Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark 2 or Mavic Air 2 next

Rafiky

Join
Mar 3, 2019
Loc
Miami, Fl
I recently received a survey about what’s next coming from DJI. Two of the choices got my attention Spark 2 or Mavic Air 2. I’ll be more interested in a second version of the Spark. I cannot see the value of the Mavic Air versus upgrading to the Mavic 2. I’m ready for it not sure yet between the Pro and the Zoom.

Reactions: Surfnut
Spark 2 definitely for me... I d be interested what other people on here would like to see on it. We cant just go mad and ask for everything, or it would fall into the Mavic price range and not fill the niche it currently does . What would people say it must have, as opposed to like to see. 4 k for the future for me is a must. Likewise a 3 way Gimball. Collision avoidance on all sides, better range etc would all be nice, but personally the one other change I d love to see is it moving from wi fi to the system the hi end Phantoms and Mavics use, to stop flyways... what would you like to see?

Last edited:
Spark 2, hum...4k is probably the easiest addition (don't need it personally). More range isn't needed with the limited battery life.

I’m just interested in seeing what they do. It will say a lot on what can be expected for other models future. How better can the Mavic get? Wow!

I’m satisfied with the Spark so far for being my first drone. Personally can’t ask for much improvement. Range is good when I use the Litchi app. I just flew a 9,900ft round trip with waypoints without a sweat (will share later). The obstacle avoidance all angles will be good. Camera improvements... that’ll be something!!!

I’m ready for the Mavic 2. The question is... Pro or Zoom. I cannot make a decision.

I’m just interested in seeing what they do. It will say a lot on what can be expected for other models future. How better can the Mavic get? Wow!

I’m satisfied with the Spark so far for being my first drone. Personally can’t ask for much improvement. Range is good when I use the Litchi app. I just flew a 9,900ft round trip with waypoints without a sweat (will share later). The obstacle avoidance all angles will be good. Camera improvements... that’ll be something!!!

I’m ready for the Mavic 2. The question is... Pro or Zoom. I cannot make a decision.
Maybe I'm missing something but why would you want zoom capability on a drone? Can't you just fly closer? Sorry if I'm being dense.?

Maybe I'm missing something but why would you want zoom capability on a drone? Can't you just fly closer? Sorry if I'm being dense.[emoji851]
Zoom is useful under some circumstances (ie when watching wildlife, when you're trying to maintain VLOS, during technical inspection etc).

But the main difference between Zoom and Pro, is the camera in general and not only zoom capability.

From what I gather from YouTube, if you are a professional photographer, then go with the Pro.

I would prefer the Zoom myself.
The drone would be less intrusive to those around you by flying higher and still get good shots.

From what I gather from YouTube, if you are a professional photographer, then go with the Pro.

I would prefer the Zoom myself.
The drone would be less intrusive to those around you by flying higher and still get good shots.
I bought a zoom.
In future, I can just change the gimbal, and make it a "pro".

I’d like to see a 3-axis gimbal and 2.7k. Everything else can stay otherwise price will climb near Mavic Air. I love my Spark. It’s such a versatile drone.

Chris

That would be useful indeed as a zoom. Can't see what else they can improve on based on the current battery technology.

I'd guess that Spark 2 would not be a radical redesign, but some changes and improvements. For me, 3 axis gimbal and improved camera would be the features I most want. I'd like the ability to set the shutter speed and let the camera work round that. I'd also like to be able to buy just the drone and keep the existing remote, batteries and charger.

Obstacle avoidance - well, I'm getting good at avoiding trees now. Improved WiFi, I find the parabolic reflectors work well enough. Improved preset modes would be nice but there are other solutions out there already. Litchi waypoints are streets ahead of DJI's offering. It would be nice to have improved flight time but can't see that happening if one of the big features people seem to want is to shave the weight down to under 250g.

Oh, and a tasteful purple version would be nice :)

Maybe I'm missing something but why would you want zoom capability on a drone? Can't you just fly closer? Sorry if I'm being dense.?
Example: you can get as close as the FAA allows to the Statue of Liberty with a Spark and still it’ll look faraway. Have you seen a footage taken with an Inspire or Mavic?

Reactions: McCloudSpark
Spark 2 definitely for me... I d be interested what other people on here would like to see on it. We cant just go mad and ask for everything, or it would fall into the Mavic price range and not fill the niche it currently does . What would people say it must have, as opposed to like to see. 4 k for the future for me is a must. Likewise a 3 way Gimball. Collision avoidance on all sides, better range etc would all be nice, but personally the one other change I d love to see is it moving from wi fi to the system the hi end Phantoms and Mavics use, to stop flyways... what would you like to see?

My perfect drone would be my original Mavic Pro shrunk down to the dimensions of my Spark. Best of both worlds and wouldn't need to own them both. And that's exactly why DJI won't do that -- not even with a price bump. It would be great tho

DJI will add a few features to make the new models more enticing but they make a nice profit when you upgrade to next level drone (or instead own two). They have a drone for every price point from $400 to $5000. Their marketing department knows how to play the game.

Reactions: Surfnut
It's an outstanding entry level drone "as is". Probably the best bang for the buck out there. Improving it will only increase its price. Leave it alone. If one wants improvements, pay the increased price and move up to a Mavic.

Reactions: Rafiky
My votes would be better range and replace wi-FI. Range is my only issue as an entry level picture drone. 4K would be good.

Range is good when I use the Litchi app. I just flew a 9,900ft round trip with waypoints without a sweat (will share later)

Does the Spark have to remain connected to the remote when flying a waypoint mission or can it complete a mission and return on it's own using GPS? ie; what would happen if the remote died or lost signal to the drone?

Already a great entry level drone. Would like to see waypoint missions for the Spark using the Go app, rear object avoidance, improved battery life, Mavic type range, and a camera with zoom capability. Better ground clearance would definitely be an improvement. Think adding all that might be prohibitive to keeping it affordable for a first time flyer. Other than that ...love my Spark.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast