Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Snow and Spark

charliepowell95

Join
Dec 31, 2017
We are expecting snow in the next couple of days here which has led me to wonder about flying in the snow. I would never consider a rain flight (obviously) but snow has me wondering. Have any of you flown while it is snowing? Would it be a flat NO to do so, or is it possible? Any advice will be appreciated!

Happy and Safe flying!

Charlie

I've flown a "quickie" flight in the snow with no wind just to capture a few photos.

How much snow? We’re due some tonight, and if it’s decent tomorrow I might have a fly around. Just be careful where I land.

You might want to turn off the obstacle avoidance so the Spark doesn't think it's flying into a wall?

I read a post once that someone flew during a bug swarm and had to fly backwards due to the bugs being an obstacle.

The only concern I have is sucking snow flakes into the cooling vents and then it melting into water. I am not saying it is a problem, but just something to consider.

How much snow? We’re due some tonight, and if it’s decent tomorrow I might have a fly around. Just be careful where I land.
I bought a landing pad just for this situation, they are fairly cheep, made with spring steel & pop open to a 4X larger pad. Very nice for dirt, dust, & snow.

I‘ve flown my Spark in heavy rain for 8 min (it was worth the risk). No problem, I didn‘t try longer as I was over water and sooner or later, rain drops may make it into the rotor motors. But maybe not. Anyway, the Spark is pretty good at bad weather. I‘d fly it at light snowing w/o worries, and at heavy snowing for a couple minutes.

There is a youtube Spark test in heavy rain where the Spark survived while the controlling smart phone didn‘t ...

I made 12 minutes in heavy snowfall. ( 4cm per hour) No issues. Only keep in mind that battery (it was -5C) is losing power quicker than usual. Last 30% seems to go in manner 1% per second. The range little shorter, les sat to use since there is thicker cloud cover.

Here is movie i made:
youtu.be/OCP4xspTpS4

Nice.
I‘ve flewn mine in a mountain snow storm once and actually have all the white dots (strikes) from the falling snow in the footage. Can‘t see its snowing in yours though, strange.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme