Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Prairie Village, Kansas, passes drone ordinance — $500 or jail time for violators

H

Haye Kesteloo

To-prevent-window-peeping-Prairie-Village-advances-ordinance-that-restricts-drones.jpg

About two weeks ago, we first reported on Prairie Village, Kansas, and the new legislation to restrict the use of drones that they were working on. Now the municipality has actually passed the ordinance, and violators can be fined up to $500 or even face jail time.

more…

The post Prairie Village, Kansas, passes drone ordinance — $500 or jail time for violators appeared first on DroneDJ.

Continue reading...

According to KMBC, "The measure bans the use of drones to spy on neighbors. It also makes it illegal to fly a drone over property you don't own or near someone on public property."

It doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.

I agree that these don't sound unreasonable. However, the municipality does not have the authority to make those regulations. Only the FAA has the authority to regulate airspace. If they did, then I'm sure that one of the towns around me that have airplanes flying over on approach to a nearby major airport might pass something preventing overflights of our town (because of jet noise). But they cannot do that either...

The municipality does have the authority to regulate the ground, so they could (for example) ban the launch or landing of drones on land that they have authority over.

Reactions: MarkBarnes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe