Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Should I return / swop or is this normal?

• Thread starter Mike_in_Letcombe
  • Start date
M

Mike_in_Letcombe

I quite like the Spark, had it about 3 weeks but very few flights, due to weather. However, when I do get to fly it, I'm having 'issues'.

1: when using wi-fi, I am getting around 40 metres range maximum before it disconnects. Have ensured Bluetooth is off and no other interference, but can't get anywhere near the 100 metre 'max'.

2: the wi-fi issue also affects the 'quickshots' - if I do a 'selfie', setting distance to 25 metres, the Spark flies backwards whilst filming (as it should), but then keeps going past the 25 metre mark and will then lose connection, hover for a minute then instigate a RTH. Even when it's back and landing, I'm still not connecting. Eventually I can reconnect and then takeover for landing. Doing a helix shot and, again, it can disconnect and 'lose' me within seconds. I'm continuously concerned that, once disconnected, the Spark will decide to go for a fly over the rainbow..

3: gesture mode is very hit and miss - most work but have only got the video gesture to work once. Not such an issue as I prefer to have a wi-fi connection at least for safety / control, am really not confident on letting this fly totally untethered!

When I use the RC, the Spark is fine, although I can lose video feed even using a cable connection. But this is intermittent. I also occasionally get a 'gimbal overload' message for no apparent reason.

Nearly all my flights have been as 'testing' - I'm very confident with my Mavic but wanted this to take on holiday overseas. Just trying to get a handle on it before I go in September.

I am in the position that I can send this back to the supplier for examination and possible replacement; should I do this or will I be back to square one - that these issues are standard with the Spark at the moment? Are others having these issues as well? Or do most find it's wi-fi gets closer to 100 metres, or that the Quickshots work as expected?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have now tried some more testing...

First of, please note this is working fine with the remote control - took it out last night for a decent flight, went out 375 metres and kept video connection (99% of the time) and got some nice video and pictures. Tried tripod mode and worked perfectly, basically no major issues.

Then reset to wi-fi mode (held power button for the 'two beeps'), connected to iPhone SE and took off. Fine up to about 20 -30 metres then lost connection. Went into settings, switched off wi-fi, then back on, found the signal and reconnected. Tried going up 25 metres and lost connection again. The Spark returned to home point automatically and commenced landing, then I 'reconnected' again and took over.

I wonder if this is down to my iPhone SE (will try next time with my iPad Mini 4 to see if the same issues), or the fact that I changed the SSID away from standard name to a personal one (Spark_MDP) - may try resetting.

I have also found that, when doing 'Selfies', it flies backwards but not upwards. Reading another post, someone said this was a known issue that DJI will 'fix' with an update.

My hesitance in returning this for a swop is that I purchased a skin and would have to remove this - so £15 down the drain! But the skin can be replaced, it's more important to get a working Spark. My question is 'how far are others getting, using wi-fi connection?'

Try the iPad, I've never looked at specs but wouldn't be surprised if wifi sensitivity vary from device to device. I know it does with Bluetooth, for instance Bluetooth range is much short with an iPad mini than my older iPad 4

From what I'm reading most to all of your issues are things that come with the spark and will either be fixed by a newer display device, or firmware updates in the future.

All expect the "selfie" one flying back and not up?
If you're talking about in Gesture Control where you wave and it flies back and up to get a higher broader view then that's weird and might be an aircraft issue...
However if you're talking about the Quickshot Dronie going back and not up, that's the usual for now till they fix it...
I've just done it manually and if you stick it a little bit above and away from you, then move back and up and keep it generally at the same angle it takes no looking at the remote once you've got yourself centered at the beginning.

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
From what I'm reading most to all of your issues are things that come with the spark and will either be fixed by a newer display device, or firmware updates in the future.

All expect the "selfie" one flying back and not up?
If you're talking about in Gesture Control where you wave and it flies back and up to get a higher broader view then that's weird and might be an aircraft issue...
However if you're talking about the Quickshot Dronie going back and not up, that's the usual for now till they fix it...
I've just done it manually and if you stick it a little bit above and away from you, then move back and up and keep it generally at the same angle it takes no looking at the remote once you've got yourself centered at the beginning.
Thank you. I've decided to stick with it - everything works, it's just the range on wi-fi is not as advertised. However, with the RC, this is a great little drone.

Reactions: Bubbles!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe