Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark battery redesign?

Brojon

Join
Jul 23, 2018
Someone mentioned on Dji Facebook group that the Spark battery had been redesigned due to them falling out.
Sounds bogus but if true how can you tell new from old?

It is true. The little black triangles on the side of the batteries are slightly larger on the newer version to help lock them in. I have 2 of each and I also can feel the difference when taking the battery out of the spark. It takes a little more effort to take it out.

Those pix show the difference perfectly! Thanks!!
I only ask because I just bought 3 extra batteries and I want to make sure I'm not getting old stock.

Those pix show the difference perfectly! Thanks!!
I only ask because I just bought 3 extra batteries and I want to make sure I'm not getting old stock.

I'm not sure when the production date was when they produced the new ones but I have a total of 6 purchased at different times and they were all 2017.

You probably know this but for those who don't, each battery can be loaded on the Spark and with the Go4 app battery section you can see when the battery was made, the number of times charged, and general health of the battery.

'tis true - but I don't know when the design change was effective.

That is interesting. I have 4 batteries...2 came with the spark and 2 spare I purchased a few days later. 3 are new, but one of the spares is old.....guess it is luck of the draw...

Old Style made - Jul 12th, 2017
New Style made - Aug 9th, 2017

Reactions: Brojon
3EF78475-2EBA-41ED-9061-818006A0CB54.jpeg The redesigned retention clips have decreased the frequency of premature battery release but the overall design still leads to user errors.

You need to be very deliberate when inserting a fresh battery: 1) listen for 2 clicks to know clips are engaged and then 2) pull backwards on battery to make sure it is secure. The battery is so small that it's very difficult to take these two steps without accidently pressing one of the release buttons. They updated manual to address this better (as above).

I'm hoping Spark 2 has a locking switch or slider mechanism that is more reliable.

Reactions: Brojon
Thanks - I've been running my own tests and they seem to snap in securely but being a cynic I ordered the strap as well.
"Fortune favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

Reactions: desert spark
If I remember correctly..
Old battery QR code is a sticker, while new design QR code is printed.
Someone able to confirm?
With pictures to compare?

Thanks Hddeuce03 for sharing the pictures. The battery that I got with my spark has the new "improved" tabs while the two batteries I got from best buy on the buy one, get one half off sale, have the old style tabs. Must be why BB is discounting them. I had one almost pop out not long ago. I had actually flown it and after I landed it and picked it up I noticed the battery had almost fully detached. I guess I'll be buying one of those retaining clips.

David

Reactions: Steve83
Thanks Hddeuce03 for sharing the pictures. The battery that I got with my spark has the new "improved" tabs while the two batteries I got from best buy on the buy one, get one half off sale, have the old style tabs. Must be why BB is discounting them. I had one almost pop out not long ago. I had actually flown it and after I landed it and picked it up I noticed the battery had almost fully detached. I guess I'll be buying one of those retaining clips.

David
Hmm - both of the BB batteries I bought are both the new design. Luckily same with the new Spark that came with an extra bat. Still got a clip for insurance ;)

I purchased the battery guard from Amazon..works great except if you want to use your propeller guards the battery plastic guard won't fit. Does anyone know of a battery guard that will fit along with your propeller guards? Thanks!

I purchased the battery guard from Amazon..works great except if you want to use your propeller guards the battery plastic guard won't fit. Does anyone know of a battery guard that will fit along with your propeller guards? Thanks!

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Lavarock.

Check out this thread.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit