Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Phone/Tablet Indicates Charging when Connected to RC via USB OTG?

Dodge DeBoulet

Join
Dec 27, 2018
Loc
Maine
I have OTG cables for both USB-C and Micro USB. I use the former with my Note 8 and the latter with a Vizio XR6P (actually XR6P10) tablet that has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth only. The tablet was supplied as a sort of remote for a line of Vizio TVs sold in 2016-2017, but it doesn't offer any functionality that I can't get out of my smartphone and went mostly unused. That is, until I found out how perfectly it fit the grips for the Spark RC.

Not sure whether this is normal or not, but regardless of whether I'm using the tablet or my Note 8, the battery indicator on the mobile device is showing that it's "charging" when connected to the Spark RC and the RC is turned on.

Is this normal? I can sort of understand why it would be, but that understanding assumes a pretty hefty battery in the remote if it's expected to support the additional power drain of the mobile device's display, GPS, and processing power. Part of me thinks that the remote should only be supplying power to its internal circuitry, while the attached mobile device would draw from its own internal battery.

Apologies if this has been covered in other threads; I did perform a search first and found nothing relevant.

While my previous post was sitting in the moderation queue, I did some additional research and found that this was a common complaint from Mavic owners. It doesn't appear to be a huge issue for me, though; my phone and controller lost very little charge during today's flights. That was with my Note 8; I have yet to try it with my generic Vizio tablet and the M-M micro USB OTG cable I have for that. I'll report back once I've had a chance to test it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme