Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Small airport denies permission to fly.

Justalilguy

Join
Nov 16, 2018
I just got my spark this week. I am 4.6 miles from a tiny airport. I called earlier in the week to notify that I was going to fly and he said it was his understanding he can deny permission and he doesn't let anyone fly drones. As I said I'm just barely inside the 5 mile radius. I called and left him a message asking him to reconsider but haven't heard back. Is there anything I can do?

Welcome to the forum. I can understand your frustration, to be honest you will probably want to fly over different places to get new & interesting pics. Why not scan the area nearby that is outside the airport zone. A nice empty field is the best place to practice in. Then you can look for interesting places to photograph.
PS. You will find DJI have programmed your spark to not fly in NFZ (no fly zones), even if you get permission the spark may refuse to fly near your home.

I'd steer clear if denied permission to fly. Even if you think it's unfair.

But you didn't specify who you were speaking to...

If it was an air traffic controller or other tower personnel you could send a registered letter to the airport's manager asking clarification of this policy. The name and address of airport managers is available by searching the FAA website.

Flying around airports will be automatically monitored within a few years. The Department of Homeland Security has teamed up with the FAA to install drone detection systems at some test airports. Once the tech is perfected it will become standard operating procedure:
FAA Evaluates Drone Detection Systems at DFW

Reactions: BigAl07
I'd steer clear if denied permission to fly. Even if you think it's unfair.

But you didn't specify who you were speaking to...

If it was an air traffic controller or other tower personnel you could send a registered letter to the airport's manager asking clarification of this policy. The name and address of airport managers is available by searching the FAA website.

Flying around airports will be automatically monitored within a few years. The Department of Homeland Security has teamed up with the FAA to install drone detection systems at some test airports. Once the tech is perfected it will become standard operating procedure:
FAA Evaluates Drone Detection Systems at DFW
Thanks for the reply! I spoke to the owner/manager of the airport. It's a small airport with two unpaved runways and no ATC. I think it's mostly single engine and gliders that use it. AirNav: 22D - Bandel Airport. I left him a message yesterday and still haven't heard back, so I'm guessing I won't be able to fly at home.

You need to check the charts (free available online here) for that airport (or tell me the name of the airport and I'll look it up for you.) If it's shaded magenta, the controlled airspace does not start until 700 ft; you're in Class G airspace for an uncontrolled airport and you can legally fly. If it's a dashed magenta line, it starts at the surface and he can legally deny you. Watch the video I posted above. As one of the comments to the video noted, "Best explanation for a Part 107 sUAS operator too".

Addendum:
I looked it up after I saw you posted the name of the airport. You possibly cannot legally fly - not because of Bandel airport - but because of Pittsburg to the north. You are possibly in Class C airspace depending on where you are. Bandel cannot deny you; useless to talk to them. You would need to call the controlling authority for the Class C airspace (Pittsburg).

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

Have to leave now to take my FAA test. Post where you are on the map. in relation to Bandel airport and I'll respond later.

Last edited:
You need to check the charts (free available online here) for that airport (or tell me the name of the airport and I'll look it up for you.) If it's shaded magenta, the controlled airspace does not start until 700 ft; you're in Class G airspace for an uncontrolled airport and you can legally fly. If it's a dashed magenta line, it starts at the surface and he can legally deny you. Watch the video I posted above. As one of the comments to the video noted, "Best explanation for a Part 107 sUAS operator too".
Thanks! I took a look at the link but I don't see it shaded magenta. Here is the link to the airport in skyvector if you wouldn't mind taking a look. 22D - Bandel Airport | SkyVector

Sounds like you are trying to negotiate with a moron who runs a privately owned podunk grass runway airport. I hope you win out on this. Besides, how is he going to know if you are flying your Spark in your back yard?

Sounds like you are trying to negotiate with a moron who runs a privately owned podunk grass runway airport. I hope you win out on this. Besides, how is he going to know if you are flying your Spark in your back yard?
That's pretty much exactly what it is. I know he won't notice, my only concern is a cranky neighbor would call the cops if they don't like a drone flying around and the cop would ask if I had permission.

Unless you live in town, I doubt that anyone will notice your drone. These things are amazingly quiet after they reach 100 feet or more. And I doubt that even a cop would know anything else about the actual rules either. Is your app keeping you from flying?

Right now, as a hobbyist, you have to comply with FARs 101.41(e) with regards to notifying an airport of a hobby flight. Unless you're going to fly in controlled airspace, the person at the airport you spoke to technically can't deny your flight but you cannot create a hazard (ref Far 101.43)

With that said, these regulations will soon change with the implementation of the FAA Re-authorization bill act. This law (signed last month) will nullify section 336 that was implemented in 2016 and shaped the current regulations.

When the part of the FAA Re-authorization bill act that effect hobby drone operations is codified (it will be known as section 349) the following will likely be included within the Federal Aviation Regulations:
  1. Must be flown within a Community Based Organization’s (CBO) safety guidelines
  2. Must be flown within visual line of sight (VLOS)
  3. Must stay out of the way of manned aircraft
  4. Must be flying in Class G airspace under 400 feet, or have authorization
  5. Must be registered and marked.
  6. The operator must pass an Aeronautical Knowledge Test.
This is the actual bill. Pages 112 and 113 addresses the new rules.

https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/hr302/BILLS-115hr302enr.pdf

Last edited:
I'm back (after passing the FAA 107 test with a 93%.) I looked at the chart again. Without knowing precisely where you are, even if you are north inside the blue line (Class B airspace), the lower level is 4000 MSL - well above where you would be flying. If you have a VHF radio and wish to monitor air traffic at Bandel, the CTAF frequency is 122.9.

Again - without knowing precisely where you are located, it appears you do not need authorization and can fly.

Reactions: mano
Addendum:
I looked it up after I saw you posted the name of the airport. You possibly cannot legally fly - not because of Bandel airport - but because of Pittsburg to the north. You are possibly in Class C airspace depending on where you are. Bandel cannot deny you; useless to talk to them. You would need to call the controlling authority for the Class C airspace (Pittsburg).
Actually he can fly - Pittsburgh class B is outside of Bandel and the first part of the "wedding cake" starts at 4,000 feet to the north of Bandel

Reactions: rcdancer
I'm roughly 4.5 miles to the east near Bentleyville
Looks like you're in or close to the class E transition. You are well out of controlled airspace and just limited to altitude (700' is the base of class E but then again no one should be flying over 400') So again, the person at the airport cannot tell you not to fly your drone. When the new law kicks in and is codified the whole calling requirement will be eliminated when flying in class G airspace.

Just a note to add to this thread...On Thanksgiving Day, I went to launch my Spark at a friend’s private RC track and the DJI app placed a notification on the screen of my iPhone that basically said I was near an airstrip and did I agree to fly safely? It would not let me respond “yes.” (The response window was shaded.)
I was able to launch anyway but the notification blocked 70% of the screen so it was difficult to see what I was filming (which was RC cars racing.)
I figured since I was only flying at 30 feet, I didn’t pose much of a hazard to the Oceano, CA “airport” which was 3.5 miles away...kind of annoying that I couldn’t get to respond and “agree” or make the notification go away.
This didn’t happen a month prior, by the way so it was probably programmed into a recent firmware update.

Just a note to add to this thread...On Thanksgiving Day, I went to launch my Spark at a friend’s private RC track and the DJI app placed a notification on the screen of my iPhone that basically said I was near an airstrip and did I agree to fly safely? It would not let me respond “yes.” (The response window was shaded.)
I was able to launch anyway but the notification blocked 70% of the screen so it was difficult to see what I was filming (which was RC cars racing.)
I figured since I was only flying at 30 feet, I didn’t pose much of a hazard to the Oceano, CA “airport” which was 3.5 miles away...kind of annoying that I couldn’t get to respond and “agree” or make the notification go away.
This didn’t happen a month prior, by the way so it was probably programmed into a recent firmware update.

I remember people having problems with that prompt.

I think there's a blue button on the black background to the right or bottom of the YES button that is difficult to make out, especially in daylight, that has to be pressed first?

It's been awhile since I have seen it pop up but look around the screen for that button.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe