Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark distance

redsox93

Join
May 23, 2018
Loc
Toronto, Ontario
I'm wondering how people manage to fly their Spark at any distance past 300M? The video feed from my spark to phone begins to get laggy/glitchy on me at around the 200-250M distance (on a good day). At around 250-300M my spark will lose connection to the phone and that's when I usually panic and start smashing the RTH button. I purchased an OTG cable to give it a shot and I really don't think it helped at all, especially considering how finicky it is and the extra time required to get it connected to the spark.

I've been eyeing the wi-fi range extender (https://www.amazon.ca/Extender-iMus...pID=41HNIby3CEL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch) but I was curious if anyone has tried these with positive results? I've almost sunk $100 into my spark in extra accessories, and I'd like to avoid another purchase if this thing doesn't do much.

Besides that, is there anything else I can do/try to get more range out of my spark? Recently, I've tried to be very mindful when flying of which direction my antennas are facing, and I try to keep them parallel with the spark at all times. I've also noticed that my spark exclusively flies in 5.8ghz, which I'm not sure if it affects this or not?

Anyways, I would appreciate any tips or suggestions you guys can give. Thanks.

My record so far is 3,000 ft or roughly 900 meters. Could have gone farther but didn't start my trek on a full battery. Also, was not in sport mode so was chugging along at about 6 mph back and forth. I had no issue with video transmission. I fly using OTG cable. This was out in the swamps so there were no obstructions of buildings or trees or radio interference to deal with.

I fly mainly at my cottage where the only interference is trees. There isn't a radio tower or building taller than a house within miles. What's your procedure for connecting OTG? I find it takes me like 5-10 tries before it'll connect.

I use an Ipad Mini 4. Wait until the Spark and the RC connect, see the green light on the RC. Then connect OTG cable to RC and then the Ipad. You will get an error message on the Ipad that you can dismiss and you should be able to open up the Go 4 app and see your camera view. Never had an issue following that procedure.

Reactions: Andre Levite
The place my Spark came from sells this.... Sparkwave Duo Range Extender for Mavic Air / DJI Spark , they are located in Toronto (downsview) not sure if its effective or not. The parabolic antenna boosters seem to work for most folks.

Are you sure you have an OTG cable? I had an Apple cable which looked just like one but was not compatible.

Also, try 2.4 (use the "custom" setting) to switch to that band.

I use an Ipad Mini 4. Wait until the Spark and the RC connect, see the green light on the RC. Then connect OTG cable to RC and then the Ipad. You will get an error message on the Ipad that you can dismiss and you should be able to open up the Go 4 app and see your camera view. Never had an issue following that procedure.

Exactly my process and works most every time, occasionally I have had to reboot the iPhone before it will work.

OTG will not improve range of the drone however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hddeuce03
I'm wondering how people manage to fly their Spark at any distance past 300M? The video feed from my spark to phone begins to get laggy/glitchy on me at around the 200-250M distance (on a good day). At around 250-300M my spark will lose connection to the phone and that's when I usually panic and start smashing the RTH button. I purchased an OTG cable to give it a shot and I really don't think it helped at all, especially considering how finicky it is and the extra time required to get it connected to the spark.

I've been eyeing the wi-fi range extender (https://www.amazon.ca/Extender-iMus...pID=41HNIby3CEL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch) but I was curious if anyone has tried these with positive results? I've almost sunk $100 into my spark in extra accessories, and I'd like to avoid another purchase if this thing doesn't do much.

Besides that, is there anything else I can do/try to get more range out of my spark? Recently, I've tried to be very mindful when flying of which direction my antennas are facing, and I try to keep them parallel with the spark at all times. I've also noticed that my spark exclusively flies in 5.8ghz, which I'm not sure if it affects this or not?

Most probably the short range you get is due to 5.8G band the drone had selected. It took 5.8G because there was disturbance in 2.4G band, by default it takes 2.4G.
If you have anything on you using Bluetooth, shut it down. If something use wifi near you, turn it off.
Even in CE mode, distance more than 1000 meters are achievable. Parabolic reflectors, can be for a few extra 100 meters but there are some ok ones with a parabola curve, some with fancy curve and so less good. You can use a laser point to check your. Also check the holes location to insert the antenna. Some have holes not at right position and the antennas are not parallel when inserted in the reflector.
OTG cable can help but is not a real must if there is really no disturbance in the area.

The furthest that I have went is 4080 feet (1244 meters) the only reason I turned back was because I remembered that there some radio towers just in front of me.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Harvey
Are there any possible risks associated with forcing 2.4ghz channel? I've yet to mess around with any of the wifi settings, I usually just pick up and go after doing some of the basic pre-flight checks. Why is it that no matter where I'm flying my spark auto connects to 5.8? Is 2.4 not readily available in Canada? Or how does it decide what to use? Is 5.8 known to give shorter flying distances?

When flying at my cottage the only devices that could possibly be interrupting my spark would be my own devices (phone, computer etc) or anyone elses devices whose at the cottage with me. Last time I was up there I also made sure to turn off BT on my phone before taking off (didn't change anything).

Also curious if uploading any of my flight data and having someone look at it would be able to tell me in more detail why I can't achieve even a 1/3 of what some people here are saying?

Last edited:
Are there any possible risks associated with forcing 2.4ghz channel? I've yet to mess around with any of the wifi settings, I usually just pick up and go after doing some of the basic pre-flight checks. Why is it that no matter where I'm flying my spark auto connects to 5.8? Is 2.4 not readily available in Canada? Or how does it decide what to use? Is 5.8 known to give shorter flying distances?

When flying at my cottage the only devices that could possibly be interrupting my spark would be my own devices (phone, computer etc) or anyone elses devices whose at the cottage with me. Last time I was up there I also made sure to turn off BT on my phone before taking off (didn't change anything).
No, it is even better if you can get it working at 2.4G in EU area.
It is basically matter of range if you are in Europe with CE setup. In US like (FCC mode), the 2.4G or 5.8G power is more or like averaged with their efficiency so at the end, it is more matter of "free channels" than something else.
In CE area, 5.8G is a killer for range as the power have to be much lower.

Apart from that, your own devices weared near RC/device using 2.4G (wifi or Bluetooth) (watch, phone, laptop, wifi access point/repeater, ...) will reduce your range. In fact it will be killer for Spark killer.

"and I try to keep them parallel with the spark"
i suppose you meant "perpendicular" ?! That's the way it should...

Or you can switch to the dark side and use some mods on your Spark to boost the transmission power.
But as you want to fly beyond 300 m and I assume in your country you are not allowed to fly beyond sight, you’re already on the dark side. ;)

Reactions: Phxbird57
i have been to 1000m without any lag or range issues and almost 100 percent video quality and range and only turned back coz i didnt start with full battery i use totally stock spark i just use fcc and manually select best channel on 2.4ghz as 2.4ghz gives best range and i use otg cable and the main thing is to use 4.2.16 app for andriod as that is the best version of dji go 4 which gives no lag at all i have used 4.2.20 as well and that is worse so after trying almost every version after 4.1.15 i find 4.2.16 to.be the best version so far which also supports otg so just select best channel on 2.4ghz manually and always use fcc mode for long range and fly atleast 50+ meters of height

Sent from my SM-G955F using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

... after 4.1.15 i find 4.2.16 to.be the best version so far which also supports otg so just select best channel on 2.4ghz manually and always use fcc mode for long range and fly atleast 50+ meters of height

Interesting.

Assuming you are not in a fcc country you use fake gps to switch into fcc mode?

Do you find the range, lag so much better on 4.2.16 that it outweighs the convenience you have when using a 4.1.14 or 4.1.15 mod app, aka. no nagging flying in wrong country dialog, Mavic flight modes etc.?

With the otg cable my video is as good as the mavic pro out to about 1000 km maybe you should factory reset your phone or tablet and start fresh. it really is that good for me sorry you are not having a good time with yours.

Interesting.

Assuming you are not in a fcc country you use fake gps to switch into fcc mode?

Do you find the range, lag so much better on 4.2.16 that it outweighs the convenience you have when using a 4.1.14 or 4.1.15 mod app, aka. no nagging flying in wrong country dialog, Mavic flight modes etc.?
yes i am in ce country and i do have 4.1.15 mod app and use it to switch to fcc mode and the lag and connection is as good as mod app only advantage i have is i can manually select the best wifi channel with otg and that doesnt work on mod app .for me checkinf wifi signal graph is more important and if i have to use mavic mods i do have mod app installed as well :)

I went over 8000ft on a crisp clear evening once-I've hit 7000 a few times. No OTG cable or range extender stuff. 4000-5000 ft is plenty for me.

I think humidity/weather conditions are the biggest factors.

Reactions: Phxbird57

Your using a remote too right and not just a phone?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme