Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark altitude world record 5014 meters

Moderators should delete this thread as it promotes irresponsible behavior on the part of drone owners. This simply contributes to the bad reputation much of the public has of us.

To put this in current phraseology: “That is why we can’t have good things.”
NB
This video was from China where as you could imagine there is not law for drones like in the US.

Reactions: Stanlee and JJJONZ
Still doesn't matter. It encourages behaviour that has negative implications for all drone pilots.
It could but everyone know that the guy on the video is flying illegally. This is just to show how capable the spark can be with a mod on the controller.

Reactions: JJJONZ
This is just to show how capable the spark can be with a mod on the controller.
No it proves nothing about the "Spark". The Spark cannot go up 5kms and descend safely to ground without the battery draining mid-flight.
And if you are making any kind of modifications, be it software or hardware, better call it something else.
This is just another dangerous and pointless stunt which someone has attempted just to get a few eyeballs rolling.

Last edited:
It could but everyone know that the guy on the video is flying illegally. This is just to show how capable the spark can be with a mod on the controller.
It's not only a mod on the controller.
It's a mod on the battery, on hardware (vertical speed 15m/s?), and software (custom firmware AND app).

As already said, it's not a Spark anymore.

But still, it is remarkable to see a little quad flying so high.
In a few years, I think drones will fly all over the skies.

Meaningless and dangerous! Call me hater or whatever... such videos should be deleted and the corresponding pilot accused. :mad:
Totally agee it's these individuals that could cause drones to be banned they should be reported having a Spark and a mavic platinum I have never gone higher than 400 feet tut tut. Irvine (Portsmouth UK )

I think the general consensus (a bit of a tortology ) is it's stuff like this that causes crippling constrictions. And China quite rightly has very similar laws to any other country, probably enforced with some vigour.

I think the general consensus (a bit of a tortology ) is it's stuff like this that causes crippling constrictions. And China quite rightly has very similar laws to any other country, probably enforced with some vigour.
I personally doubt that the Chinese authorities will be prosecuting the guy on the video. I could be wrong.

I looked on the internet, you know the place you can find anything, I found the Splat calculator at anglo.net/personal . My thinking is I have had a battery disconnect in flight, what if the battery disconnected at 5,000 meters and it? The Splat Calculator determined the battery velocity would be about 700 mph at impact, time to drop is 32 seconds with an impact energy of 122500 joules. I looked up to find the comparative joules. An F1 grenade produces 252kj so it is basically half as powerful as a grenade. Explain that to your parents when it hits the house. Luckliy I would never do this and I'm old enough to not have to explain anything to my parents. However, now that I researched grenades on the internet, others maybe interested in me :)

Reactions: nilanjan118
Crazy... what if it crashed back to Earth though?
That has been explained in post #16 (quoted below).

I looked on the internet, you know the place you can find anything, I found the Splat calculator at anglo.net/personal . My thinking is I have had a battery disconnect in flight, what if the battery disconnected at 5,000 meters and it? The Splat Calculator determined the battery velocity would be about 700 mph at impact, time to drop is 32 seconds with an impact energy of 122500 joules. I looked up to find the comparative joules. An F1 grenade produces 252kj so it is basically half as powerful as a grenade. Explain that to your parents when it hits the house. Luckliy I would never do this and I'm old enough to not have to explain anything to my parents. However, now that I researched grenades on the internet, others maybe interested in me :)
Very good explanation. Any object falling from height is dangerous. This is the reason why drone regulations of all countries specifically put a cap on the maximum altitude we should fly at. However regarding distance, there is never a clear cut limit. Almost all of them only say - Fly in VLOS.

Reactions: pmshop and Surfnut

This "splat calculator" is very VERY inaccurate.

In real world, every object falling in the AIR, reaches a maximum speed (terminal velocity) and stops accelerating any more.

A Spark battery (or a Spark with battery) falling from 5 km, will hit the ground with a speed of 60 to 90 kph (don't have the time to calculate exactly right know).
It's far FAR smaller than the ...1000 kph of the splat calculator.

Also, drones (until now) are NOT dangerous.
There isn't a single death, caused by a drone, in whole world.

Finally, if someone flies illegally, that means that the airspace he flies in, is already regulated.

If height limit is 120m, what stricter can be done? It is already forbidden to fly higher.

Violation of rules, is an authorities matter.
We are not police or judges, and we don't know the whole story.

In real world, every object falling in the AIR, reaches a maximum speed (terminal velocity) and stops accelerating any more.
Just shows that I am terribly out of touch with Physics, although it used to be my favourite subject. Sigh!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef