Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark regularly disconnects from RC

Gordyjackson

Join
Dec 18, 2019
Morning all, I’ve had this spark for about 3 months now and I’m becoming paranoid to fly it!
Nearly every time I fly, about two minutes in it disconnects from the RC giving a red light on the controller. As you can imagine I’ve had a few brown trouser moments with this as once it was very close to me over a river.
Ive done the hack into FCC mode thinking that would help but it did it again yesterday. After about 30 seconds it re connects again.
I’ve done all the firmware again, compass, IMU but it seems to be temperamental but happens each and every time I fly.
does anyone have any tips or maybe I have got a damaged drone????

mid love to hear from you if you have any ideas.

best Regards

Do you use OTG cable with your RC?
Hi there, I stopped using the OTG cable as I thought that was the problem, I just use the WIFI on the iPhone. Its never disconnected from the phone, the issue is between the controller and the drone itself. Any thoughts?

Consider that the Spark communicates with the RC via WiFi and your phone is connecting with your RC also via WiFi. If you're in an area with WiFi congestion, there is opportunity for interference. Most experience better, more reliable results with OTG. It's also important to ensure you keep the RC antennae properly pointed at the drone throughout the flight, especially as it gets farther away. You might also check the Go 4 app after connecting between the drone and RC to see what kind of signal quality you have on whatever frequency you're using (2.4 or 5.8GHz). Does the disconnect seem to be distance related?

There are a lot of posts in these forums on the subject of drone-to-RC disconnects with varying solutions. Use the Search function to look for posts on "Spark disconnects from RC" and see if any of the solutions works for you. Good luck!

I'm not as experienced in deciphering AirData info as others here and I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but there are a lot of "yaw error" reports throughout the flight. Yeah, you're not getting much distance (137 ft.) before disconnect. Maybe some of our more knowledgeable brethren can give a more informed opinion.

Looking at the AirData, I see there was a battery low temperature warning at startup and again at 51 sec. into the flight. There is an indication that Cell #3 of the battery was showing a deviation from the other two cells. Apparently the drone was still able to receive commands during the Data Loss periods evidenced by mode changes to AutoLanding at 48s and Go Home at 1m 43s when the Yaw Errors began along with Manual Exposure mode and Metering Disabled. At 1m 50s it reported the first GPS signal too weak and Home Point not updated. I wish I knew more about the Data Loss incidents because, even though the first report says it lasted for 22.5s and the second 24s, the subsequent event times do not show time lapses as I would have expected. Maybe the drone filled-in the data after it reconnected, but I don't know what to make of it . Let's hope we can get some better analysis soon.

Last edited:
Cheers chap, I'm wondering if I've ended up with a crashed and repaired drone. I will try again with the cable but maybe it's just a troublesome drone?

I'm not as experienced in deciphering AirData info as others here and I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but there are a lot of "yaw error" reports throughout the flight. Yeah, you're not getting much distance (137 ft.) before disconnect. Maybe some of our more knowledgeable brethren can give a more informed opinion.

Looking at the AirData, I see there was a battery low temperature warning at startup and again at 51 sec. into the flight. There is an indication that Cell #3 of the battery was showing a deviation from the other two cells. Apparently the drone was still able to receive commands during the Data Loss periods evidenced by mode changes to AutoLanding at 48s and Go Home at 1m 43s when the Yaw Errors began along with Manual Exposure mode and Metering Disabled. At 1m 50s it reported the first GPS signal too weak and Home Point not updated. I wish I knew more about the Data Loss incidents because, even though the first report says it lasted for 22.5s and the second 24s, the subsequent event times do not show time lapses as I would have expected. Maybe the drone filled-in the data after it reconnected, but I don't know what to make of it . Let's hope we can get some better analysis soon.
I think you are doing well with disseminating information from AirData. Even though they are not relevant to the OP they are good points.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Ive uploaded everything to Airdate now so if this means anything to you then I'd love to hear what you make of it?

If you go to the Signal Map tab under Sensors you will find that the signal strength was very poor.
It usually happens when you are flying in a high interference area. Have you tried flying in a different location? Not ruling out the possibility of a faulty unit though. You surely have a bad RC or AC if you get such poor signal anywhere you fly.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 7
Try using a custom selected channel under the signal icon in settings.
I learned it is better to choose the WiFi channel rather rely on AUTO selection.
Switch to manual and select a channel with no red or some green (better) on it.
Once selected, it will ask you to restart the WiFi by tapping OK
That's it!

Reactions: chascoadmin
Consider that the Spark communicates with the RC via WiFi and your phone is connecting with your RC also via WiFi. If you're in an area with WiFi congestion, there is opportunity for interference. Most experience better, more reliable results with OTG. It's also important to ensure you keep the RC antennae properly pointed at the drone throughout the flight, especially as it gets farther away. You might also check the Go 4 app after connecting between the drone and RC to see what kind of signal quality you have on whatever frequency you're using (2.4 or 5.8GHz). Does the disconnect seem to be distance related?

There are a lot of posts in these forums on the subject of drone-to-RC disconnects with varying solutions. Use the Search function to look for posts on "Spark disconnects from RC" and see if any of the solutions works for you. Good luck!
[/QUOTE
Hi folks,I see all kinds of responses to the disconnected communication issues. Here is one to think about.
I'm 3' from the spark flying it around the house inside and out, at the park and school yard. Connection issues still exist, with and with out my phone, tablet, cables or not. 3 feet 15 seconds no react to the RC. RC or drone never been dropped, spark has hit the wall and fallen to the carpeted floor, hit bushes landed on the grass nothing to cause any damage except for prop dings even with the guards installed.
3 sometimes 4 feet away. Now open for ideas as to why spark has connection issues?

Hi folks,I see all kinds of responses to the disconnected communication issues. Here is one to think about.
I'm 3' from the spark flying it around the house inside and out, at the park and school yard. Connection issues still exist, with and with out my phone, tablet, cables or not. 3 feet 15 seconds no react to the RC. RC or drone never been dropped, spark has hit the wall and fallen to the carpeted floor, hit bushes landed on the grass nothing to cause any damage except for prop dings even with the guards installed.
3 sometimes 4 feet away. Now open for ideas as to why spark has connection issues?

If my Spark flew that bad, I would have service performed to fix the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef