software me launch no problem so had nice clear area so away I went.

I used beginner for a week or so with my first DJI drone ant it helped me develop confidence in flying. Been flying for over a year now and this week was the first time I flew away from direct line of site and safely brought my bird back home with no problem. Just keep flying safely and advance your skills at your own pace.
Thank you, this is my first drone so I am 100% rookie novice. From what I have seen so far I absolutely love this thing and it is an absolute blast to fly.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Agree with jonkyte above. When riding motorcycles, a friend once said "ride your own ride". That has stuck with me. Do your own thing (within regs) , fly it at your own speed and forget the rest of the noise.

This bird has so many settings, I'm almost task-saturated at times. So after having the Spark since December, I still routinely swap in/out of Sport mode. I like the safety factor of P-mode and I'm usually more interested in getting a good shot, rather than racing around the sky like a mad man. But don't get me wrong, I do that too on occasion ;)
Couldnt agree more, I bought the spark to help me learn aerial photography not race or be a professional. I did play in sport to get it back to me so I could turn off beginner and pretty sure I never turned it back off. I almost got too close to a few tree limbs but didnt know how close until I saw the videos this morning but I safely got it away and was able to land safely so beginner off, sport on, practice filming was a big success.

Couldnt agree more, I bought the spark to help me learn aerial photography not race or be a professional. I did play in sport to get it back to me so I could turn off beginner and pretty sure I never turned it back off. I almost got too close to a few tree limbs but didnt know how close until I saw the videos this morning but I safely got it away and was able to land safely so beginner off, sport on, practice filming was a big success.

Trees are my #1 enemy during flight.

You can't rely on camera view to judge distance. Really need good VLOS and proper viewing angle to make sure you clear them. Video lag time will mess you up too.

It's tempting to get neat reveal shots around trees. I've had some close calls and now more cautious too.

There are 5 manual speed settings that I can think of. Any others? Is this the correct order in terms of maximum speed?

Beginner Mode
Tripod Mode
P Mode (standard)
P Mode (with Obstacle Avoidance off)
Sport Mode

Yes thats the bunch. Tripod might be slower than Beginner though... not sure.

Before now my longest flight time had maybe been 30 minutes (2 batteries worth) in the cold so yesterday was the first beautiful day to get out and fly and just get my comfort level up. Was using a PolarPro ND16/FP filter on there and the videos I watched this morning looked absolutely georgeous with the filter in place. I need to do some editing because I keep forgetting to stop the camera so there is a lot of ground action that I want to remove.

Never even seen any DNR around in the state park except once as we were leaving but if they did then I would have shut it down. There was nothing coming up saying No Fly Zone in the state park and the software me launch no problem so had nice clear area so away I went.

I keep forgetting, from State to State its different down there. Up here in Canada, its all of our National Parks, and then in our provinces (think states) its mostly the same, no fly.

I keep forgetting, from State to State its different down there. Up here in Canada, its all of our National Parks, and then in our provinces (think states) its mostly the same, no fly.
Now National Parks are for sure No Fly here in the US which will slow my flying down when I take it on vacation in July. Where I was flying yesterday was a state park but just looked it up on google and looks like state parks run by DNR are off limits as well so wont be flying there again.

Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav