Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Retrieving flyways or lost drones

GarethHubert

Join
Jul 23, 2018
What are the best ways to retrieve flyways or lost drones it's not that my drone is lost or something but I have a feeling it might get lost one day cause I really suck at flying, I've been having a hard time so far but I'm not giving up on this.

Reactions: Blind Rookie
You could always try trackers. There a lot of trackers out there you could just search it up on google and btw your ios app has flight logs and some other stuff that can help you check where it was last flying.

You could always try trackers. There a lot of trackers out there you could just search it up on google and btw your ios app has flight logs and some other stuff that can help you check where it was last flying.
Well do you have any suggestions on what I should try to buy?

Ok thanks a lot and when I was searching Marco Polo drone tracker was really famous could you tell me why you preferred trackimo?
I first stumbled upon trackimo because I was looking up trackers for luggages and when I got my first drone I just decided to use the trackimo drone tracker cause the luggage tracker was working well for me.

I have a loc8ter it’s not dependent on there being a gps signal but uses RF instead. Useful in remote areas where gps no coverage.

I have a loc8ter it’s not dependent on there being a gps signal but uses RF instead. Useful in remote areas where gps no coverage.

It's important to know the difference between signal types and choose the best one for your application:

1. According to Loc8tor website the RF signal can only travel 400 feet. This range may be inadequate for use retrieving a drone.

2. The GPS system has complete global coverage that is not affected by "remoteness". You only need 3 satellite signals to locate any position on the planet.

3. There are a few locators that use CELL signals but these depend on having nearby cell towers to be effective.

4. BLUETOOTH trackers are nearly worthless because limited to just 33 feet

Reactions: Kylie
It's important to know the difference between signal types and choose the best one for your application:

1. According to Loc8tor website the RF signal can only travel 400 feet. This range may be inadequate for use retrieving a drone.

2. The GPS system has complete global coverage that is not affected by "remoteness". You only need 3 satellite signals to locate any position on the planet.

3. There are a few locators that use CELL signals but these depend on having nearby cell towers to be effective.

4. BLUETOOTH trackers are nearly worthless because limited to just 33 feet
Exactly one of the reasons why I prefer the trackimo tracker over RF trackers cause trackimo uses GSM and GPS tracking via web or smartphone app where GSM cellular reception exists worldwide.

I meant also to say, I rely on the normal DJI route tracking then I can use RF to be more precise when close.

Keep in mind, the GPS trackers may require a monthly / annual fee whether you fly or not.

Have to figure that into the budget.

I use the Loc8tor myself.
They also have a GPS version.

As mentioned above, use DJI to get close and hope you can find it.

No fee, 400' range with it's own tracker, lightweight, and the batteries last up to 7 months in hibernation and activate when you turn on the tracker.

Better than nothing.

I still may invest in a GPS tracker in the future just in case I do have a fly away, and at least I'll know where it's at.
Whether it will be accessible to retrieve, that's a different story.

[QUOTE="Andre Levite, post: 58754, member: 10850"
4. BLUETOOTH trackers are nearly worthless because limited to just 33 feet[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect regarding the BT tracker.... I have a Tile Sport, which has a range of approximately 200feet. Its been tested to 500feet in clear conditions. And for $25USD, is probably the most affordable. It will make finding your downed drone in a field of long grass or forest undergrowth much easier. Sure, GPS trackers are going to be best at you finding your aircraft independent of the Go4 app... but MarcoPolo costs 2/3s of a spark....

There should be a tracker already built into the Spark in my opinion. Seems that there should be a way to use the GPS that is in the Spark already that could be activated remotely if needed.

There should be a tracker already built into the Spark in my opinion. Seems that there should be a way to use the GPS that is in the Spark already that could be activated remotely if needed.

Problem is the battery life of the aircraft is super short... unless there was a backup battery of some sort that kicked in with just enough juice to power the gps

I was just recently steered to the beep option under “find my drone” in the Go 4 app.

It’s not loud but it’s something!

Reactions: yochanan
I was just recently steered to the beep option under “find my drone” in the Go 4 app.

It’s not loud but it’s something!

Yes, this is an option as long as you are fast and can get to that point where it landed before the battery dies! That is why I got the tile.... it does nothing until you activate it from the app on your phone, it does not intertere with the aircraft, but will do the beeping when you get close... Mine is mounted beneath each battery with velcro... I used hand launch/land or will attach my leg accesories depending on how I am planning to fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers