Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark bird strikes?

Gduk

Join
Aug 27, 2019
Whilst minding my own business at 200 feet above my house this summer, a big fat Turkey vulture flew over really quite close for an inspection, really taking an interest,whilst not predatory, I was in his airspace apparently.
I did two things very quickly, I yelped like an 8 year old girl, and rapidly set into a quick as I could descent :0
Has anyone actually (maybe nesting season) had an attack?
Do I turn my Spark into a yellow and black big fake wasp deterrent colour scheme.
Or will it probably never happen.

I’ve had times when the birds wouldn’t leave my poor little Spark alone. I always fly LOS and experienced a bird too close followed by a second, third and forth bird circling. Brought it back tome but they followed so I landed the Spark. I waited for a considerable amount of time and the birds disappeared. Put the Spark back in the air and here comes the birds again. Once again landed and called it a day. This has happened on several occasions.
I don’t know if changing the color would help (mines red) because I believe that it’s the noise that attracts them. I will always give way to the birds not only because of my drone being damage but also I figure that I’m in their space. The sky belongs to them.

Birds are one reason I like using the prop guards. They make the Spark look bigger and may thwart a bird a strike. If anything, the props will be protected if the bird does strike.

And don't forget about the Sport mode button. Use it to get the heck out of there. :)

I have a white one and for ocasions there are birds around it but never agressively, no problems up until now...

Hello in my country it is spring and I am spending a few days near the beach and when flying to the spark appear swallows that fly over the drone and being several, I have no choice but to go down to the drone .... when I lower it I have to look no there are dogs, because the buzz bothers them ... but that's another topic ? regardsorg_84f8b025daf0b61c_1572523952000.jpg

Birds are one reason I like using the prop guards. They make the Spark look bigger and may thwart a bird a strike. If anything, the props will be protected if the bird does strike.

And don't forget about the Sport mode button. Use it to get the heck out of there. :)
Ello.... props guards is a good idea

Reactions: Spark 317

I use the props to protect the birds, guess it’s just a different way to look at things.

I was waiting for some turkey vultures to clear an area before I flew. Decided to pull out the camera with a big telephoto lens to get some BIF shots. Vultures immediately drifted off. Lol.

I've had a few different types of birds buzz me, some way too close for comfort. Had a close call the other day with some terns (I believe), they weren't buzzing the drone per se, more like avoiding it last second. Thankfully they're a better flyer than I.

Did have my Spark harassed by Swifts once...
1f642.png
SparkSwifts.jpg

During the nesting season I regularly have oystercatchers around my drone making a lot of noise and try to impress the drone. For me this is the sign to move on. I don't think they will really attack the drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers