Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark over water

i have heard and read that a MP has a problem over water , will the Spark have the same problems ?

They’ll all fly over any surface, but over water you don’t want to rely upon the optical altitude sensing. In particular the “detect ground before impact” sensing ability

So fly a bit higher or LOS so you know you’re not going for a swim

Reactions: FollyFly
It's only a problem if the water's surface is very calm. The reflectivity and lack of surface pattern confuse the optical ground sensors. This causes the drone to think there's free space below it despite the altitude sensor saying otherwise.

I've been flying low over can water and had the Spark descend dangerously close while the left joystick was untouched. Scary stuff

It's only a problem if the water's surface is very calm. The reflectivity and lack of surface pattern confuse the optical ground sensors. This causes the drone to think there's free space below it despite the altitude sensor saying otherwise.

I've been flying low over can water and had the Spark descend dangerously close while the left joystick was untouched. Scary stuff
that is what i heard and understood about flying over water . i don't plan on flying over water any time soon .
thank you

Flying over water is absolutely no problem for DJI drones. I’ve flown several of mine over lakes and oceans. However, I wouldn’t advise flying them less than a foot over the surface.

Reactions: AirCam

I just learned that for the first time the other day after flying the Spark for Months... very close call!!! :-/ I would've crashed into the water if I didn't have my eyes on it!

If you look at the videos posted here you will see many of us fly over lakes, creeks, even the ocean. I show 1 video where I got uncomfortably low over a pond. You need to be extra careful because our sparks can’t swim

Also try be a bit careful with bridges that are low and small. You lose GPS lock there and things can turn ugly fast.

Also try be a bit careful with bridges that are low and small. You lose GPS lock there and things can turn ugly fast.
I read, somewhere, that flying under a bridge and losing GPS, might trigger RTH, and the drone would try to rise to the RTH height crashing into the bridge

I had a scary moment with my Spark the other day. It was mostly my fault (entirely ). I’d taken off near a river. I’d given the GPS plenty of time to lock on. It had given me the voice confirmation that the home point had been updated, and I flew it up to a vantage point to watch a railway station to get a shot of a train running in. The battery was getting low, and I stayed up longer than I should because I wasn’t out of line of sight- I was pretty much directly up above. The battery low RTH kicked in and the drone came in to land. However it seemed to desperately want to land in the river. I had a full-on panic moment as at first it simply refused to respond to the controller. With 2% battery left, I managed to get it to finally steer away from the water. I’m glad I was wearing my brown trousers that day.

I fly over the ocean all the time. If it's not over the ocean, it's over the lake by my place and the intercoastal. I fly very very low sometimes to capture some shots and have never had any issues. Perhaps it's my preparation prior to any take off. But, my point is, the spark handles high winds over the ocean like a champ but always maintain a safe altitude if you feel uncomfortable. The higher altitude gives you a better chance to control the spark if anything were to go wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme