Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Should I sell my Spark to get the Mavic Mini?

What are you/did you do with your Spark when the Mavic Mini was released?

• Total voters

GadgetInspector

Join
Jul 19, 2018
I wanted to answer this question for myself, so thought I'd make a video and share since some of you may have the same question. I compare hover stability, RTH accuracy, video and photo quality, and then we do a spec comparison. The Spark is no longer in production and becoming harder to find, but a lot of people already have them and are considering getting the Mavic Mini instead. Is it really an upgrade?

I purchased the Spark when it was released and I try to fly at least once a week.

I have not had the opportunity to fly a Mavic, or any other drone.

I watched a review video of the MM and the reviewer stated it flew like a Mavic.

Is there a difference?

The MM does have an attractive price and abilities that may scratch the Mavic itch that could be a hard one to scratch.

The Mavic Mini may be on my radar, but I'll fly the Spark until it doesn't want to fly anymore.

I have the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mini is not nearly as stable (to be expected of course). But....it does fly like a DJI drone so no complaints there. I wouldn't mind having a Mini because I'm a drone junkie, but since I did this comparison I'm even more certain that I'll just hang on to my Spark until something that knocks my socks off comes along.

I challenge the basic premise of this question as, until there are some significant software and firmware updates for the Mini, these two drones aren’t even in the same category. The Spark is a very capable, consumer level action, selfie, travel drone. It is small and sturdy, but most significantly for this conversation, it has Active Track and you don’t need an RC to control it. Heck, you don’t even need a smartphone. Pull it out, power on, wait a couple of seconds and with the double tap of the power button she’s airborne and taking Active Track videos or stills. If you want some “Quick Shots” connect to your phone and you’re off and running. The Mini . . . not so much.

The Mini (also 2.7k) on the other hand is very capable entry level cinematic drone for people who want to cut their teeth on movie making. It has a superior gimbal for image stability, a longer range and longer flight times. It will not, however, follow you or a friend on a skateboard, or an a hike or along the beach, for instance. Setting up for flight takes a little more doing for the Mini, so you can pretty much forget grabbing that selfie with some friends that have less of a tolerance for waiting around for you to break out your Mini, unfold the legs, break out the RC, plug in the phone, power the controller, bind the RC to the drone and get the Mini airborne and positioned for the shot, and then you hide the RC from being visible in the shot while still hitting the camera trigger.

For US residents, the fact that you don’t need to register it really won’t be of any real significance for at least another 3+ years from now when RID kicks in. You can be certain that by then, you will have replaced your Mini with something else at least once.

Can the Mini replace the Spark at some point in time: Yes. For now let’s see if we can get a firmware update that allows self unlocking and then see if DJI wants to make this the travel drone that can replace the Spark.

In should add that I have both of these drones and love them both. I got some great video with my Mini yesterday, would wouldn’t dream of bringing it on vacation with me with its current capabilities.

Last edited:
Hello why sell it when you can have both. Got my mavic mini 3 days ago so now own the mavic platinum , spark and the mini

Hello why sell it when you can have both. Got my mavic mini 3 days ago so now own the mavic platinum , spark and the mini
I'm with you, although since I only ever fly my Tello indoors and I have my Mavic Air and Anafi for 4k cinematic stuff, I have toyed with the idea of selling my Tello and Spark (the Mini is quieter and not as imposing for indoor flight as my other drones). As I said in my post, if the Mini gets the Active Track and the ability to control the AC with the phone only, I would consider selling the Spark too and putting that money for my next drone down the road, whatever that might be.

I have indoor Sparky and out door Sparky. (don't ask)..and an Air. The Air is a better drone but I swear I like the video right off the card on Sparky more.
I thought I should try to get a photo of the three in formation, so yesterday without much forethought I launched outdoor Sparky with a discharged battery, then the Air and I was trying to get Indoor Sparky into the sky but I think the Iphone connected with the already flying outdoor Sparky...are you following this?. While I was fooling around with the Iphone, outdoor Sparky's battery got too low and Sparky broke rank and started to climb..not sure why the climb..but before I could figure out which controller was which..Sparky contacted my patio roof and fell to the concrete below.
The point of all this is ....Zero damage to outdoor Sparky..none... I don't think this would be the case with a Mini and i don't think that I'll be buying one

Reactions: I B Spectre
I purchased the Spark when it was released and I try to fly at least once a week.

I have not had the opportunity to fly a Mavic, or any other drone.

I watched a review video of the MM and the reviewer stated it flew like a Mavic.

Is there a difference?

The MM does have an attractive price and abilities that may scratch the Mavic itch that could be a hard one to scratch.

The Mavic Mini may be on my radar, but I'll fly the Spark until it doesn't want to fly anymore.
The MM is an upgrade on portability, camera, and battery life. That’s all I can see. I don’t fly a small drone 4 km away, so I don’t really consider it as an upgrade. I haven’t even flown my Spark a mile away. If I have to fly some distance, I fly my Mavic Pro.

Reactions: I B Spectre
I don't have any plans to replace my Spark or even buy a Mavic Mini. The gimbal and flight time of the MM is appealing but they took away too many of the Spark's features to suit my taste or needs. Now if I were ever able to afford a Mavic Pro, I would buy one but I would still keep my Spark as well.

You can never have to many drones I just got started fly them last March. I started with a tello wasn't good enough. So I bought a Spark and really enjoy flying it I bought a used Phantom 4 for $475.00 but don't use it to much. I just bought a Mavic pro 2 zoom it's a great drone I really like its a very smooth flying drone. But my Sparky is the one I fly the most and take it every were I go easy to pack around. It takes great video and photos love that little bird. I am thinking about getting a Mavic Mini just not sure when it is the next on my list.

Reactions: Spark 317
the only thing that stopping me from buying another drone like mini its because the Wind gust here in our places are terrible especially in the sea or in the mountain? thats why we are typhoon prone. what I like about my spark because it has stood up the test of strong winds and as well rains. It never dissapoint me even if its only 1080p/30 and 2 axis gimbal that flys only 10-12mins tops it is still a good drone! next to my Mavic 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme