Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark hyperlapse of incoming cold front

shuggins

Join
Oct 11, 2018
Loc
Grapevine, TX
Hello all! How's the weather in your parts? After a long time of no love for my Spark, I've been flying it a lot the past few weeks. There are many things this drone can still do better than my Mini 2. It flies so much stronger! This hyperlapse was done (at first) in 18-20 mph winds. The final 3 seconds (I wish it was longer) was during the full brunt of the wind and cold. It went from 79 degrees here in Northlake, Texas to 39 in 15 minute span. The Spark was being blown around pretty good, but it came back to me no problems at all! The Go 4 app was constantly telling me to land asap due to high winds.

To anyone that might be interested in knowing how to hyperlapse on Spark - let me know, and I will explain how I do it.

To think I was close to selling my Spark is a little sad, but I won't let this little beast go! I know there are others here whom are the same way - and I love and respect all of you for that! ;-)

I hope everyone has a GREAT 2022!

(please choose 1080p if you can)

Hello all! How's the weather in your parts? After a long time of no love for my Spark, I've been flying it a lot the past few weeks. There are many things this drone can still do better than my Mini 2. It flies so much stronger! This hyperlapse was done (at first) in 18-20 mph winds. The final 3 seconds (I wish it was longer) was during the full brunt of the wind and cold. It went from 79 degrees here in Northlake, Texas to 39 in 15 minute span. The Spark was being blown around pretty good, but it came back to me no problems at all! The Go 4 app was constantly telling me to land asap due to high winds.

To anyone that might be interested in knowing how to hyperlapse on Spark - let me know, and I will explain how I do it.

To think I was close to selling my Spark is a little sad, but I won't let this little beast go! I know there are others here whom are the same way - and I love and respect all of you for that! ;-)

Cool video Shuggins! Thanks for sharing!

Me too for the hyperlapse and me too never selling my spark as it covers perfect the shortcomings of my MP

Linda, ThierrydL, twickers14, moore9609, Roland: thank you! This is my favorite thing to do with drones for some reason.

Since the Spark does not have hyperlapse built in like Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic Air 2, etc, you can still use DJI Go 4 to do it. This looks like a lot of steps, but once you do it 1-2 times, it's actually pretty quick to do the steps below.

Launch your drone and position it in the direction you want to fly.

In settings:
1. Set the camera to take "timed shot" and set it for 2s (once every 2 seconds it takes a picture).
2. Enter into Tap Fly. Tap on the dot shown in the middle of the screen. Tap the dot to tell it to start flying towards that. I like to set set the speed to 2.2 mph (the slowest setting) - use the slider to move the speed down.
3. Once Tap Fly is going, you tap the shutter button in Go 4, and as it slowly flies towards the horizon, it'll take a picture every 2 seconds. Let it fly until around 20% battery then bring Spark back and land it.
4. Pull all the photos off the SD card onto a single folder on your computer (like c:\hyperlapse).
5. Use software to import the photos and stitch them together into a 24 frames per sec video. I use Final Cut Pro X. But, you can do it with DaVinci Resolve, Adobe Premier Pro, Hitfilm Express, etc.

When you import all your photos onto the timeline in your video software, highlight all of them (control+a) and then right-click and create a composite (or compound) clip. Do color correction and apply stabilization (if the video ends up shaky). Try it out!

*** Your software should have anti-shake (called stabilize or warp in some software) you can apply if your pictures are showing you got pushed around in the wind.

Please let me know if there's anything confusing - and I can explain more. I might do a youtube tutorial for this if anyone wants that. It is SOOO worth it to learn the steps above. I've used it to do about 150 hyperlapses in the 4+ years that I've owned the Spark. if you do one yourself....PLEASE, PLEASE share it! I would love to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RotorWash
Fantastic instructions, how on earth did you work that out?Really clever and thank you. I am afraid I only have iMovie on my Mac 2012-I used to have Adobe Premiere (by “used” I mean 10 years ago!). Once it went cloud based I couldn’t really justify the cost and besides I didn’t understand the tech bits so have stayed with free iMovie. It does most of what I want and can cope with. I have saved these instructions for when I finally take the plunge (will that ever happen) and upgrade. Again thank you for sharing your knowledge-so typical of this Forum.

Thank you very much for for sharing your method, I will test it soon.
And ... happy new year
Thierry

I think I know the answer, but what is the advantage of doing this as opposed to editing the videos to 4x in post-edit? (Please explain so I don't have to do the math myself, lol)

Linda and Thierry - thanks! If you try and something doesn't go well, hit me up! I wanna give back to the community that has helped me so much thru the years.
Twickers - I think iMovie is great. It's so direct, simple, and to-the-point. Sometimes we need to get something done quickly...and iMovie is great for that. You can even do "basic" color correction and other post production in it. I'd say iMovie will do well for most all of the drone community. Learning something as flexible and powerful as Davinci Resolve, Adobe Premier Pro or Final Cut Pro takes some dedication. I watched a lot of youtube videos...and nearly gave up because it seemed too complicated, but I did not. Also, trying so many things (and 99% of them were terrible) helped me cut my teeth. I do feel you in thinking it's overwhelming or very daunting to learn the modern editing softwares.

Jerry - That is a GREAT question. There are a lot of people whom wondered if just speeding up 4x from the original speed is all you must do. At first, I also wondered if that's all it is. Nowadays, I can always tell when someone just sped up their video and say it's hyperlapse. It's not. It really just appears everything in the video was all sped up equally. However, look at the speed the Spark appears to be flying in my video. Looks to be around 25-30 miles per hour (or 50 kilometers per hour). However, notice how FAST the clouds were whizzing by. That's not possible with the drone flying as slow as it was. Also, watch again, and you will notice some cars FLYING down the road...they would appear to be speeding down the road at 200 miles per hour! So, hyperlapse makes my drone appear to be flying somewhat fast....but the clouds appear to be moving extremely fast. If people were walking around in my video, they'd look like ants frantically streaking around. I like to think of it as....you are moving normal looking speed but everything else is moving 100+ times faster than normal.

One more thing: In my example (the steps above)... you are flying 2.2 mph and taking one photo every 2 seconds. When you are putting all the pictures together to make them 24 frames per second video... you have to remember that 1 second is 24 pictures. The video above is 14 seconds...so, 14 x 24 = 336 pictures. My Spark started taking pictures with the battery at 96%....I literally sat there and drank my coffee and watched. I let it get down to 20% remaining before I stop the flying and initiated return to home. The Spark was in the air for 11 minutes and 44 seconds of flight to get 336 pictures. Basically, since the Spark doesn't have very good battery life (the only shortcoming, imho), it took ALL of the battery to take enough pictures to make 14 seconds of video.

I have far more capable (on paper, at least) drones... but the fun factor isn't going on with those drones compared to Spark. This forum is a perfect example of how I think of Spark pilots: grass roots, friendly, and so encouraging.

Thank you shuggins for sharing your cool video and details on making the hyperlapse. Sparky and I now have some new missions to try out! Nice to see pilots like yourself keeping the Spark spirit alive and well, wishing you all the best in 2022!

Check rainbow app, It have hyperlapse for Sparks too,no postproduction but made in the app and ready to share.
You can download rainbow and user It free for 5 times

Last edited:
Reactions: shuggins
Brian, thanks! I wanna do more with the Spark. I recently got the portable Spark charger (with it's own case) that's the coolest accessory I've ever gotten.

awacsnl, I've never heard of the Rainbow app until now. Looks interesting. Need to give it a whirl.

RotorWash, thank you. I clicked on your SkyPixel link (in your signature). Really, really nice pictures. Also, I like your style on your videos. Short scenes (2-3 seconds) that flow so nicely. I could really apply your technique to my videos. I struggle sometimes finding the right "cadence" in my videos. Some clips are too long, some too short. Some are too "twitchy" (the action is super fast), some really drag. I looked and noticed some of your video were done on a P4 (I have one as well), but the Spark videos look really good as well.

RotorWash, thank you. I clicked on your SkyPixel link (in your signature). Really, really nice pictures. Also, I like your style on your videos. Short scenes (2-3 seconds) that flow so nicely. I could really apply your technique to my videos. I struggle sometimes finding the right "cadence" in my videos. Some clips are too long, some too short. Some are too "twitchy" (the action is super fast), some really drag. I looked and noticed some of your video were done on a P4 (I have one as well), but the Spark videos look really good as well.
I appreciate your kind words shuggins, thanks! With some exceptions, I've found that a good rule of thumb for drone video editing is, cut till you cry and then cut some more. :) Synching a nice beat also helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers