Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

spark in snow -5

terryhs

Join
Dec 11, 2017
Took the spark out this morning I thought a up and down to get some footage of snow. within 1min 34 battery had dropped to 78%. landed straight back in house. be careful in cold weather it might drop like s stone.
Screenshot_20171211-113139.png

Is that -5 C or -5 F?

While I've not flown my Spark in cold temps yet. I've flown my Phantom 4 in temps as low as 19F/-7C. Definitely read up on flying in very cold temps before doing so. I definitely don't fly as far or as long...

Thanks for sharing. I will be flying to saariselka in 3 weeks.... Recording at -30°...let's see how it feels on the small spark

Reactions: Sparky786
video grab dji spark

Attachments

• Frame-11-12-2017-09-11-51.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 183
Thanks for sharing. I will be flying to saariselka in 3 weeks.... Recording at -30°...let's see how it feels on the small spark
Please keep us up to date how your spark did in the -30°. I assume nothing will happen except the battery will be drained fast.

Reactions: xveral
Cold weather will always reduce battery runtime. (NiCd batteries are really bad that way) I just got up and it's -14F with a -35F wind chill, highs will be in the single digits today. Not the best weather for flying! Also well below the recommended operating temperature range for the Spark, so beware.

If you insist on flying in this icebox, make sure your spark is warm before taking off. Don't store it outside and then expect to get it out and fly. Always store it inside where it's warm. Spark will not allow you to fly with a cold battery, and will sit there using battery power to warm up the battery to a reasonable temperature before allowing you to take off. (you'll get a warning message telling you it is warming up the battery and you have to wait) Temperature shouldn't affect GPS accuracy, but may affect compass and accelerometer performance. Cold also gums up lubricants, so it wouldn't surprise me if the camera gimbal wasn't running as smoothly either.

Cold weather will always reduce battery runtime. (NiCd batteries are really bad that way) I just got up and it's -14F with a -35F wind chill, highs will be in the single digits today. Not the best weather for flying! Also well below the recommended operating temperature range for the Spark, so beware.

If you insist on flying in this icebox, make sure your spark is warm before taking off. Don't store it outside and then expect to get it out and fly. Always store it inside where it's warm. Spark will not allow you to fly with a cold battery, and will sit there using battery power to warm up the battery to a reasonable temperature before allowing you to take off. (you'll get a warning message telling you it is warming up the battery and you have to wait) Temperature shouldn't affect GPS accuracy, but may affect compass and accelerometer performance. Cold also gums up lubricants, so it wouldn't surprise me if the camera gimbal wasn't running as smoothly either.
My cut off is 15 degres f, I flew when it was negative 15 and the video feed was glitchy.The battery was draining constantly. But at 15 degrees i seem to have no issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme