Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Rapid descent issue

JJR71

Join
Jun 4, 2018
i was doing a ‘rocket mode’ on QuickShot and my spark flew up out of eyesight and then flew backdown at high speed crashing into the ground. Luckily it’s ok, but I’m worried it’ll happen again. Does anyone know how or why this might have happened and what to do if it does? P.s -
I had a similar problem with RTH where it ascended very quickly but I was able to bring it back to earth safely.

Reactions: Quickdror
I had a similar issue both in RTH and manual. In RTH, I intervened before touch down but the manual occurrence just never slowed after letting go of the stick. I wasn’t close to the deck at that point, it just kept dropping at speed and despite trying full throttle, landed hard, luckily on grass.

Are the bottom sensors clean of finger prints?

If the camera or the sensors are smuged, they may not be able to "see" the ground and fool the the Spark and think it's higher than it is, causing a rapid descent?

A camera lens cleaning pen is perfect for the Spark.

Reactions: JJR71
i was doing a ‘rocket mode’ on QuickShot and my spark flew up out of eyesight and then flew backdown at high speed crashing into the ground. Luckily it’s ok, but I’m worried it’ll happen again. Does anyone know how or why this might have happened and what to do if it does? P.s -
I had a similar problem with RTH where it ascended very quickly but I was able to bring it back to earth safely.
Hit the pause button on the RC.

The Spark should just stop its current action and hover (if no GPS, you might end in atti mode drifting with the wind). Then you recover manually (or recover your GPS).

Reactions: Haggi and JJR71
I had a similar issue both in RTH and manual. In RTH, I intervened before touch down but the manual occurrence just never slowed after letting go of the stick. I wasn’t close to the deck at that point, it just kept dropping at speed and despite trying full throttle, landed hard, luckily on grass.

I had a similar issue where my Spark ignored commands, just the opposite problem - rapid/uncontrollable climb instead of dive. Pulled the logs, consulted all the guru's, eventually landed in support. Sent it back, they replaced the whole camera/gimbal assembly (apparently the main camera plays a role in altitude assessment in conjunction with downward looking VPS sensors/camera and they thought it was the problem). Have put in MANY more flight hours since then with no problems.....only caveat is I haven't yet been back to a vicious interference environment like the Punta Cana resort where the problem occurred, so that part is still a question mark.

I'd suggest to both JJR71 and Feastie to pull those logs and post them here and on the DJI forum for review by members and admins, and/or start a ticket with DJI support. For the logs, follow the instructions in here (my original problem post): Spark does the DR - scary issues...
....mirrored on this forum here: Uncommanded/uncontrollable climb

Good luck!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers