Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark alternatives

mimixtz

Join
Feb 3, 2018
OK I know that Spark is far from being flawless product. Even the phantom 4 is not perfect. My colleague from work owns it and I know what I'm talking about. If nothing else, there are problems with some firmware versions and app versions.
Before I bought spark, I was reading a lot of tests, reviews, videos. And at the end decided for Spark.
So, which small poratble drone can we buy for app. 600€/$ that it would have at least as good characteristics (not taking into consideration only the numbers - 4k videos from many cameras may look much worse than Spark's 1080) as Spark with or without controller and having less faults and being more reliable?

And let's leave other DJI products out of this. Here is obviously: more money, more music.

Check out these:

DJI Spark destroys Yuneec Breeze Zerotech Dobby Hover Camera

I would honestly like to know what I'm missing / not know for.

Reactions: AllAllen
I have no experience with comparably priced drones. Truthfully I haven’t read and certainly haven’t experienced any issues with the Spark that aren’t more than annoyances and most have workarounds. Nothing to make me regret buying it or seriously looking for an alternative. That and seeing that DJI seems to do a pretty solid job under warranty, gives me a lot of confidence in the brand.

Maybe I’m still riding the high of being a relatively new Spark owner but the only thing I’m considering beyond the Spark is a Mavic Pro 2 when they come out (I’m hooked!)

You may have better feedback in a more general forum. Reddit has a great multicopter sub that’s very active.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaze
I too have never entertained the thought of an alternative. Pretty much love at first sight for me. The only alternative for me would be a Spark 2 with added features. But let’s face it, drones have really come a long way in a few short years. The only complaint I have with the technology is how little we’ve progressed in battery power. 12-16 min. Flight time? It’s crazy! Just when you start getting into a rhythm, it’s time to “Go Home”. Honestly it is the only thing I wish that could be better. I can master the 2 gimbal issue, and don’t need 4k in reality. It’s just the battery technology that dampens spirits at the end of the day.

as a new owner i bought my spark last dec. but due to busy work schedule till now i have not flown it yet.in fact it is still sitting in its box. i've done a lot of reading on forums though and couldn't believe the topics on the otg issue. as an android user i now realised i've made a mistake on the spark. i'm now thinking of selling it and would also like to know a spark alternative. thanks for any suggestion.

as a new owner i bought my spark last dec. but due to busy work schedule till now i have not flown it yet.in fact it is still sitting in its box. i've done a lot of reading on forums though and couldn't believe the topics on the otg issue. as an android user i now realised i've made a mistake on the spark. i'm now thinking of selling it and would also like to know a spark alternative. thanks for any suggestion.

people should stop complain about the OTG issue. The spark is a small entertainment drone that work very well. in wifi you can achieve range far gretter that what can do your naked eye. This allow a lot of possibilities.

In the very rare cases where you really need big range and otg, use one of the modded 4.1.5 version that you can find on the forum.

You should at least try it rather than taking other people’s word for it. Plenty of people have absolutely no issues with the Spark and android, but you only hear from the people complaining. Also, they’re mostly moaning about otg - which has never officially been supported by DJI.

Reactions: Victoria
Yeah, as others have said, disregard all that stuff you read about the "otg issue". It's a non-issue. Check it out for yourself.

I have owned a Hover Camera Passport and enjoyed it for what it was - a selfie drone.
One issue that is never mentioned is the fact it goes mental when the battery goes low!
I don't mean it misbehaves... it goes MENTAL!!!
I've had it stick to walls, doors, ceilings and that's just indoors!

Spark owner now and lovin' it!!!
f1pitpass on youtube

As everyone else has said, don’t knock it till you try it! No one is going to go out of their way to come here and yell that they have no issues with OTG, so you’re only hearing from those that do.

It’s not rational or reasonable to decide you don’t like a product you’ve never even tried because of internet rants.

I think the OTG issue is one that the users have very handily solved. I use an Android tablet with 4.1.15 modded with OTG, and it stops the Spark being an overly expensive toy and turns it into a serious piece of kit with astonishing capabilities. I really don't care that it's not DJI approved, since it's way more stable and usable than doing things the proper way- and that means it's safer and far less likely that I'll need to worry about warranties.

If you're not in the EU, the OTG problem is a non-issue. Get out and give Sparky a fly, she's a great little bird!

Reactions: Lastrexking
You should at least try it rather than taking other people’s word for it. Plenty of people have absolutely no issues with the Spark and android, but you only hear from the people complaining. Also, they’re mostly moaning about otg - which has never officially been supported by DJI.
I totally agree. The OTG is highly overrated, and has never been approved in it’s proposed function. And I use an ipad mini 4. Try using your Spark without it. We would like to think it’s a magic fix for drone to mobil device reception, but it causes more problems than what it’s worth. Height issues, error messages, false sensor readings..etc. I used to use it, but found it to be an annoyance with the operation of the spark, and an extra step setting it up. The only time it works well is when updating the software. You can keep your home wifi on and use the OTG to update. But to sell the Spark based on not being able to use the OTG? Also some of the most daring stunts achieved by any Spark pilot is Gareth5000. Some of the best flying I’ve seen, and totally without an OTG.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I use my HTC M9 & WI-FI and have not had any problems. If you have time to do a lot of reading, you need to get off the couch and enjoy your spark. As far as distance, the Spark is rather small and very hard to see over 100 yards. In my opinion if you can't see it, you don't need to risk flying it any further.

What I have found is most complainers are people who are new to drones and people who do not learn to read directions. Yes I had challenges when I first start flying, nervous being the biggest culprit and then just learning. It would be a lot harder and frustrating setting up a new Smartphone. Break it open and you will have some great fun. Within 4 weeks you will upgrade to a bigger bird. - Good luck.

I am an Android user Note 3 which I mostly use because it is spare, Note 8 my phone, Samsung tab 10.1 and Sony xperia tablet all work just fine with both my Spark and Mavic,I cant think of any Android specific Issue I have ever had, location and preparation before flying play a very big part in your Flying experience, Don't panic because you are an Android user I have NEVER used an Apple device in the 3 years I have flown DJI drones

since DJI fixed the firmware Spark has no rivals. Even Mavic can't equal the ease of use and inconspicuous nature of this little drone.
However in the beginning, with the old firmware, it was havoc.

I admit i shopped around. Went to a couple local places selling DJi Spark and Parrot Breeze quads. Got a demo on both and honestly, the Spark just had a certain "feel" of quality that the Breeze didn't. Then a guy walks in to one of the places i was in (Drone Nerds) with a Yuneec to be repaired after a crash. And everybody was chatting and the guy said he wished he had bought the Spark. Not to mention EVERYBODY i spoke with in these places said the same thing: DJI is tops in this market.

Bottom line: You can spend less and get less or spend more and get your money's worth.

I totally agree. The OTG is highly overrated, and has never been approved in it’s proposed function. And I use an ipad mini 4. Try using your Spark without it. We would like to think it’s a magic fix for drone to mobil device reception, but it causes more problems than what it’s worth. Height issues, error messages, false sensor readings..etc. I used to use it, but found it to be an annoyance with the operation of the spark, and an extra step setting it up. The only time it works well is when updating the software. You can keep your home wifi on and use the OTG to update. But to sell the Spark based on not being able to use the OTG? Also some of the most daring stunts achieved by any Spark pilot is Gareth5000. Some of the best flying I’ve seen, and totally without an OTG.
Lol, cheers Manny:)

Hello everyone, i just want to give my personal opinion, i am not expert or pro what so ever, when i take a look at all the model for the Spark alternatives (as Mimixtz mentioned above), then i just try to compare each of the them with Spark, so in term of price, Spark is the most highest price than others. But, i agreed with Lastrexking, in term of specs or any,none of those match the Spark. Not even close.

The close contender or maybe i would say a rival to Spark maybe the Parrot Bebop 2. But when i check the side by side comparison, it is still hit and miss specs or maybe a few pro and cons that make Spark wins more.

But maybe, i would like to have a Spark companion or "buddy" like Wingsland or Dobby. (of course Spark alone is just enough, but, you know just maybe if got some remaining cash to buy it)

Well, if someone has any remaining cash, please let me know. I'd very gladly help to spend it. :D

No offense Dronerguyz, I get your point. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers