Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

RTH button failure?

horton

Join
Jun 29, 2018
Loc
Cebu City, Philippines
I’ve had just 2 occasions to use the RTH button on the Spark controller. The first was at a range of about 800m and height of 20m over the sea. I had lost sight of the unit and it was behaving erratically to heading commands. I therefore hit the RTH button. No voice response or beeps. Then I noticed that the Spark was descending. Cancelled RTH and flew home manually using the inset map for guidance until visual reference was achieved.
Today I thought I would attempt an RTH test under safer conditions. I flew the Spark at a height of 50m to a distance of 105m. Pressing the RTH button (no9 on the handbook picture). I had audible beeps, the Spark started to descend and “Landing” was announced. Again I cancelled the RTH and flew home manually for a manual landing.
I have achieved a correct RTH a further two times, but these times using the RTH icon and slider on the DJI GO 4 screen. Normal return operation and normal indications this time. The physical button however seems to attempt to land the drone where it is.
At T/O, Return Home Point was announced and was valid on all occasions. No warnings or Interference announced during start and take off. Battery at 70+%. DJI GO 4 fully updated and IPhone 6S+ used. Am I missing something here?

I’ve had just 2 occasions to use the RTH button on the Spark controller. The first was at a range of about 800m and height of 20m over the sea. I had lost sight of the unit and it was behaving erratically to heading commands. I therefore hit the RTH button. No voice response or beeps. Then I noticed that the Spark was descending. Cancelled RTH and flew home manually using the inset map for guidance until visual reference was achieved.
Today I thought I would attempt an RTH test under safer conditions. I flew the Spark at a height of 50m to a distance of 105m. Pressing the RTH button (no9 on the handbook picture). I had audible beeps, the Spark started to descend and “Landing” was announced. Again I cancelled the RTH and flew home manually for a manual landing.
I have achieved a correct RTH a further two times, but these times using the RTH icon and slider on the DJI GO 4 screen. Normal return operation and normal indications this time. The physical button however seems to attempt to land the drone where it is.
At T/O, Return Home Point was announced and was valid on all occasions. No warnings or Interference announced during start and take off. Battery at 70+%. DJI GO 4 fully updated and IPhone 6S+ used. Am I missing something here?
Have you got return to home height enabled for a low altitude?

Thanks. Yes I have - 35m.

My only thoughts concern satellite reception. It varies between 11 and 16 in my area. I know low satellite reception can upset RTH.

However, using the RTH icon and swipe provides me with a perfect RTH profile as briefed.

Partly finger trouble on my part I think. When I had the 2 RTH button “failures”, I was flying with only Airplane Mode selected on my IPhone. This time I physically switched OFF my home WiFi. I also removed the OTG cable. Subsequent tests of using the RTH button were successful.

What got me onto the wrong track before, was that the “icon and sweep” RTH facility still worked although the button did not. (One for the boffins I guess!)

So the OTG cable or my (fairly powerful) Home WiFi was the cause of the RTH button failure. Cannot say which yet as I’ve run out of batteries. Hope that this may help others in the future.

OK thanks for this info. I have looked and cannot find those selections that you mentioned. Just the RTH at Current Altitude which I keep deselected. Thanks anyway for your time.

Last edited:
Check the settings for RTH behavior in the DJI Go App. I believe you can select from 3 options: land immediately, hover in place or return to spot of launch.
Hi there, I found your comment in a search and was wondering if you could elaborate on the RTH settings (where in the app etc). Prior to last night my Spark would come home and land no problem, right where it took off. Last night, I hit the RTH button on my controller and I watched it hover at 47 meters and it wasn't budging. I desperately held the attitude stick down and watched in panic as my battery warning started blaring as my Spark decended at
.4 mps. That was in SPORT mode, too! I had visions of it crashing to the ground at 20 or so meters. At 30 sec left of battery it was on the ground safe. Rrrrrr.

Partly finger trouble on my part I think. When I had the 2 RTH button “failures”, I was flying with only Airplane Mode selected on my IPhone. This time I physically switched OFF my home WiFi. I also removed the OTG cable. Subsequent tests of using the RTH button were successful.

What got me onto the wrong track before, was that the “icon and sweep” RTH facility still worked although the button did not. (One for the boffins I guess!)

So the OTG cable or my (fairly powerful) Home WiFi was the cause of the RTH button failure. Cannot say which yet as I’ve run out of batteries. Hope that this may help others in the future.
Strange.
You could have disconnections due to interference, but not landing command instead of rth command.

Strange.
You could have disconnections due to interference, but not landing command instead of rth command.
I've figured out my RTH issue!! My fault. I installed a flashing white LED disk to the bottom of my SPARK so I could find it, if it went down in the woods or something. I thought I had it far enough back from the sensors. Nope. Sparky was picking up the object as an obsticle. Removed it and it flies like a charm!! This Spark is amazing! The video. The stability. The range. Unless you're doing professional work for movies, this is a perfect drone. I have packed it into a small 9×9 case with remote and spare battery for hikes. Amazing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers