Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Rob Hutchings

Rob Hutchings

Join
May 22, 2019
Hi Guy's. I've been reading of people who seem to have various problems when updating their firmware. As a newbie, and not being very tech savvy, I'd like to ask you experts this. Is it necessary to update the firmware at all, or can you just stay with what you have now for as long as you like?.

Reactions: Colorado Grounded
My philosophy has been - if it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing. I haven't had any issues with firmware update because I've never done one :)

My philosophy has been - if it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing. I haven't had any issues with firmware update because I've never done one :)

As a computer tech, I believe that firmware and software updates are put out for a reason. You may have something broke and don't know it. I recommend that all firmware and software updates be installed.

My Spark is working fine. I am not updating the firmware. PLus I bought a recent Spark so I imagine there have been a few iterations of the firmware already. Firmware has been know to introduce problems. I have seen firmware rollbacks because of it totally F ed up the operation of a product.

Is it necessary to update the firmware at all, or can you just stay with what you have now for as long as you like?
DJI rarely releases firmware updates that must be installed. So, you'll usually be able to decide whether or not you want to install them.

Like @Kendallfordguy, I also like to install all updates after they've been out in the wild for a bit. Releasing firmware updates takes a lot of work, so there must be a good reason to do so.

So out of curiosity. There should be a list of each firmware update and what the update does. Does anyone know the link?

I'm sure you can....do you have a PC....download the DJI Assistant II and you can DownStep the updates

I usually wait a week after a new firmware update is released.

If there's a problem it will show up quick on this Forum

I've done every update this way and no issues. There are several major updates this year including LAANC and AirSense. I'll wait longer for those major updates

There should be a list of each firmware update and what the update does. Does anyone know the link?
You can find the firmware release notes on the Spark downloads page.

From experience, I can tell you DJI only mentions major changes in the release notes. So, one should never assume the firmware release notes are a complete list of all changes made.

I'm sure you can....do you have a PC....download the DJI Assistant II and you can DownStep the updates
I was actually interested in seeing what each firmware update did before I upgraded the firmware. If they do not provide a history of each firmware update, they are hiding something. IMO

If I recall correctly, there hasn't been a 'firmware update' since the 2nd half of last year. Usually the DJI Go4 app and "flysafe database" are the ones which get the most frequent updates. I always stay on the latest firmware and software and have never had any glitches till date.

If I recall correctly, there hasn't been a 'firmware update' since the 2nd half of last year.
The last firmware update was released on July 19th, 2018.

Reactions: nilanjan118
The last firmware update was released on July 19th, 2018.
Thanks. I didn't remember the exact date but had a rough idea because since owning the Spark from Oct '18, I have only had to update the firmware during the initial set up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe