Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Repeater antenna possible?

Yocracra

Join
Aug 28, 2019
So I love flying my Spark around, but I want to explore a bit farther. Im too afraid to fly my drone over water, trees, or houses in fear of losing signal and the drone not RTHing correctly. I’m especially nervous after flying my drone over some water a couple times and almost completely losing signal. I lost signal around 50 out.

I bought a cheap piece of shiny plastic that apparently focuses the signal, thus making the range farther assuming your pointing the antenna at the drone.

I was wondering if I could put some sort of Repeater antenna in a backpack or something (for portability), and use the larger antenna to relay information farther then previously possible. I’ve heard of some legal issues on this, so could I instead attach a better antenna to my remote? I don’t think the spark antennae screw out like normal remotes, so how would I go about doing this? What antenna and equipment would I need for it to work and be compatible? Will it screw with the software? Is this even possible? Are there any drawbacks? (Besides portability)

Thx!

-Attached below is where I got my inspiration from (Ghost Recon Wildlands Disruptor Backpack)-

Attachments

• CBE3D4D6-06FA-4653-B10E-19FC3129FDDB.jpeg
    CBE3D4D6-06FA-4653-B10E-19FC3129FDDB.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
First of all, welcome to the forum.
Since this is your first post in the forum, I assume you are a relatively new Spark owner. So let me just reiterate that if you use the right keywords in the search option of this forum, you will get the answer to most of your queries. You also didn't mention whether your are in CE mode or FCC mode, which usually is the first thing which limits the range of the Spark. There are mainly 2 ways which people have been using to increase the range of the Spark.

1. Switch from CE mode to FCC mode
2. Use parabolic dishes/range extenders

Reactions: RotorWash
Welcome to the forum. When you're new to the Spark the fear of losing signal is pretty rampant at first. Takes some time to build trust. There's a very high probability that RTH will work if the connection is lost so long as you make sure your homepoint was correctly recorded before flying away from the takeoff point. If you got disconnected at that short a distance using the remote controller you may have run into some strong interference but that will not stop the drone from returning if need be.

Reactions: sparkphoto
There are mainly 2 ways which people have been using to increase the range of the Spark.

1. Switch from CE mode to FCC mode
2. Use parabolic dishes/range extenders

Im already using a parabolic disk (the shiny price of plastic) but I was more wondering about a signal amplifier or something of the sort. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Welcome to the forum. When you're new to the Spark the fear of losing signal is pretty rampant at first. Takes some time to build trust. There's a very high probability that RTH will work if the connection is lost so long as you make sure your homepoint was correctly recorded before flying away from the takeoff point. If you got disconnected at that short a distance using the remote controller you may have run into some strong interference but that will not stop the drone from returning if need be.

Another problem though is that there are some small trees that could be a big problem. But I mainly want more exploration range. There’s a cool stream that’s too overgrown to hike down, but would be perfect for some FPV.

Another problem though is that there are some small trees that could be a big problem. But I mainly want more exploration range. There’s a cool stream that’s too overgrown to hike down, but would be perfect for some FPV.

If you are in to modifying the remote control, this is an option 4Hawks antenna.

Do a search on this Forum and Google for more results.

I remember reading that some offer services to do the work for you.
You send in the remote and they ship it back.

Hey, Welcome!
Under normal conditions the Spark has a sufficient range to go along with it's relatively short Battery operating time. Keep in mind that if you fly a twisty path and the drone has to return to home it's going to climb and return in a very straight line.
Something is way way off if it's losing signal at 50ft. or even 50m. unless you are flying it with the Phone or not connected.

Reactions: Spark 317
Hey, Welcome!
Under normal conditions the Spark has a sufficient range to go along with it's relatively short Battery operating time. Keep in mind that if you fly a twisty path and the drone has to return to home it's going to climb and return in a very straight line.
Something is way way off if it's losing signal at 50ft. or even 50m. unless you are flying it with the Phone or not connected.

What could be wrong? The remote is *definitely* connected to the drone and my phone, as I control the drone with my remote and get live video feed from my phone.

Given the Spark battery life and the VLOS regulations, I can't see why purpose in extending the range. You're asking for more trouble, particularly if applying any mod to the drone or controller (which voids any warranty).

Also look at the wording you use "too afraid", "especially nervous". I think your first job should be to explore the possibilities with your Spark until you are confident in its abilities. To do that, follow the specs and instructions provided and the legal rules and regulations applicable to your location. You are only likely to have trouble if you don't follow one or the other.

Also look at the wording you use "too afraid", "especially nervous". I think your first job should be to explore the possibilities with your Spark until you are confident in its abilities. To do that, follow the specs and instructions provided and the legal rules and regulations applicable to your location. You are only likely to have trouble if you don't follow one or the other.

Well the reason I say I’m too afraid to explore farther is that every time I go about about 1000 feet (I remeasured to the max distance), i lose image transmission completely.

So, if you’re using the RC you don’t need the app image to control the drone. I would advise finding a large wide-open area and practising with your drone to get you comfortable with its parameters.

Personally, I find it very hard to see a Spark much beyond 1000ft. And remember the VLOS requirement.

Ok, so there really needs to be some reading up of rules and regulations on RPAS use, I think. (RPAS = Remotely Piloted Aircraft System, which is what your drone + controller/device is.)

Our number one responsibility is for safe flight, which includes not flying into things and avoiding conflict with other users of the airspace we’re flying in. We cannot do that if we can’t see our aircraft, and the camera view available on our devices only shows us what’s directly in front of us, not what may be above, below, or beside us.

“Buy and fly” hobbyists, flying way beyond where they can have any situational awareness at all (no matter what they say), is what has led to the very restrictive drone regulations that most of us worldwide now have to observe.

This is also what has led to the DJI use of No Fly Zones (or whatever anyone wishes to call them) and the automatic grounding of their drones in some areas people would like to fly. Those who insist on breaking the rules have made it very hard for the rest of us.

Reactions: matt48

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme