Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Precision Fly Safety updates

I B Spectre

Join
Aug 16, 2019
Does Go 4 notify you if you need to do updates to the basic and precision fly safety databases? The app shows two precision databases, one for the aircraft and another for the app. DJI could do a better job of explaining these things as well as how to do the updates.

Update: After posting, I continued to search and found a site that indicated DJI does prompt for update of the databases if/when needed. They even had a pretty good tutorial for how to do the updates. I'll just sit here quietly now ?

Last edited:
Good to know that you have learnt about the flysafe database updates and probably went through your first round of updates but after sometime, you will get bored updating. Probably DJI is so worked up in keeping the flysafe databases "precise" that we get an update notification almost every week. The notification usually appears when your mobile device is connected to the internet and the app checks with the DJI servers if there is any "update". I am very sure most pilots simply ignore the notification and move on.

You're probably right, but I have four military airfields close by, a seaplane "base" (one guy has a floatplane there), two hospitals with helipads and several schools, all of which I've got to consider wherever I go. I don't depend on DJI geofencing alone to ensure I'm in compliance, I crosscheck Airmap, Skyvector and the FAA's UAS Visualize It resources as well. I don't want to get a nastygram from the Favorite Aviation Agency.

I personally make it a point to stay updated too as best as I can. But I think the reason we get so many update notifications is that the database is universal and has no geographical categorization. What I mean to say is that there may be an update somewhere in the USA which has no implication on me flying in Japan, but I am still notified to update the database. DJI could have created some categorization based on our current location and saved us from the hassle.

Reactions: Haggi
Understood. I haven't gotten an update notification yet, but I don't think I will as long as I've got the OTG setup with WiFi disconnected and in Airplane mode. I'm hoping by disconnecting OTG, disabling Airplane mode and re-enabling WiFi I can periodically check Go 4 and it will tell me if an update is needed. Do I have to have the Spark on and connected to check?

does this have anything to do with aircraft locked cannot take off
According to a post I read elsewhere, that was one user's problem. The guy said he fought it for 2 days and finally resorted to posting at DJI. He said Go 4 finally gave him a prompt and it downloaded/installed the needed Precision Flight Safety update and everything worked. He had not been leaving his Go 4 app accessible to the internet and it couldn't connect to notify of the update, much less download it. Hope this helps. The beauty of the internet is that whatever problem you're having has probably been encountered by somebody, somewhere and they may already have a solution posted. Good luck.

Understood. I haven't gotten an update notification yet, but I don't think I will as long as I've got the OTG setup with WiFi disconnected and in Airplane mode. I'm hoping by disconnecting OTG, disabling Airplane mode and re-enabling WiFi I can periodically check Go 4 and it will tell me if an update is needed. Do I have to have the Spark on and connected to check?
This is what I do at least once every week (and get a flysafe database notification almost each time).
Turn on WiFi on my mobile device (connect to home WiFi network for internet access), turn on RC, turn on AC. Once the LED on the RC turns green, I connect the OTG and open Go4. The app then checks with the DJI servers if there is any update available. If there is one, I let it to download and install before heading out to fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers