Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark + DJI Google | Critical issues

TheCyberKnight

Join
Jul 19, 2017
Loc
Canada
Got my DJI Goggles last week and did few flights with the Spark last week-end.

On the positive side, the image is clear and smooth. A lot smoother than if you use a cheap Android phone that may have a hard time decoding the video feed. Also, the fact that you're isolated from ambient light is really nice.

On the less positive side, there is a lot less information about the battery than with the DJI Go 4 application. You're only limited to remaining battery percentage. Forget the nice bar with estimated remaining time and suggested return-to-home point. You're really back to the basics.

Now, on the critically bad things.
  • Once you reach the low-battery level (the one previously set with DJI Go 4), you get a pop-up window advising you that return-to-home will be initiated in 10 seconds. You can either "confirm" or "cancel" using two buttons that you select with the touch pad. The problem is that the "cancel" button does nothing, whatever the number of times you select it. You therefore end-up with a forced return-to-home. This flaw cost me a minor crash as the Spark started to ascent to its RTH altitude but was underneath a large tree at this moment. Fortunately no damages.
  • For some reason, once connected to the goggles, the Spark remote buttons controlling the video and picture taking just stop working. Their only use at this point seems to change the resolution at which the video feed is sent - to match the resolution mode used by the camera. It was not able to ever take a picture or start filming with either the remote control or the goggles UI. This single issue makes the goggles totally useless.
As anyone had better success with their Spark and DJI Goggles?

For the record, all my equipment was using the latest firmware.

The use of Goggles with Spark is not supported at this time.

Somewhat true.
Upon release, the official DJI Spark page did promote the DJI goggles with the aircraft.
It has since been updated to state that goggles compatibility is coming soon.

The operative phrase in my post, and to explain to the original poster why he was having issues, "...not supported at this time."

Therefore, my post was entirely true.

Ignorant question ;)
How can you fly using the goggles? I tried yesterday just flying by screen and it was somewhat hard to judge how close the drone was from side objects. Are there any tips on getting better understanding surrounding distance between drone and near objects?

For instance I wanted to get close to an empty lot next to my backyard and wanted to take some pictures to some wild flowers. The drone was at eye sight all the time but I wanted to experiment what it will feel like flying by camera view only. Front view is fine but very hard to judge what's around and how close can I get without collision.

Ignorant question ;)
How can you fly using the goggles? I tried yesterday just flying by screen and it was somewhat hard to judge how close the drone was from side objects. Are there any tips on getting better understanding surrounding distance between drone and near objects?

It takes practice, but it can be done. Check out some of the drone racing videos on YouTube.

Reactions: xXxDieselxXx
Fly forward. Pause. Rotate slowly left, then right. Take a "look" at your surroundings before panning left or right. You could rise up and take a look but there's no top camera to see what's above when watching the screen. Have patience. Be careful.

Ignorant question ;)

For instance I wanted to get close to an empty lot next to my backyard and wanted to take some pictures to some wild flowers. The drone was at eye sight all the time but I wanted to experiment what it will feel like flying by camera view only. Front view is fine but very hard to judge what's around and how close can I get without collision.

Technically, you should never fly without a spotter if you wear the goggles.

This being said, I have to say that I usually ensured I was flying at an altitude or area that is clear from potential obstacles. Practice is key here to get a proper "feeling" of what you actually see.

The operative phrase in my post, and to explain to the original poster why he was having issues, "...not supported at this time."

Therefore, my post was entirely true.

Seems you want to play with words...

Since
  • the picture is properly sent to the goggles
  • the full avionics information is displayed in real-time
  • the reported gimbal angle position is relevant
  • the information on the video feed format is right
  • the warning messages are properly relayed to the visor
I consider DJI partially supports the Spark and this is probably why they initially showed the goggles with the Spark on their web site.

Now, does it work perfectly? Not yet.

In the end, anyone considering the DJI goggles for the Spark at this moment should be aware of the limitations.

I noticed the Goggles are now in the official accessory list when you select Spark - Accessories on the DJI Store.

Okay so today's Spark update is so you can use the DJI Goggles with them. Anyone know how you do this (Use the DJI Goggles with the Spark)?

aha, an update for the drone. I like the part where your aircraft will no longer fly past 9/1/2017 if you don't take the update.....

And Remote if you have one....

aha, an update for the drone. I like the part where your aircraft will no longer fly past 9/1/2017 if you don't take the update.....

Okay so today's Spark update is so you can use the DJI Goggles with them. Anyone know how you do this (Use the DJI Goggles with the Spark)?
I do like I always have in the past, connected the Goggles to the Spark controller via a usb cable. There is a new update for the Goggles today.

Awesome now I just need some goggles!

Has anyone else noticed that the head tracking gets off kilter fairly quickly, and you start spinning around in a circle while looking forward? I have to rotate my body to "re-zero" the horizontal axis, and never know which way I will be facing when I land!

Also, there is a huge "dead zone" in the center, like a 1970's American car. I would like for subtle movements to be reflected, same as it does with the gimbal pitch, which works perfectly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers