Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark crashed during first indoor flight

Daniel Liew

Join
Jul 18, 2017
Something strange just happened. I was flying indoors in a stadium for the first time just now. No GPS, only VPS. I launched the spark up to about 1 foot above ground hoping that it'll hover . Suddenly it started going crazy and started flying away. Could this be due to the video positioning system getting confused? The floor is just plain beige color. It only stopped after it crashed into a wall.
I later used the auto launch and it went up to 1.2m and started hovering as it should. Hope someone can help enlighten me... Thanks.

Were you using a RC or the phone to control the AC ?

Did you check for compass and imu interference and the wireless channel, as part of the pre-flight check, I always have a quick look at these settings before heading off.

Were you using a RC or the phone to control the AC ?

Did you check for compass and imu interference and the wireless channel, as part of the pre-flight check, I always have a quick look at these settings before heading off.
I was using the remote controller. Didn't check the compass or IMU status as I've always calibrated only when prompted. Anyway compass calibration almost always fails on my drone, even when there's nothing metallic close by.

Something strange just happened. I was flying indoors in a stadium for the first time just now. No GPS, only VPS. I launched the spark up to about 1 foot above ground hoping that it'll hover . Suddenly it started going crazy and started flying away. Could this be due to the video positioning system getting confused? The floor is just plain beige color. It only stopped after it crashed into a wall.
I later used the auto launch and it went up to 1.2m and started hovering as it should. Hope someone can help enlighten me... Thanks.

Was there adequate lighting?

Also, the VPS likes a pattern on the floor best, but I've flown over a gray cement floor with no problem.

Was there adequate lighting?

Also, the VPS likes a pattern on the floor best, but I've flown over a gray cement floor with no problem.
I would say lighting was adequate. Funny things was, when I flew it higher, it was fine. Only when I was flying about 1 foot above ground it happened.

Most important: did the LEDs flash yellow one time or green two times after takeoff?
Also, check the flight record to see what mode it was. That might help.

Most important: did the LEDs flash yellow one time or green two times after takeoff?
Also, check the flight record to see what mode it was. That might help.
Couldn't remember the LED Color. Are you referring to GPS vs VPS mode? On the screen it said VPS only

I was using the remote controller. Didn't check the compass or IMU status as I've always calibrated only when prompted. Anyway compass calibration almost always fails on my drone, even when there's nothing metallic close by.

You should look into why you are failing the compass the calibration.

You should look into why you are failing the compass the calibration.
Agreed... hopefully it's not hardware issue but rather user error... But could this be the reason why it went crazy flying indoors? I manually launched it to about 1 foot, and it was hovering for a short while before starting to fly towards the wall.

If i am indoors, i usually palm launch. Why? there could magnetic interference in the ground.
Is it possible you took off on a metal table/chairs?

If i am indoors, i usually palm launch. Why? there could magnetic interference in the ground.
Is it possible you took off on a metal table/chairs?
I can't remember if I took off from the ground or the hard case. But definitely there were lots of metal around as it was an indoor stadium. Magnetic interference could cause a drone to fly away on its own? That's really scary!

I can't remember if I took off from the ground or the hard case. But definitely there were lots of metal around as it was an indoor stadium. Magnetic interference could cause a drone to fly away on its own? That's really scary!

Yes, compass seems to be the most important part of all the things like GPS, IR sensors, cameras and barometer. Maybe that's why the Mavic has two of them!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme