Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Roof inspection

SoccerRef12

Join
Jul 5, 2019
Loc
Lampasas, Texas
Had some shingles blow off a residential roof in a storm yesterday. Due to trees, etc couldn't tell where the missing shingles were from the ground, so used the Spark to do an aerial inspection of the roof and immediately found the missing shingles next to the dormer.

Aerial inspections are safer, less expensive and quicker than sending someone up to look for the missing shingles. Especially on commercial buildings.1567470393878.jpg

The first practical purpose for my Spark was to inspect my roof. I found a dislodged board on the upslope side of the lower cladding around my chimney that would have been impossible to see without going on the roof, but my Spark showed it clearly in video and stills. With possible hurricane conditions predicted in a few days, I gathered the necessary tools and material prior to cautiously making the trip up for a quick fix. Afterward, I did a complete survey of the roof in case I needed before-&-after comparisons after the storm's passage.

I would think inspection by drone would be a growth industry for roofing and insurance companies.

If you want to do roof inspection by drone commercially, and you are in FAA country, best get your Part 107. "In furtherance of a business" ... That said, its definitely the way forward (and upward!) for these businesses.
You got that right, best not to run afoul of the FAA. It's amazing what is considered "in the furtherance of a business" and money changing hands is not the determining factor. I'm into the hobby/recreational aspect, but I can see how an enterprising person with the right licensing and equipment might pursue it as a business.

I'm in the process of studying for my 107. The actual "residence" was my own house, lol.

Just don't hire yourself. [emoji16]
I wouldn't be foolish enough to hire myself as a professional drone pilot [emoji6], but I'm pretty good as a roofing contractor (not really, but I can replace shingles pretty good, lol).

Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme