Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark External Battery Adapter

Would you try this on your Spark?

• Total voters
Weird considering that it won't power up when charging ?
Yes it will. This is not connected to the USB. This is just a splice to connect to the battery pins. Also its lacking an external source, what you see in that picture is just the splice. You would still need to fit 2 thin small batteries on either side of the spark. Here's how that looks on the Mavic:
d9ab44f4de4121f07375c6f1ba3b02be.jpg

Reactions: Kn0xster
I’m tempted to try something like this but don’t have the guts yet. I did try a lift test on the spark and would recommend a battery that weighs less than 100g. For stability of the little spark. Also I recommend that II don’t attach to the bottom, it will affect the infra red sensors. (I out a tiny tile on the bottom and it always red .7 feet off the ground.).

Here’s a video of my weight tests

I’m tempted to try something like this but don’t have the guts yet. I did try a lift test on the spark and would recommend a battery that weighs less than 100g. For stability of the little spark. Also I recommend that II don’t attach to the bottom, it will affect the infra red sensors. (I out a tiny tile on the bottom and it always red .7 feet off the ground.).

Interesting info on the weight tests. Thanks His415. I'll try and get hold of one when they are available and do some tests on my side. Im not expecting miracles but could be a nice little addition.

Thats quite cool. How much extra time do you get on the Mavic with the addition of the extra battery weight?
This particular mod weighs 176g and adds 8:20min in regular flight and 4:30 in sport mode. There are better lighter more powerful setups. There are even setups that have all the wiring internal with just a plug out of the back LED.

That’s pretty good for the mavic, I can only hope it’s better for the spark.

Why try to squeeze in to the frame? Why not just use the external battery contacts on the bottom?

Reactions: gitch
I had been tinkering with the spark (before it ended up in the bottom of a lake) and this thing DOES NOT like added weight.
I added about 90g and I had warm motors and error warning messages and pretty sure it had a bad impact on handling, it wasn't a good experience. It seemed to cope with about 45-50 ok but conditions were good.

Just buy yourself the triple charger, get 3 lipos and enjoy it for what it is.
I think you would have to butcher this thing to get any effective mods from it and there isn't much real estate.

Or just buy the mavic, and its all there out of the box.

Reactions: DPK
Thats quite cool. How much extra time do you get on the Mavic with the addition of the extra battery weight?
I think this would be possible with the Spark. Maybe just two 1000mah batteries on the sides

Mavic Pro Mod 4.5 miles.Still002.jpg
10-15-172.png 10-15-20171.png
IMG_20171020_1634161.jpg IMG_20171020_1634341.jpg

Attachments

• 10-15-171.png
    10-15-171.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: Kn0xster
It will certainly load the craft per haps making it unstable, but not until it's too late.
Lipos have enormous rf absorbing abilities and could well shield the signals to and from the controller again when it's too late.
The self levelling gyros ets will be finely tuned for the expected inertial loads which you will seriously interferewith.
There's probably dozens more reasons not to do it .

Like i said above, I have loaded my new spark with 90-100 grams and it did not like it.

The motors were hot when i got it down, I had motor warning errors and I had a scary moment where control seemed compromised.
So despite the above video showing it lifting more, there is a HUGE difference between it hovering in a garden with at max weight and it being flown as you would expect to in the real world.

Unless the additional lipo and adapter are less than 60g (doubtful) I would not go there.

There is scope for taking weight off the Spark if you're ambitious and into this stuff, maybe adding stiffer props would also help in which case, if you can shave off 50g-75g stock, you could in theory add 100g-125g in total and still retain a decent handling drone.

However, If flight time is that important to you, you should really look into putting the spark on a diet and just keeping the stock setup, it will look tidier, save you money and be less hassle/ safer. I think you could shave 50g off a spark and that would give you 2-3 minutes more which is quite a lot really.

That is the smart way to get more time. Everything else will end in tears.

Last edited:
However, If flight time is that important to you, you should really look into putting the spark on a diet and just keeping the stock setup, it will look tidier, save you money and be less hassle/ safer. I think you could shave 50g to 75g off a spark and that would give you 2-3 minutes more which would add an extra 1000-2500 extra meters to your flight potential depending on conditions.

That is the smart way to get more time. Everything else will end in tears.
I agree with what you're saying here! I am definitely not putting any extra weight on my Spark! I use my Mavic for that and it's fun to mess around with but I am leaning more toward cinemaphotography (amateur of course) for my Spark (and my Mavic and when the Phantom 5 comes out).

I agree with what you're saying here! I am definitely not putting any extra weight on my Spark! I use my Mavic for that and it's fun to mess around with but I am leaning more toward cinemaphotography (amateur of course) for my Spark (and my Mavic and when the Phantom 5 comes out).
Any news on P5?

You could always try this

I get 18mins flight time with 10% left. But problem is the braking distance. If you go to right and them you want to go to the left... it takes 5 meters and without mod is takes 10 cm!! so use this mod only for high distances flights.

Fun to see, but still NOT worth it IMO, but each to their own.

Reactions: Flycombo
The idea is great. However, even I (a person, who doesn't understands much in this stuff) doubt this idea. I would like to try it, but the fact that my Spark may become unstable is stopping me. Only if it was stable with this stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe