Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Questions using the OTG cable

shorttimer

Join
May 26, 2017
I have a question. I read the entire Spark manual but it does not mention using the OTG cable to directly connect the RC to the tablet. I have an ipad mini 4 cellular. It works fine, can connect and have flown when the ipad is connected to the RC via WiFi. But as soon as I use and OTG cable to connect the ipad to the RC it shows the Spark as being disconnected and of course I get no video from the Spark. It does have the green light on the controller but DJI GO 4 shows the Spark as being disconnected. I have tried airplane mode as well as just WiFi turned off. Bluetooth has always been off. I have even tried a different Apple cable to the ipad. Being i know absolutely nothing about Apple I'm guessing it is possibly a setting. As soon as I connect the ipad to the RC via WiFi I see the Spark fine and have flown with it that way. Just can't seem to get the direct cable method figured out.

Thanks

Reactions: morgan coe
Which OTG are you using? One of the OTG cables I bought off Amazon didn't work. The Ugreen one did however.

I bought the Ugreen package of 2, there was an Amazon link to it someplace on this site. It is USB 2.0. I think I might have a uUSB to the Apple connect in my Mavic box although I know it is too short but just might try it and see if it makes difference.

I sometimes have to disconnect/connect my OTG cable a few times to get it to connect on my Apple devices. I'm using the DJI OTG cable. I was also able to use these (which I don't recommend because they are of flimsy).

Thanks Mike and Jim. I just tried the uUSB to Apple cable from my Mavic and it works fine. Was able to get into the view and see the live view as well as fly the simulator. It is too short to have the ipad in the RC so I am just gonna buy one that is uUSB on one end and apple on the other, I think they call it lightning cable. Any recommendations on that cable. Thanks again.

IMG_0197.jpg I bought my 90 degree 8" lightning cable when I still had my Mavic Pro off of eBay for $19.95 a year ago. I have a two pack that arrives Weds from Amazon that I will test this coming week.

Okay so it ended up being a bad OTG cable I got from Amazon. I got a 2-pack of the Ugreen ones and one is bad - the other works fine. But I plan to order a uUSB to lightning cable as soon as I find one. Thanks for the help all.

Anyone try this one yet? I'm planning on trying it next. Rantow Nylon Braided Video Date Cables for DJI Mavic Pro Drone Remote Controller (20.7cm Lightning to Micro-USB) Amazon.com : Rantow Nylon Braided Video Date Cables for DJI Mavic Pro Drone Remote Controller (20.7cm Lightning to Micro-USB) : Sports & Outdoors
I haven't tried this cable, but I did find the Mavic cable that this cable replaces does work. Since this cable is being advertised as a Mavic replacement, I'm assuming it will also work.

This cable is only 7.8 inches long though, so it's going to be a close fit depending on what type of phone you have. It'll be too short for a tablet. And you'll most likely have to remove the case from your phone (if it's in a case).

One nice thing with the cables I bought that didn't work is that the seller gave refund through Amazon w/o requiring a return. With that in mind I'm going to give the Rantow above a chance. It would be nice to have a single cable w/o a connection. It's coming from China so it may be 3 weeks until I get it.

Sorry, uUSB is micro USB. In electronics the u is micro so many people just call a micro USB cable a uUSB cable. I saw the rantow cable shipped from China. It is like 8 inches long. I plan to use just my OTG cable until I find one that people are using and works well. One guy was selling on on eBay but wanted like $35 for them but he sold quite a few.

Okay, thought that might be the case on uUSB. Hoping Rantow cable will work as a braided cable should be more flexible too.

I sometimes have to disconnect/connect my OTG cable a few times to get it to connect on my Apple devices. I'm using the DJI OTG cable. I was also able to use these (which I don't recommend because they are of flimsy).
I occasionally get a "this device may not be compatible" warning, but it works OK.

Reactions: eddie258
I occasionally get a "this device may not be compatible" warning
Yep -- that's common on Apple devices. When my cable doesn't work, DJI GO is completely disconnected. Removing and reinserting the cable fixes the problem.

Reactions: eddie258
Screenshot_20170628-171349.png Screenshot_20170628-171356.png hey all I just connected with an otg for the first time on android and noticed this page in the settings. Can anyone provide information or insight on the image transmission code rate, channel 13,14,etc, or channel mode? I'm not sure if I should be playing with these settings or if there is any advantage to doing so. Thanks

View attachment 306 View attachment 307 hey all I just connected with an otg for the first time on android and noticed this page in the settings. Can anyone provide information or insight on the image transmission code rate, channel 13,14,etc, or channel mode? I'm not sure if I should be playing with these settings or if there is any advantage to doing so. Thanks

Just nominate a channel that isnt red.

So forgive me with the silly question but if the remote and phone connect fine through wifi then why use a cable? Are there any benefits. I know with my P1, P2, P3, and now Mavic, I've always connected with a cable. With the spark it just connects through wifi without the cable and it works good but wondering if I should be connecting with cable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex