Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Pre-flight prep time:Spark v MA2 etc

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
I only own a a Spark and love it but have been sorely tempted by dji’s more recent introductions (MA2 etc). Faster, longer flight times, more tech, better pics/vid etc etc but I have been struck by many contributions here regarding the “longer” pre-flight prep required for the more sophisticated models V Spark. What more is there to do to get these guys into the air? Surely only the usual hook-ups required. Think the Mavics even have built in OTGs so that’s one step less for a start. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I only have the good ol' M1P to compare, and really there is nothing much between them (setup compared to the Spark).
Folding out the arms on these other models really isn't too much of a time problem, maybe 15 seconds ?

In actual fact, due to me using MAS Stealth props on the Spark, it actually takes longer to set up, because they have to be fitted pre flight as they are one piece (non folding and won't fit into any of the usual storage cases).
I leave my props on the M1P, those are MAS Stealth too, but fold like the originals.

I feel the pick of them now, bang for buck and capability, is either the MA2 or MA2S, the latter if you want better photos mainly with the better camera.
Really though, for the price the MA2 is going for, it is a massive step up from the Spark camera / gimbal, so can't go wrong really.

Good luck with the choice and decision to expand, hopefully you will be like me and fly the Spark still.
I'd fly that and the M1P about 50/50 still, Spark is more fun I feel.
Spark more so when going on travels by plane interstate, the Spark kit fits much easier in cabin.

I only have the good ol' M1P to compare, and really there is nothing much between them (setup compared to the Spark).
Folding out the arms on these other models really isn't too much of a time problem, maybe 15 seconds ?

In actual fact, due to me using MAS Stealth props on the Spark, it actually takes longer to set up, because they have to be fitted pre flight as they are one piece (non folding and won't fit into any of the usual storage cases).
I leave my props on the M1P, those are MAS Stealth too, but fold like the originals.

I feel the pick of them now, bang for buck and capability, is either the MA2 or MA2S, the latter if you want better photos mainly with the better camera.
Really though, for the price the MA2 is going for, it is a massive step up from the Spark camera / gimbal, so can't go wrong really.

Good luck with the choice and decision to expand, hopefully you will be like me and fly the Spark still.
I'd fly that and the M1P about 50/50 still, Spark is more fun I feel.
Spark more so when going on travels by plane interstate, the Spark kit fits much easier in cabin.
Thanks for this. I have done a huge amount of research on the Mavic Airs and am sold. Heartening to know that apart from the unfolding process there is not a lot of difference at set up. The portability issue re travel is not a massive problem as we tend to travel pretty light and there always space in the cases. I would not dispose of the Spark even if I acquired another drone.

Reactions: RotorWash
I only own a a Spark and love it but have been sorely tempted by dji’s more recent introductions (MA2 etc). Faster, longer flight times, more tech, better pics/vid etc etc but I have been struck by many contributions here regarding the “longer” pre-flight prep required for the more sophisticated models V Spark. What more is there to do to get these guys into the air? Surely only the usual hook-ups required. Think the Mavics even have built in OTGs so that’s one step less for a start. Would love to hear your thoughts.
again like the spark south oz poster I only have a M1P to compare with my multiple sparks.
The fact that I have more than one spark can mean the linking between spark controller and device can sometimes be frustrating and mean single pressing the power button, waiting for that single beep and then getting linked, all takes time. If I only use one spark, one controller and the same device this becomes quicker and easier with everything finding everything else easily.
Now the M1P... I simply switch everything on and as soon as number of satellites are found/ gps is adequate I can be up and away!
I love the Occusync and the M1P controller. It is a big step forward from my trusty spark.
It always connects and is very quick to connect. I think I could get the M1P up and away faster than my Spark...

again like the spark south oz poster I only have a M1P to compare with my multiple sparks.
The fact that I have more than one spark can mean the linking between spark controller and device can sometimes be frustrating and mean single pressing the power button, waiting for that single beep and then getting linked, all takes time. If I only use one spark, one controller and the same device this becomes quicker and easier with everything finding everything else easily.
Now the M1P... I simply switch everything on and as soon as number of satellites are found/ gps is adequate I can be up and away!
I love the Occusync and the M1P controller. It is a big step forward from my trusty spark.
It always connects and is very quick to connect. I think I could get the M1P up and away faster than my Spark...
That good news. Occusync sounds amazing.

Reactions: Spark 317
I've had my Spark for 3 years and Air 2S for 5months. I reckon the Air 2S is quicker to get into the air as the app/controller/aircraft connections are consistently faster. And once in the air Occusync is rock solid and I am far more confident. Of course the 30 min flight time makes such a difference. I did fly my Spark last week for the first time since getting the Air 2S, as I was closer to a built-up area (I have A2 CofC) and it did the job but I missed the 4k video..

PS Just added this pic, down the river from your Downs shots. I was teaching scything on a nature reserve and wanted to capture the setting.

View attachment Part pano-HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Hamlet. Thanks for the feedback. Thought this might be the case and further confirms my wishes to get a MA2/S-one or the other. Do you have the standard RC or the new Smart Controller? The latter looks a very nice piece of kit. Yes you were just down the road from the Downs shot and yesterday I got down to the water at Sea Mills so got some nice shots which I am playing around with at the mo. Have to say the pix, although absolutely OK, are not as clear as I am sure would be if I had your MA2S. Got myself all ready for the A2 C of C but waiting for a 4/5 day window to crack it. In the meantime just make sure I abide by all the Rules!! Just got the US Trust qualification so one down one to go!

Hi Twickers. I just have the standard RC. My only problem with using my iphone XS with it is bright sunlight. I'm a bit of a pixel peeper and the Air 2S is far superior. Stills captured from 4k video are great - if you use a fast shutter speed. (I don't use ND filters like may people who want the cinematic softness from a slower shutter speed). You should be fine with the A2CofC - I got 100%, no problem! FYI I use my A2 CofC with my Spark and Article 16 with my Air 2S.

Hi Twickers. I just have the standard RC. My only problem with using my iphone XS with it is bright sunlight. I'm a bit of a pixel peeper and the Air 2S is far superior. Stills captured from 4k video are great - if you use a fast shutter speed. (I don't use ND filters like may people who want the cinematic softness from a slower shutter speed). You should be fine with the A2CofC - I got 100%, no problem! FYI I use my A2 CofC with my Spark and Article 16 with my Air 2S.
Ugh. I should know what Article 16 is…..? Do I remember you commenting on my Cadbury Camp sortie? Or was it the Weston SM beach film? Will crack the C of C soon and heartening to know you got 100%.

I think it is hard to beat the Spark in terms of Pre-flight prep time even with the new Minis. If I want to get in the air fast, I don't use an OTG cable and I hand launch with a double tap on the battery. No other DJI drone except maybe the original Air has this capability. That being said, I do have MAS props that do not fold up that I often use in Spring, Summer and early fall but not in the winter as installing props in sub-zero temps tends to freeze my fingers. I also frequently use an OTG cable if I am not in a hurry or it is not freezing cold outside.

I too am tempted by all the new DJI tech and will likely be purchasing a new drone soon. Although it may take a slightly longer time to unfold a Mavic style drone, I don't think it will be a major impact on pre-flight setup.

For me, I am heavily into photography and the Air 2s or the Mavic 2 Pro have been on my radar for a long time BUT the rules here in Canada have really limited where I can fly these drones, so lately I have been looking at getting a Mini style drone like the SE.

Chris

I think it is hard to beat the Spark in terms of Pre-flight prep time even with the new Minis. If I want to get in the air fast, I don't use an OTG cable and I hand launch with a double tap on the battery. No other DJI drone except maybe the original Air has this capability. That being said, I do have MAS props that do not fold up that I often use in Spring, Summer and early fall but not in the winter as installing props in sub-zero temps tends to freeze my fingers. I also frequently use an OTG cable if I am not in a hurry or it is not freezing cold outside.

I too am tempted by all the new DJI tech and will likely be purchasing a new drone soon. Although it may take a slightly longer time to unfold a Mavic style drone, I don't think it will be a major impact on pre-flight setup.

For me, I am heavily into photography and the Air 2s or the Mavic 2 Pro have been on my radar for a long time BUT the rules here in Canada have really limited where I can fly these drones, so lately I have been looking at getting a Mini style drone like the SE.

Chris
Thanks for this well considered response. Everyone has been very helpful as I knew they would be. I am frankly not up to your photographic standards (wish I was) but the extra fight time and general photographic/videography capabilities of say the MA2 and S are very tempting. I use the OTG for all flights and a range extender and they have served me well-neither is a hassle to fit/attach. Looking at you Regs in Canada they are pretty much the same here but we don’t have the room you guys have. You could fit many many UKs into the vast open expanses of Canada. Living in a City as we do, I have to hunt around to find an open space that doesn’t have a heliport, an airport, high risers and people! Anyway many thanks and good luck with decisions re kit. I’m sorely tempted.

Thanks for this well considered response. Everyone has been very helpful as I knew they would be. I am frankly not up to your photographic standards (wish I was) but the extra fight time and general photographic/videography capabilities of say the MA2 and S are very tempting. I use the OTG for all flights and a range extender and they have served me well-neither is a hassle to fit/attach. Looking at you Regs in Canada they are pretty much the same here but we don’t have the room you guys have. You could fit many many UKs into the vast open expanses of Canada. Living in a City as we do, I have to hunt around to find an open space that doesn’t have a heliport, an airport, high risers and people! Anyway many thanks and good luck with decisions re kit. I’m sorely tempted.
This reply is a bit off topic.
You are right, Canada does have vast open expanses but like everywhere else it all depends where you live. The rules will affect you differently depending on the location you live in. For example someone living in Toronto area (Canada’s most populous region) is going to be more affected than someone living in a sparsely populated area or a coastal region. That in turn probably has some bearing on the drone you might purchase. It does for me as live just over an hours drive north of Toronto and am finding it much harder to find places to fly and stay within the rules these days, that is why I am considering a Mini style drone even though I love my Spark.

Chris

Reactions: RotorWash
This reply is a bit off topic.
You are right, Canada does have vast open expanses but like everywhere else it all depends where you live. The rules will affect you differently depending on the location you live in. For example someone living in Toronto area (Canada’s most populous region) is going to be more affected than someone living in a sparsely populated area or a coastal region. That in turn probably has some bearing on the drone you might purchase. It does for me as live just over an hours drive north of Toronto and am finding it much harder to find places to fly and stay within the rules these days, that is why I am considering a Mini style drone even though I love my Spark.

Chris
Agree. Good luck with your decisions.

I only own a a Spark and love it but have been sorely tempted by dji’s more recent introductions (MA2 etc).

Pull the trigger Twickers 👍

I purchased the MA2 last year and love it.

My Spark is currently out of commission but hope to be airworthy when I purchase a gimbal assembly due to a crash a while back.

I had the Spark all set to fly at a moments notice with its one piece construction along with my mini4 already attached to the remote that allowed me to fly as soon as the HP has been established.

Unzip the bag, power on the mini4, remote and the Spark took no time at all to do.

I was spoiled with this setup and now I have "some assembly required " before a flight with the MA2, but it's worth it. 🙂

I retired the mini4 and fly with a Tripltek Pro tablet because of the brightness of the screen and it's size.

I thought about the Smart Controller but decided the tablet would suit me better.

The Smart Controller will bind with other compatible DJI drones but not the Spark.

Have fun shopping. :)

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Thanks for this encouraging response. Really helpful. Will I be able to edit my MA2 4K footage in iMovie? Amazon have just come up with the best price yet over here with Care Refresh so a bit of fate involved here! Would value your thoughts on the iMovie question.

I'm a PC guy and only had the mini 4 to fly the Spark so I'm not sure about the capabilities of the iMovie.

I've only used 1080p with the MA2 in fear of the 4k stuff blowing up my old computer. :rolleyes:

I did see a review of the mini 5 when it was released and it has the power to edit multiple tracks of 4k footage with no problems.

Thanks for this encouraging response. Really helpful. Will I be able to edit my MA2 4K footage in iMovie? Amazon have just come up with the best price yet over here with Care Refresh so a bit of fate involved here! Would value your thoughts on the iMovie question.
Yes, as long as you have a computer that can handle it.

Here’s the info from Apple

Hope this helps.

Chris

I'm a PC guy and only had the mini 4 to fly the Spark so I'm not sure about the capabilities of the iMovie.

I've only used 1080p with the MA2 in fear of the 4k stuff blowing up my old computer. :rolleyes:

I did see a review of the mini 5 when it was released and it has the power to edit multiple tracks of 4k footage with no problems.

Thanks Spark317. Just the job and very helpful thanks. I searched in Apple Support and yes I can deffo edit and share in 4K and up to 60fps too. I recognise the voice of the guy who made the vid you sent. He is excellent-Canadian? As I said up top I have an old 27” Mac desktop and it churns away OK with iMovie so reckon I should be good. Like you I often fly Spark with my iPad 6 so I can see what I’m shooting and all the telemetry etc. But, have been using my iPhone 6s recently and get on well with it. Will let you know if I jump for the MA2 (won’t bother with the S). Hope your Spark gets back up in the air soon.

the “longer” pre-flight prep required for the more sophisticated models V Spark. What more is there to do to get these guys into the air?

Unzip the bag, power on the mini4, remote and the Spark took no time at all to do.

I was spoiled with this setup and now I have "some assembly required " before a flight with the MA2, but it's worth it. 🙂

Just an update....it took me about four minutes to launch. from the case when I took a flight this morning with the MA2.

Unfold the MA2, attach the Tripltek to the remote, removed the camera gimbal guard, power up and check preflight conditions.

Adding items such as prop guards, strobes, lens filters or having an out of the blue "update" from DJI while setting up may affect your launch time.

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers