Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark + Tablet?

nedcampbell

Join
Aug 18, 2018
I'm wanting to increase my screen view size from my iPhone 8 and have a tablet dedicated to just my drone set up as I sometimes need to use my phone when I'm flying.
Would appreciate any pics and info on what others are doing and how it works for them. Being able to view on a sunny day is one of my main considerations as well as cost. Thanks.

I'm wanting to increase my screen view size from my iPhone 8 and have a tablet dedicated to just my drone set up as I sometimes need to use my phone when I'm flying.
Would appreciate any pics and info on what others are doing and how it works for them. Being able to view on a sunny day is one of my main considerations as well as cost. Thanks.
I think there are quite a few of us that have the same question.

Here’s some information that might help.
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

I just ordered an iPad Pro, but I canceled the order, some nice sales going on this weekend. I’m going to go buy a 2018 32gb iPad today. The money I’m saving over the Pro, I’ll be able to buy a big external storage drive. Since I’m dedicating the iPad to just go4, I don’t really need the iPad Pro.

Last edited:
I had an iPad Air before I got the spark. Love the big screen, doesn’t fit in the RC. I take a camping stool with me, & sit with the iPad on my lap, RC in my hand, fly the Spark in front of me.

At one point I was flying with my iPad 2017, especially when 360s were only available using Hangar. I got this cheap contraption to clip on the iPad to the remote resting on my neck. Worked ok but the picture, being bigger, was a lot more pixelated...in the end I went back to my 5.5" Android phone for the sake of convenience.

I had an iPad Air before I got the spark. Love the big screen, doesn’t fit in the RC. I take a camping stool with me, & sit with the iPad on my lap, RC in my hand, fly the Spark in front of me.
You can purchase a tablet mount for the controller such as a mavmount or other less expensive brands.
I put my own together, with a few simple components. The one in the picture is for my iPhone 7 Plus, makes it easier to access all the buttons on my phone. I purchased a larger clamp for a tablet and it just screws on the ball mount. I also made a bigger sun shield from kydex for a tablet.88156928-14A0-4FFB-AF85-DCEF64516D43.jpeg

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab4, in 8" and 10" that I use for my Spark and P3S. I tend to use the 10" version with my P3S, mostly due to the heft of a tablet that size fixed to the Spark controller (even an 8" is pretty huge compared to a phone). Both run on Android Marshmallow, and the only issue I've had on either is having to restart GO/GO4 a time or two to get rid of any video lag (which sometimes runs into several seconds on either uav). Once things are up and running smooth, they work great throughout the flight.

I bought both of the tablets used at a local EZ Pawn... they literally had a couple hundred in stock. Everything from iPads to really cheap (ie: crappy and won't work with either GO app). I gave a $100 for the 10", and about $80 for the 8". If you shop there, get their addon return policy for a few bucks more... def worth it if there are issues. Certainly saved me some money vs pulling the trigger on something new, that may or may not work with the apps to start with.

Though I have the bigger tablets available, I still make most of my Spark flights with a Galaxy Amp Prime. Again, that's due to the heft and added hassle to setup the mount and such.

Sunscreen wise, I fabricated one for the 8" tablet out of a harbor freight pneumatic nail gun box that wraps around the sides. I use flip covers on both tablets and left simple tabs hanging off the sun screen that tuck in between the tablet and cover back (2 on the back, 1 on each side panel). It works great, and some black paint made it look pretty decent!

Being able to view on a sunny day is one of my main considerations as well as cost. Thanks.

It's not cheap but for those that have purchased one, there's no going back to anything, and that's the Crystal Sky monitor from DJI.

I use an iPad mini4 WiFi only with a sun hood on sunny days.

Oh btw Ned, I liked your water walk video on the canal.

I was in Indy once and did a Segway tour around the canal.

Yeah you look kind of funny riding one but if you never have, they are pretty cool to experience.

You can purchase a tablet mount for the controller such as a mavmount or other less expensive brands.
I put my own together, with a few simple components. The one in the picture is for my iPhone 7 Plus, makes it easier to access all the buttons on my phone. I purchased a larger clamp for a tablet and it just screws on the ball mount. I also made a bigger sun shield from kydex for a tablet.View attachment 6635
I have looked at tablet mounts, I thought the weight of a sturdy mount with an iPad hanging off my RC would be awkward & unbalanced when trying to select an option from the screen while holding the whole contraption with only my left hand. Plus I have a good excuse to sit & relax. : )

Reactions: TRuav
I have looked at tablet mounts, I thought the weight of a sturdy mount with an iPad hanging off my RC would be awkward & unbalanced when trying to select an option from the screen while holding the whole contraption with only my left hand. Plus I have a good excuse to sit & relax. : )
It’s really not that bad. I have a couple of years of experience with my much heavier 3DR Solo controller and big android tablet and I can comfortably balance it with one hand without a lanyard, but I generally use a lanyard to take the weight and control the balance really easily with one hand.

The Spark controller and a tablet should be nothing.

Of course I see the sitting part. :)0D16ACA8-ECAB-465B-BABC-FA63A1570893.jpeg

DJI works best with Apple products so I went with iPad. They are more expensive but brightest screen and fastest processor. Even if you find a cheap Android tablet that works you risk incompatibility with every upgrade of the app. And the iPad has many other uses -there's really no reason for it to be only dedicated to just the DJI Go app.

I made my own folding sun hood from paper board from craft store and black duct tape. Makes a huge difference with hardly any glare.

This particular holder mounts the iPad to remote control with perfect balance. And hands are free for Palm launch/landing if you add a lanyard. Got mine on Amazon.

RC mount for iPhone/iPad
https://amzn.to/2ukAH0M

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab4, in 8" and 10" that I use for my Spark and P3S. I tend to use the 10" version with my P3S, mostly due to the heft of a tablet that size fixed to the Spark controller (even an 8" is pretty huge compared to a phone). Both run on Android Marshmallow, and the only issue I've had on either is having to restart GO/GO4 a time or two to get rid of any video lag (which sometimes runs into several seconds on either uav). Once things are up and running smooth, they work great throughout the flight.

I bought both of the tablets used at a local EZ Pawn... they literally had a couple hundred in stock. Everything from iPads to really cheap (ie: crappy and won't work with either GO app). I gave a $100 for the 10", and about $80 for the 8". If you shop there, get their addon return policy for a few bucks more... def worth it if there are issues. Certainly saved me some money vs pulling the trigger on something new, that may or may not work with the apps to start with.

Though I have the bigger tablets available, I still make most of my Spark flights with a Galaxy Amp Prime. Again, that's due to the heft and added hassle to setup the mount and such.

Sunscreen wise, I fabricated one for the 8" tablet out of a harbor freight pneumatic nail gun box that wraps around the sides. I use flip covers on both tablets and left simple tabs hanging off the sun screen that tuck in between the tablet and cover back (2 on the back, 1 on each side panel). It works great, and some black paint made it look pretty decent!
Funny. My tab4 8in never worked.
I even reset it to factory settings. Still no go. The app crashes when it usually goes from portrait to landscape

When I get convenience of a table or my Ram’s bed gate I always use 12” iPad Pro.
When on a go I got a dedicated iPhone 7+

I have a Samsung S9+ and though the screen is big I also bought an iPad Mini4 w/ 128gb. It was on sale at BestBuy for $299 so I bit and bought it. The larger screen makes a world of difference and the connection is flawless. I have a tablet attachment on the RC. On really sunny days I turn up the brightness to see the screen better as I don't have a hood. I dunno but Android has problems connecting to the Spark/Controller and it's not consistent.

I bought a lenovo tab 4 8 tablet to connect through otg with my Spark, however no connection is made. The tablet connects without a problem to my mavic pro by otg, so the tablet supports otg. I used the same otg cable to connect a samsung s8 by otg to my spark and also this works, so my spark otg cable is fine. By now I use the tablet for the mavic pro and my phone for the spark.

I have a Samsung S9+ and though the screen is big I also bought an iPad Mini4 w/ 128gb. It was on sale at BestBuy for $299 so I bit and bought it. The larger screen makes a world of difference and the connection is flawless. I have a tablet attachment on the RC. On really sunny days I turn up the brightness to see the screen better as I don't have a hood. I dunno but Android has problems connecting to the Spark/Controller and it's not consistent.

I now have the ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 9.7" (2048x1536), 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, 5MP Front / 8MP Rear Camera, Android 6.0, Tablet, Titanium Gray (Z500M-C1-GR) in concert with my Spark, and it is FLAWLESS....Absolutely perfect picture, no lag at all, and at 9.7 inches, super sized re pictures and video. 100% consistent with the RC. Must be the 4 GB of RAM. Just saying.

Reactions: Kanehi
10.5 ipad with sunhood on a mavmount.

Attachments

• 8AAFC347-677F-4340-AFBD-68D76C4BF932.jpeg
    8AAFC347-677F-4340-AFBD-68D76C4BF932.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
I put my own together, with a few simple components. The one in the picture is for my iPhone 7 Plus, makes it easier to access all the buttons on my phone. I purchased a larger clamp for a tablet and it just screws on the ball mount. I also made a bigger sun shield from kydex for a tablet.View attachment 6635
Where did you get the mount? It looks nice and sturdy? Is it spring loaded?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers