Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Shots over Old Tampa Bay today.

You may or may not know, that area is now called Safety Harbor.
Hi TrevorSpark, yes I know where I was standing that I was in Safety Harbor but the water I was flying over is still called Old Tampa Bay that is why I used it in the title of my post. I have lived in this area since 1965 and love all the water, just wish there were more areas I could fly but with Tampa Airport and Clearwater St. Pete airports and the small air parks there isn't much air space to fly in which is a shame..

Yep, totally understand, wasn't trying to correct anything just saying what little I knew. Also totally understand about the Airports. I used to go into that bay area with my boat. I'd love to see mid-summer when the bio luminescent algae is in blume at night I am wondering if it would be able to be captured on a Spark. .

Reactions: Vader01
Yep, totally understand, wasn't trying to correct anything just saying what little I knew. Also totally understand about the Airports. I used to go into that bay area with my boat. I'd love to see mid-summer when the bio luminescent algae is in blume at night I am wondering if it would be able to be captured on a Spark. .
Hey Trevor, I didn't think you were correcting me and I'm not sure about the bio luminescent algae but it would be cool to capture that on the Spark. Not sure if I will try to do that and if I do I'll need to get a strobe light for my spark since any night flying the FAA requires one that can be seen for 3 miles.

Wish I was there. Is it worth getting ATC permission to fly in airport zones or is it a bit of a faff!?
Well I don't know if it is but the rules have changed. According to the map I wasn't in an airport zone but I was close.

Not sure exactly where you are but I plumbed in Old Tampa Bay into AirMap and this was the result. As you say a few corridors to explore but pretty busy aviation area.50CB924F-383F-4DC0-9C4C-B212F93649A4.png

Great shots, thanks for sharing. Those who fly over water are braver than me!
You're welcome. I love flying over the water but when I do I get nervous and yesterday while taking those pictures I nearly lost my Spark. I posted the flight in here under the Pilot Check In threads, the battery drained pretty fast not sure if it was cause of the heat. before flying I did stop and eat an early dinner so the Spark was in my car for over a hour at about 4pm yesterday and I did see the battery temp had gotten pretty high while flying but it wanted to do an auto land on the water and it was still over 1000 ft from me and I got lucky the battery had gone to 0% and it was still over 400 feet from me and flying against a breeze of about 8 mph before I was able to land it safely next to me.

Wow, glad you got it back safe. Batteries are best kept at a decent room temp either when its cold like up here in the winter, or scorching hot down your way. We get pretty warm here in the summer, into the 90's and direct sun in a car can amplify that immensely.

Wow, glad you got it back safe. Batteries are best kept at a decent room temp either when its cold like up here in the winter, or scorching hot down your way. We get pretty warm here in the summer, into the 90's and direct sun in a car can amplify that immensely.
Thank you, it was nerve racking for sure especially when it kept wanting to auto land and at one point it was a foot above the water. I wasn't thinking when I left it in the car and I should have brought it into the restaurant with me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme