Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark and Wi-Fi

I've never flown phone only, but always thought there was a restriction.
A google search > spark wifi distance < brings up a DJI website page where it says . . .

"The max transmission range while flying Spark with your phone over WiFi is 100 m (262 ft) distance, and 50 m (164 ft) height."

Have you tried flying like this yet, and how did you find results to those distances above ?
WIFI is merely the connection device to drone, no mobile connection is needed, but reliable distance is severely limited . . . controller wifi is better to aircraft of course (I have always used a cable though).

Interestingly, another thread awoke this morning from a similar problem from a post 2 years ago, many are having problems with wifi connection flight.

No Wi Fi and Reset Problem

I'm not sure if you are having connection problems, your controller might have developed a problem, or perhaps you just want to take a trip without extra gear and fly with a phone.

Thanks for your fast response. I know think I was clear. I have the dji software on my phone, the RC - transmitter -- and the drone. But I transferred my phone number to a new phone, which won't take the dji software (that's another issue entirely). I want to use my old phone which no longer connects to an ISP like Verizon because I transferred the phone number. Will the Spark fly its normal range like up to 400' with this old phone, proper dji software, a transmitter, etc. The wireless connections have alreayd been saved in the phone.

Will the Spark fly its normal range like up to 400' with this old phone, proper dji software, a transmitter, etc. The wireless connections have alreayd been saved in the phone.

I don't know more than the above info from DJI ("The max transmission range while flying Spark with your phone over WiFi is 100 m (262 ft) distance, and 50 m (164 ft) height."), but have you flown before with a phone only to 400' altitude ?

I don't know more than the above info from DJI ("The max transmission range while flying Spark with your phone over WiFi is 100 m (262 ft) distance, and 50 m (164 ft) height."), but have you flown before with a phone only to 400' altitude ?
I have flown to 400' altitude many times but the phone I used (with the RC transmitter and dji software) had an active phone number connected to a carrier like T-Mobile or Verizon, though there's no wireless service where I routinely fly. As far as I know, the wireless comes from the RC transmitter through saved networks in the phone to the spark. I am going to sound dumb as dirt here. I still have the phone with the saved networks, but the phone number on the phone is no longer active, that it I can't connect to any carrier. I can connect to wireless but there's no wireless where I routinely fly. I am a little fearful to test this, so I haven't flown my spark with this phone.

Will the Spark fly its normal range like up to 400' with this old phone, proper dji software, a transmitter, etc. The wireless connections have alreayd been saved in the phone.

Yes.

Your old phone should work fine without a data carrier.

I've flown with a WiFi only mini 4 for years.

You should still be able to use your old phone as a WiFi device and update maps, etc. using the home Wifi before flights.

You can always use your new phone as a Hotspot to connect your old phone to when flying if you needed a "live" connection.

Yes.

Your old phone should work fine without a data carrier.

I've flown with a WiFi only mini 4 for years.

You should still be able to use your old phone as a WiFi device and update maps, etc. using the home Wifi before flights.

You can always use your new phone as a Hotspot to connect your old phone to when flying if you needed a "live" connection.

Thanks so much for the info. Very helpful!

Reactions: Spark 317
I flew 500 m distance and 120 m high with a Samsung "phone only" on a flat.

(<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:gx="http://www.google.com/kml/ext/2.2" xmlns:kml="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:atom="Atom Syndication Format namespace">
<Document>
<name>KmlFile</name>
<Style id="s_ylw-pushpin">
<IconStyle>
<scale>1.1</scale>
<Icon>
<href>http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/pushpin/ylw-pushpin.png</href>
</Icon>
<hotSpot x="20" y="2" xunits="pixels" yunits="pixels"/>
</IconStyle>
</Style>
<StyleMap id="m_ylw-pushpin">