Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Should I get a Spark or Mavic Mini, in Australia

nn666

Join
Nov 4, 2019
I was thinking of getting the new MM but with the CE restrictions I am thinking perhaps I am better off with a Spark. With the Spark I am able to activate FCC mode instead of CE, whereas the MM doesn't seem like it will be able to. I'm not interested in flying illegally rather just want a nice strong connection that the FCC connection offers. What would you do? The Spark's are relatively cheap now. I am worried with the MM being restricted too much with the CE, only being able to fly 500m instead of the advertised 4km. I don't want to get it and regret not getting a Spark and modifying it.

The Spark was restricted by CE too. It was only a few great minds who devised a way to force FCC mode and shared the trick in forums like this one for everyone to use. So I am sure someone will find a workaround for the Mavic Mini too or may be the same trick we use for the Spark will apply for the MM as well. It is just that you may have to wait a little for that. For someone who has never flown a drone before, 500m should be good enough. And remember, you are always supposed to keep the drone in your line of sight (legally speaking). So considering the size of the MM, I don't think anyone can see it beyond 500m anyway.
Welcome to the forum.

The Spark was restricted by CE too. It was only a few great minds who devised a way to force FCC mode and shared the trick in forums like this one for everyone to use. So I am sure someone will find a workaround for the Mavic Mini too or may be the same trick we use for the Spark will apply for the MM as well. It is just that you may have to wait a little for that. For someone who has never flown a drone before, 500m should be good enough. And remember, you are always supposed to keep the drone in your line of sight (legally speaking). So considering the size of the MM, I don't think anyone can see it beyond 500m anyway.
Welcome to the forum.
The restrictions are in the firmware. Would it be possible this could be modded? Also read it's in the controller also. If there is a possibility to have it used in FCC mode I would be interested.

The restrictions are in the firmware. Would it be possible this could be modded? Also read it's in the controller also. If there is a possibility to have it used in FCC mode I would be interested.

I am sorry I was not quite aware of this. The Spark had just one model all over the world. The transmission strength of the controller was being regulated depending on the GPS location of the drone in accordance with standards in different parts of the world like FCC, CE, SRRC. Forced FCC mode on the Spark could be achieved by simply tricking the drone into believing that you are flying in the USA instead of say, UK.

Now coming to the Mavic mini, looks like DJI has introduced it in 2 different models.

Model MR1SS5 - USA, China
5.8 GHz: 4000 m (FCC); 2500 m (SRRC)

Model MR1SD25 - Europe, Japan
2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)

So even though you won't be getting as much range as in the FCC region, I think 2km range at 2.4 GHz is as good (if not better) as the Spark on forced FCC mode.

I am sorry I was not quite aware of this. The Spark had just one model all over the world. The transmission strength of the controller was being regulated depending on the GPS location of the drone in accordance with standards in different parts of the world like FCC, CE, SRRC. Forced FCC mode on the Spark could be achieved by simply tricking the drone into believing that you are flying in the USA instead of say, UK.

Now coming to the Mavic mini, looks like DJI has introduced it in 2 different models.

Model MR1SS5 - USA, China
5.8 GHz: 4000 m (FCC); 2500 m (SRRC)

Model MR1SD25 - Europe, Japan
2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)

So even though you won't be getting as much range as in the FCC region, I think 2km range at 2.4 GHz is as good (if not better) as the Spark on forced FCC mode.
Yes, it's not as simple. This is what concerns me.

It says 2km there but early videos with the CE model show just over 500m and the control comes up with a warning and loss of video. This was in a low interference environment also. See this link here:

I was talking with the DJI people at the Adobe Max and they convinced me that the spark is better. It has the forward crash detection and the gesture control, which the MM doesn’t have. Not getting into all the technical stuff, the Spark next to the MM looks a little more stable.

Reactions: Mandruka
I was talking with the DJI people at the Adobe Max and they convinced me that the spark is better. It has the forward crash detection and the gesture control, which the MM doesn’t have. Not getting into all the technical stuff, the Spark next to the MM looks a little more stable.
I'm not too fussed on crash detection or gestures, for where I fly. The MM has better specs with the camera, battery life, foldable etc. But this CE mode that can't be changed really bothers me. I think i'll wait and see how they perform here in Australia before I make a decision. For $100 more I can get a Mavic Pro refurb instead of the MM Flymore. Maybe I should just get something bigger instead without limitations.

Reactions: I B Spectre
For a first quad, I'd consider the Mavic Mini. Look at the flight time, better than a Spark or Pro. More portable.

I'm not too fussed on crash detection or gestures, for where I fly. The MM has better specs with the camera, battery life, foldable etc. But this CE mode that can't be changed really bothers me. I think i'll wait and see how they perform here in Australia before I make a decision. For $100 more I can get a Mavic Pro refurb instead of the MM Flymore. Maybe I should just get something bigger instead without limitations.

You summarized the pros and cons very well @nn666 . I have been flying the Spark for more than a year now and I can agree with the fact that obstacle avoidance and gesture controls cannot be the deal breaker. Because OA doesn't work in speeds over 10kmph and gesture controls are highly unreliable and good only for gimmick. The first and foremost thing to look for in a drone is the connection. If that is not reliable, everything else is meaningless.

Reactions: fithdy
Just an update. Australia is getting the fcc version. Confirmed with DJI earlier today. Happy days :)

Attachments

• 99EFE01B-B836-4DB9-BB02-5B92D0B70313.jpeg
    99EFE01B-B836-4DB9-BB02-5B92D0B70313.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: nilanjan118
Also download the “Can I fly there” app by CASA

OpenSky is the new CASA approved app for drone flight in Australia.
CIFT is soon obsolete as far as free app for drone flying, info on there may already not be getting updated.

Opensky has the free app for apple and android, also the website is very easy to use for pre trip planning . . .

My plan is to buy an FCC drone from the USA and bring it home to a CE region. So my problem was would it change to CE mode once it realised it was no longer in USA, so after a lengthy online conversation with dji support trying to tease information out of him regarding FCC and ce models only to get the desk jokey reading me the information that Is already in the specs regarding FCC , ce 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz , telling me it will only go 500m in a CE location , which is useless , could kick a ball further than that. So after banging my head off the wall again I decided to email the dji developers. This is the response I got regards bringing an FCC Mavic mini to a CE region .

Attachments

• IMG_5981.PNG
    IMG_5981.PNG
    103.5 KB · Views: 22
So it turns out the Mavic mini FCC will stil operate in FCC mode in a CE location , u just have to mind the local regs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit