Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Second attempt doing waypoint mission using Drone Harmony (scary mid-flight).

Heckmaniac

Join
Sep 15, 2018
Similar mission as last week, but a few minutes in I programmed it down to 7ft above water and into narrow part of the lake. Nearly got taken out by a few overhanging trees limbs (got scary close this time) and all happening in automated flight mode - I could just watch and hope it looked closer than it was. This time edited in free iMovie app so got 1080p quality and less jitter in turns due to editing software. I'm a novice at video editing.

Well done, mate!
I'm also doin DH missions.

You are not totally out of control after mission launch.
  • You can start with very slow speed and then change it mid way using the speedometer tool on the map (left side toolbar when flying).
  • You can use the left joystick on approach to slow down / speed up the speed dynamically.
  • You can pause the drone and then use the right stick to move it back and forth along the programmed path at the speed that is comfortable, if you release the stick the drone will hover in place (when paused).

Fly safe ?

Last edited:
Well done, mate!
I'm also doin DH missions.

You are not totally out of control after mission launch.
  • You can start with very slow speed and then change it mid way using the speedometer tool on the map (left side toolbar when flying).
  • You can use the left joystick on approach to slow down / speed up the speed dynamically.
  • You can pause the drone and then use the right stick to move it back and forth along the programmed path at the speed that is comfortable, if you release the stick the drone will hover in place (when paused).

Fly safe ?
Thanks appreciate the feedback. I am aware of the control over speed and the ability to pause or cancel mid-flight. Issue was where I was standing during the low altitude portion and falling below tree line caused signal to drop between drone and controller. I had programmed to complete the mission if signal lost - so I was at the mercy of whatever was programmed. Next time I think I'll stand close to where the narrow part of lake is. I did have obstacle avoidance on, so hoping it would work if got too close to branches, but in hindsight watching video maybe not.

Similar mission as last week, but a few minutes in I programmed it down to 7ft above water and into narrow part of the lake. Nearly got taken out by a few overhanging trees limbs (got scary close this time) and all happening in automated flight mode - I could just watch and hope it looked closer than it was. This time edited in free iMovie app so got 1080p quality and less jitter in turns due to editing software. I'm a novice at video editing.

With DH do you have to be in line of sight to fly the waypoints?

Well done! I would be freaking out at the 3.48 mark in the video where it looked like you 'kissed' the branch of that tree! Were you using the controller unit?

Well done! I would be freaking out at the 3.48 mark in the video where it looked like you 'kissed' the branch of that tree! Were you using the controller unit?
I was not controlling at all during flight I posted - whole flight was programmed waypoints and I did not override the automated flight by using using any controls during the flight. I tested the narrow section of the lake earlier going 1-2mph and ready to pause to be sure it wouldn't come too close to branches - test flight was not nearly as close to branches as during full flight posted going 10mph. Guessing GPS positioning can varry somewhat by maybe a foot or so flight to flight. Because it flew so low beneath the tree line I lost signal with the controller briefly from where I was standing and wouldn't have known what happened without seeing footage on SD card. Next time I'll position myself by that section of the lake so I can control if needed.

With DH do you have to be in line of sight to fly the waypoints?
No - the waypoints are loaded into the drone so that if you lose signal - you can select to have it complete the mission or RTH. I always choose to complete the mission.

Yep - that was close! Very dramatic...but ain't if fun :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef