Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark lost and found

Dhw688

Join
Mar 12, 2018
Loc
Australia
What a scary and eventful day.

I wasn't impressed with the latest DJI GO App, so I've downloaded the MOD version to an old phone. Took the Spark out for a first test flight today. My Son was flying it.

The weather was clear, but strong wind. We were at a park on the fringe of a residential area that is next to a large National Park. The Spark flew admirably through the parkland and in strong wind. It went out to 1.2KM (with the wind) using OTG. The image coming back was crispy clear. The drone than lost connection and the battery was 40% full. It turned around and flew back. I put it on Sports modes so it could fly back quicker, but at around 10% battery, it started to land. In hindsight, it took alot more battery flying back, because it was flying against the wind (doh!). I took over the control and tried to fly higher, but the drone at this stage was buffetted by strong wind... Then, all the telemetry showed N/A.

Oooooouuuuchhhh!!!! My First lost drone and its all my fault!

I used the 'Find my drone' feature and drove out to where it indicated the drone was. It seems to be near some residential house... Backyard or on the roof top?

We went to the first house and the man was kind enough to let us in to his backyard, we looked around and noticed from the GPS, it could be next door. We knocked on the next house and the elderly gentlemen was again kind enough to let us in. We looked at the GPS and it showed we were right at the exact spot where the drone should be. By now its been 30 mins since we lost the drone and we were very close. Doesn't help, when my drone had a dark coloured decal on it.

I looked carefully around and .... FOUND IT! Laying on a low thorny bush. So, when it fell from the sky 18 meters high and 216 meters from home point, the Spark was cushioned by this thorny bush.

What luck and thanks to both very friendly and understanding gentlemen who allowed us to visit their backyard to retrieve the drone!. We went home right afterwards and counted our good luck.

Attachments

• 20180929_151236.jpg
    20180929_151236.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
A Forum member, yeoldesparky, lost his and spent a few days looking in the brush and found it when the sun glistened off of the gold contacts of the battery (landed upside down).

Here's the picture he posted and I circled the Spark.

September 23, 2018 40024 AM EDT.jpg

Fantastic and what great luck again!

This was my first time (and I hope my last).

However, I am amazed, how accurate the GPS location was indicating where my lost drone was in the 'Find my drone' option. Literally, the drone was only 1 meter away from the exact spot shown. I couldn't see it at first, but when I looked harder, it was literally right in front of me, hidden by the bush.

Amazing!

I lost my spark last month when doing a distance run over a very large creek. I flew over 15K ft away, but didn't realize my battery display froze at 51% (hit RTH) and then took over in sport mode coming back. In hind site I should have gone to the right or left of the water and landed somewhere on dry ground, but was unfamiliar with the area and never really knew how the "Find my Drone" would work (so in a panic I tried to make it all the way home). The last 75 seconds and nearly home I was at 0% battery and was decreasing my height down to 60ft. Made it back to within 450 ft of where I was at the home point (but then the battery gave out). Turns out there was one very small island (maybe 50ft in diameter) between me and the drone and as fate had it, that's exactly where the drone lost power. It took me 5 days and two thunder storms later to finally borrow a kyak and hip waders to paddle out to the island to look for the drone using the DJI Go 4 "Find my Drone" app to guide me. The island was very swampy and completely overgrown with large reeds, weeds and small trees that were all a good 5ft taller than me and so thick I could barely see my hand in front of my face. The find my drone app took me to the exact spot it last had power and as I stood just ahead of that spot on the island, I looked down and about 2ft from where I was standing I saw the gamble and one arm and propeller with the rest of the drone submerged in muddy water. I brought it back, cleaned the exterior as best I could, put it in a bag of rice for 3 days and another day sitting on a dehumidifier, put a fresh battery in and tried turning it on. First try - nothing (shut back off for 20 sec) - second try the fan clicked on but nothing else (shut back off for 20 sec) - 3rd try the fan started, the lights lit and the start up sound came on ---- it's ALIVE!!! Several weeks later, it seems to be back working 100%. I'm amazed at the toughness of this little drone and very impressed with the "Find my Drone" in the DJI Go 4 app. Never would have found the drone without that app - it truely was like a needle in a haystack.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
Reactions: Dhw688
Another amazing incident. Spark working again after being buffeted by storm and partially submerged.

Anyone else who has lost and then found the spark stories, please share your experiences here.

Again, that 'find my done' function is amazing.

I lost my spark last month when doing a distance run over a very large creek. I flew over 15K ft away, but didn't realize my battery display froze at 51% (hit RTH) and then took over in sport mode coming back. In hind site I should have gone to the right or left of the water and landed somewhere on dry ground, but was unfamiliar with the area and never really knew how the "Find my Drone" would work (so in a panic I tried to make it all the way home). The last 75 seconds and nearly home I was at 0% battery and was decreasing my height down to 60ft. Made it back to within 450 ft of where I was at the home point (but then the battery gave out). Turns out there was one very small island (maybe 50ft in diameter) between me and the drone and as fate had it, that's exactly where the drone lost power. It took me 5 days and two thunder storms later to finally borrow a kyak and hip waders to paddle out to the island to look for the drone using the DJI Go 4 "Find my Drone" app to guide me. The island was very swampy and completely overgrown with large reeds, weeds and small trees that were all a good 5ft taller than me and so thick I could barely see my hand in front of my face. The find my drone app took me to the exact spot it last had power and as I stood just ahead of that spot on the island, I looked down and about 2ft from where I was standing I saw the gamble and one arm and propeller with the rest of the drone submerged in muddy water. I brought it back, cleaned the exterior as best I could, put it in a bag of rice for 3 days and another day sitting on a dehumidifier, put a fresh battery in and tried turning it on. First try - nothing (shut back off for 20 sec) - second try the fan clicked on but nothing else (shut back off for 20 sec) - 3rd try the fan started, the lights lit and the start up sound came on ---- it's ALIVE!!! Several weeks later, it seems to be back working 100%. I'm amazed at the toughness of this little drone and very impressed with the "Find my Drone" in the DJI Go 4 app. Never would have found the drone without that app - it truely was like a needle in a haystack.
Wow, such a great luck. I would rinse it in demineralized water before drying it if I were you. But now it's already dry and working, better not to risk another water...

Wow, such a great luck. I would rinse it in demineralized water before drying it if I were you. But now it's already dry and working, better not to risk another water...
Thanks - didn't even think to research that, but agree probably dont want to risk getting wet again. I was debating taking the cover off and cleaning what I could get to, but I'm not great with mechanical stuff so opted to just try the rice.

I'm actually new to this drone stuff, but I suggest getting trackers, I know the app can help track lost drones but a tracker could be really useful as well.

I'm actually new to this drone stuff, but I suggest getting trackers, I know the app can help track lost drones but a tracker could be really useful as well.
I suppose it couldn't hurt - never researched them. What would be the advantage -maybe the fact that it could be actively transmitting location even when drone is out of battery and unable to transmit? How big are they and do they affect flight time on a small drone like the spark?

It wouldn't hurt. Some are quiet tiny. However, some users a SIM card, so you'll need to pay a monthly fee. But, I guess that would be the ultimate protection against losing the spark.

It occurred to me the other day and after reading this, that the high intensity strobe lights would make finding the drone easier after loss in trees and brush. Especiall the Spark due its small size. I was able to find a neighbors P4 after it was lost over swamp and woods by using the Fight record to locate the last known point 2300 ft away. After being unable to find it with four people, we found it upside down hanging forty yards in the air from a tree branch. Once we found bits of plastic on the ground we started searching the trees for over half an hour before spotting it. The below mentioned strobe would halve made spotting it a cinch.
STROBON Cree® LED Strobe Lights

I just purchased the strobes. Won't use them for every flight - mostly for night flights, and man do they work well. I flew 2 miles away in my first test last night and I could very clearly and easily see them from that distance. I attached them to landing gear since I didn't want to mess too much with the aesthetics of the Spark itself and also I used double side tape to hold them more securely rather than the Velcro, as these aren't supper cheap and didn't want to lose them (see attached pic).

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Reactions: Dhw688
I just purchased the strobes. Won't use them for every flight - mostly for night flights, and man do they work well. I flew 2 miles away in my first test last night and I could very clearly and easily see them from that distance. I attached them to landing gear since I didn't want to mess too much with the aesthetics of the Spark itself and also I used double side tape to hold them more securely rather than the Velcro, as these aren't supper cheap and didn't want to lose them (see attached pic).

I'm glad to hear that you had good results with them, especially the one on the front bottom.

I have two myself and have them mounted on the prop guards.

I had landing gear similar to yours (PolarPro) and I mounted one on the bottom in the center but my first flight was almost the last due to the strobe being next to the downward camera and blinding the Spark.

The silly thing couldn't see the ground via VPS and was bouncing like a pogo stick in the air without me touching the controls.

I only went about 15' high and managed a controlled hard landing after 30 seconds of flight.
I haven't had any problems since I moved them.

I just added velcro to bottom of my batteries between the four contacts and the sensors to mount the strobe. Bad idea?

The PolarPro landing gear I used put the strobe in front of the contacts, closer to the VPS, which didn't work for me.

But yours will be a tad bit further and may not be effected.

Something that could be done is to place a small shade of sorts ( tape, cardboard, etc.) to block the light from flashing towards the VPS.

Depending on the lighting condition of the day, it may not be effected.

It was overcast the day of my flight and a sunny day may be okay?

Good luck.:)

Here is a picture of the Spark with the PolarPro landing gear. The strobe was in the middle.

20180311_081247.jpg

I used this product to attach the strobes.
It's better than Velcro.

20180706_162916.jpg

I attached to my landing gear with transparet double sided indoor outdoor tape (very thin and very strong). It will be on there permanently - but my landing gear was only like $8 or $9 - where the polar pro was Ike $25 or $30, so no big deal if when the batteries don't charge on the strobes any longer to just get new landing gear and new strobes. That is a question I had which is how many charges will these strobes take before the battery wears out?

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Here is a picture of the Spark with the PolarPro landing gear. The strobe was in the middle.

View attachment 7089

I used this product to attach the strobes.
It's better than Velcro.

View attachment 7090
Thanks for the description, but I'm confused. Where is the strobe in the first picture?? And what is that on top of the Spark?
I did just try the strobe between the four contacts and the VPS receivers without issues during daylight hours in short flight. Palm launched it since it didn't sit flat with the strobe on.

Oops, wrong picture.

20181003_040508.jpg

In my experience, this was not a good location for me.

The thing on the top is the Loc8tor tracker.

I have the Loc8tor on my Spark but haven't had to use it on a real rescue mission (yet).

The Loc8tor uses a radio frequency other than Bluetooth with a range of 400 feet LOS.

My Copilot and I played hide and seek with it in the backyard and alley. It seems to work ok. It has it's own handheld tracker with visual and audio cues to find it.

You can have up to 4 trackers with the remote.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav