Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Smooth Panning?

Macinfo

Join
Aug 2, 2019
I have been trying to get some smooth pans as I hover over an area of interest. However, no matter how slowly i seem to try and rotate the Spark with the stick, at some point during the pan, I get some jerkiness or instability.. Now I have not tried Tripod mode yet, perhaps that is the solution to the issue, but would like to know if there is a way to get smooth pan without using Tripod mode, or if that is the only way? Thanks for an feedback

That's where the third axis of a gimbal comes into play, which the Spark doesn't have.

Instead, it crops the sides of the frames digitally and is why it appears choppy.

I found if doing a combination of flying and turning at the same time to achieve a cinematic look, you can accomplish a nice pan shot verses hovering and panning side to side alone.

It takes practice.
Darn, another reason to fly.:)

Thanks for that feedback, I had not considered it a limitation of the gimbal. Though I guess I am not surprised. For the just fun flying I've been doing so far, the Spark is great, though its hard to justify the extra $4-500 for a Mavic Model.

Do you think Tripod mode would help a little, or is it just the way it is with the 2-Axis gimbal?

Perhaps the Mavic Mini will be the answer if indeed ships one of these days.. Since it appears that it will have that 3rd axis..

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to figure out flying and turning cinematically. Got any examples in a short video you could post?

Do you think Tripod mode would help a little, or is it just the way it is with the 2-Axis gimbal?

You can always try.

I think you can adjust the stick sensitivity in the joy stick settings too.

Tripod mode is a little better, however, you still need to master the art of holding the stick perfectly still at just a fraction of an angle. You can also upscale your video in post to 60fps with the right software (with interpolation) and that smooths it out a little more. As Spark 317 said, you are best to combine with some other directional motion, going backwards or forward, or up... descending may not be as smooth. Try that in Tripod mode.. you will get better results. This is one of the main reasons I am upgrading to a Mavic2 as soon as I can!

Tripod mode is a little better, however, you still need to master the art of holding the stick perfectly still at just a fraction of an angle. You can also upscale your video in post to 60fps with the right software (with interpolation) and that smooths it out a little more. As Spark 317 said, you are best to combine with some other directional motion, going backwards or forward, or up... descending may not be as smooth. Try that in Tripod mode.. you will get better results. This is one of the main reasons I am upgrading to a Mavic2 as soon as I can!
Thanks, which program will upscale to 60fps.

ill try the other suggestions too

You can also try the DJI Assistant 2 crack with V 1.1.2
This will allow you to slow the YAW rate from 90°/s to 30°/s
Then in Tripod Mode, it is even slower:

If you do not feel comfortable with the download, pm me for the file.

Thanks for that feedback, I had not considered it a limitation of the gimbal. Though I guess I am not surprised. For the just fun flying I've been doing so far, the Spark is great, though its hard to justify the extra $4-500 for a Mavic Model.

Perhaps the Mavic Mini will be the answer if indeed ships one of these days.. Since it appears that it will have that 3rd axis..

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to figure out flying and turning cinematically. Got any examples in a short video you could post?
The purpose of tripod mode is for smoother panning and slower spin.

Mavic mini is supposed to have a 3 axis gimbal when it is released.

You can also try the DJI Assistant 2 crack with V 1.1.2
This will allow you to slow the YAW rate from 90°/s to 30°/s
Then in Tripod Mode, it is even slower:

If you do not feel comfortable with the download, pm me for the file.
Interesting Idea pmshop, however I have a Mac, and the video is altering a Windows version of the assistant. If there is a way to alter the Mac version to work similarly, might give that a try, worst case is I'd have to delete and reinstall if the app died.

I think I'll try Tripod mode and see what my results are, and then if needed, try tweaking the controller settings a touch and see if I can get some stable pan sweeps or better than I have been getting.

Right now, on the controller when I move to pan, it feels like I am barely nudging the stick and get somewhat reasonable results, but its hard to be consistent with such a sensitive movement.

Eventually, down the road if it I can justify it, and a the rumored Mavic Mini shows up and is reasonably priced and gets some good reviews, perhaps that will be direction to eventually go, if it eventually winds up on dealer shelves.

thanks for all the feedback..

it feels like I am barely nudging the stick and get somewhat reasonable results, but its hard to be consistent with such a sensitive movement.

Just curious, are you a "pincher" or a "thumber"?

It's a debatable topic on how to fly the drone with precision whether by resting the thumbs on top of the joysticks, or pinching them and moving the sticks.

It feels comfortable to use the thumbs, but I have been trying the pinch method and seems awkward at first, but with practice it's starting to come around.

Trying to pinch the the sticks and work the gimbal at the same time is trickier.

I have a neck lanyard to hold the remote which helps steady the controls.

Reactions: Andro
Just curious, are you a "pincher" or a "thumber"?

It's a debatable topic on how to fly the drone with precision whether by resting the thumbs on top of the joysticks, or pinching them and moving the sticks.

It feels comfortable to use the thumbs, but I have been trying the pinch method and seems awkward at first, but with practice it's starting to come around.

Trying to pinch the the sticks and work the gimbal at the same time is trickier.

I have a neck lanyard to hold the remote which helps steady the controls.

Its thumbs I believe , I am not grasping the controls.. but I don't think I am resting them on the top of the sticks either, at least not for some moves.. Not really pay that close attention to how I am doing that I guess. If I make a gimbal move, I probably hover for a moment find the position I want, then resume the flight or pan to cover the new angle...

I think when you have to explain what you did with the controls to capture a certain sequence, thats easier said than done.. You know that you had to make certain moves to do it, but explaining exactly how you manipulated the sticks to do it, does not seem easy.

That's where the third axis of a gimbal comes into play, which the Spark doesn't have.

Instead, it crops the sides of the frames digitally and is why it appears choppy.

I found if doing a combination of flying and turning at the same time to achieve a cinematic look, you can accomplish a nice pan shot verses hovering and panning side to side alone.

It takes practice.
Darn, another reason to fly.:)
Agree .... definite lack of that needed 3rd axis.

That was useful, a short example, just need to see how to replicate it. Thanks

Here's another example for you, a video which I recorded yesterday to explain the same thing in another thread. This video is a combination of 3 shots. The first shot has been filmed using Litchi home lock, the remaining two are just manual flying.

Here's another example for you, a video which I recorded yesterday to explain the same thing in another thread. This video is a combination of 3 shots. The first shot has been filmed using Litchi home lock, the remaining two are just manual flying.

Excellent, really need to practice those moves, very smooth... thanks for the video....

You can get the mac version of DJI Assistant pmShop refers to, its out there.
I do have that tool, does that mod or crack as he called it still apply to the Mac version of the assistant?

I've gotten a little better at some moves, though I am still hacking out the occasional nudge of the stick from some of my videos. I may post a short one soon, get some feedback.. thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme