Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark losing control - compass error - in the middle of flight?

walnawk

Join
Jun 13, 2017
I have been a Phantom P3, P4, and Mavic pro pilot. I have flew my spark at least 60 times and it has proven to be SO reliable especially when it comes to RTH mode. BUT in the last two times, I was lucky to even manually guide my Spark back. Can someone point out what I can do to remedy my situation, or is my Spark toasted?

I have GPS locked for GO FLY, everything seemed to be safe. Things start to happen when it is about 100 ft up directly above me. First screen showed red saying "compass error", and it will switch between GPS lock and "compass error". While remain within direct line of sight, as soon as I hit RTH, the Spark started to fly away from home point as well as lowering it its altitude. So I immediately killed RTH and manually guided my bird back. WHEWWWW......!!! This is the second time in a row already. It was not a Magnetic/Electrical interference either because I tested all my other drones (P3, P4, Mavic Pro) at this particular place, and there were no interference.

Has this ever happened to anyone? What is the remedy? Thank you.

Last edited:
"Compass Error" means the data from your IMU and magnetic compass are in disagreement. The flight controller does not know which is right, so it goes into ATTI mode. The usual culprits cited are electrical or magnetic interference. Check your flight logs, see if it offers more clues.

I am trying to Calibrate IMU right now, it forever says "Calibrating" on the "ACC1" and "GYRO1"? It doesn't show any pics/instructions to sit the spark in various ways for the IMU to be calibrated.

I am trying to Calibrate IMU right now, it forever says "Calibrating" on the "ACC1" and "GYRO1"? It doesn't show any pics/instructions to sit the spark in various ways for the IMU to be calibrated.

Sounds like you need to reload the firmware through the DJI Assistant 2

My spark was acting up and doing the same thing . Sometimes it would just drop out of gps and go into atti
I used my C-fixer on it and it has worked good since then . Fluke? Who knows but I have done 20 or 30 flights since then and it has not lost gps once .

Reactions: pmshop
Not sure what the failure you are describing is so, two links:
First, a video tutorial on IMU calibration, second a link to a forum item I read about an IMU getting "Stuck".

Hope it helps

Forum topic: DJI Spark IMU Calibration Stuck

Reactions: Surfnut
My spark was acting up and doing the same thing . Sometimes it would just drop out of gps and go into atti
I used my C-fixer on it and it has worked good since then . Fluke? Who knows but I have done 20 or 30 flights since then and it has not lost gps once .
Is there any other cheap way to de-gauss the compass. C-fixer costs $75...I want to spare that if I can :)

I ran into the same issue last week; compass error and ATTI mode mid-flight. Not sure what sort of magnetic interference it can experience 100ft in the air over mostly acres and acres of farmland ... it was quite gusty that day; the IMU got a good workout.

After an initial panic attack (the Spark was out of LOS, on the other side of a line of trees), I was able to reorient it so I could see some familiar landmarks and I wrestled it home.

I calibrated the compass and have since flown it a couple of times without issue.

Had this happen to me more than once,causing squeaky bum time. Last time I almost lost it,
Began accelerating very quickly and behind trees but the GPS kicked back in so I hit rth and that saved the day.
Made me think about selling it and sticking to my mavic pro

See You Tube. DJI has a Calibrate Spark IMU video there which clearly explains how to do this.

I had this happen to me recently in Scotland. Recalibration made no difference and all occasions were in different locations. Now back home and all fine again. Odd.

I tested my spark to see what it does when there is compass error encountered. You get the usual compass error, calibrate compass or move AC message. I was surprised to see this message though. I have never calibrated compass on my spark, P4P, and M2Z.

4DCA8E0A-652A-4691-B45F-843DEB99F8D7.jpeg

Experienced same problem today. Brought back under my own control but Spark was very erratic. Became unstable so went for a grab landing by hand as it came in close enough..... tilted just as I grabbed it. At Emergency Care now. Those rotors are lethal

Attachments

• 80900CD7-5E3C-4940-9BD2-E9C9F225A4A7.jpeg
    80900CD7-5E3C-4940-9BD2-E9C9F225A4A7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Experienced same problem today. Brought back under my own control but Spark was very erratic. Became unstable so went for a grab landing by hand as it came in close enough..... tilted just as I grabbed it. At Emergency Care now. Those rotors are lethal

Ouch.

Ouch! Have tried the hand grab couple of times, but I must say it makes me nervous.

Reactions: Onelight74

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmirOmerov