Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark to Mavic Air!

Andy Fleming

Join
Jan 15, 2018
I'm currently flying the Spark and was loving it with very little jealousy of people with the Mavic Pro, however....... with the Mavic Air released and the price point i am now filled with Drone envy for the Air!
Question is if i decided to purchase the Mavic Air will i need a separate remote or can i pair my Spark controller to it to save the need for 2 remotes? looking at the marketing info i cant see much of a difference between the 2 controllers?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Reactions: crumbsPenfold
I'm currently flying the Spark and was loving it with very little jealousy of people with the Mavic Pro, however....... with the Mavic Air released and the price point i am now filled with Drone envy for the Air!
Question is if i decided to purchase the Mavic Air will i need a separate remote or can i pair my Spark controller to it to save the need for 2 remotes? looking at the marketing info i cant see much of a difference between the 2 controllers?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance

historically tech companies don't miss an opportunity to sell you something new... ;)

Question is if i decided to purchase the Mavic Air will i need a separate remote or can i pair my Spark controller to it to save the need for 2 remotes?
The Spark remote will not work with the Air and even if it did work the Air is sold with a remote, thus you will have 2.

Reactions: mikep2323
I know the feeling. My Air is on the way and my Spark is on eBay. Spark is a great little drone but the Air really is the best of all worlds with the portability, extra camera quality and - most importantly for me - the 3-axis gimbal. If the Spark was 3-axis I'd have probably resisted the temptation but I've had too many shots ruined by yaw shake in the Spark.

I was tempted to wait as well, but my gamble is that the Mavic 2 will be bigger than the Air and mostly likely around the size of the existing Mavic Pro. That's too big folded for my needs and especially so when flying (i.e. tight spaces and drawing attention). If I could afford or justify keeping the Spark and dropping >£1,200 on a Mavic 2 then, yeah, problem solved. However, the Air provides the Spark's portability and most of the other benefits of the existing MP at a 'cost to change' of around £450.

I'll be 10/10 furious if the MP 2 is the same size as the Air with Ocusync and a 1" sensor. o_O

It is not a matter of if but when. The Mavic is due for an upgrade. I believe that has to be sometime this Spring. I fully expect a Phantom 5 for the Fall as well. All of this is just my opinion. Also, it was not surprising that another small drone was released as this is the trend. The Mavic was a huge success so smaller more powerful drones should be the focus. You could even consider the Mavic the DJI flagship small drone and given that status it will have to be a jaw dropper once it is released. The first priority has to be an upgraded camera that takes the Mavic to a new level. I'm looking forward to it and I will not be buying a Mavic Air.

I know the feeling. My Air is on the way and my Spark is on eBay. Spark is a great little drone but the Air really is the best of all worlds with the portability, extra camera quality and - most importantly for me - the 3-axis gimbal. If the Spark was 3-axis I'd have probably resisted the temptation but I've had too many shots ruined by yaw shake in the Spark.

If it had Occusync I would have been more tempted...I also found out by accident that like on the Spark the gimbal only correct for pitch in Sports mode :-(

It is not a matter of if but when. The Mavic is due for an upgrade. I believe that has to be sometime this Spring. I fully expect a Phantom 5 for the Fall as well. All of this is just my opinion. Also, it was not surprising that another small drone was released as this is the trend. The Mavic was a huge success so smaller more powerful drones should be the focus. You could even consider the Mavic the DJI flagship small drone and given that status it will have to be a jaw dropper once it is released. The first priority has to be an upgraded camera that takes the Mavic to a new level. I'm looking forward to it and I will not be buying a Mavic Air.
There is no doubt the mavic air isn't sweet.lol I just think if I get another video drone I'm waiting for the mavic 2. Been watching racing drones.;)

Even though the Spark and Air are both WiFi, according to the specs, the power output of the transmitters in both the AC and RC of the Air is double that of the Spark. Plus, the Air has an improved antenna design. All that is why the advertised range of the Air is farther than that of the Spark.
I ordered the Air back on the 23rd - waiting for it to be shipped.

Reactions: Kyle_Larson
Even though the Spark and Air are both WiFi, according to the specs, the power output of the transmitters in both the AC and RC of the Air is double that of the Spark. Plus, the Air has an improved antenna design. All that is why the advertised range of the Air is farther than that of the Spark.

Are you sure, got a link ? They were already using maximum allowed output for the Spark AFAIK. They do claim they improved range by putting the antennas in the legs but that wouldn't normally make a huge difference.

Are you sure, got a link ? They were already using maximum allowed output for the Spark AFAIK. They do claim they improved range by putting the antennas in the legs but that wouldn't normally make a huge difference.
DJI Engineer over on RC Groups states the following:

upload_2018-1-31_12-29-26.png

Isn't he more of a beta tester than an engineer ? Anyway there's no mention of "power output x2" !

Have you seen some of the reviews for the Mavic Air where they are testing the range? So far the majority of them go out to a little more than a mile before the signal craps out and the quad returns home. Over at Ready Set Drone he got 1.24 miles or 2000 meters and this is out in Texas. That's nowhere near the 2.5 miles that was claimed. Me personally I am not buying another wifi drone. I agree the Mavic air is a nice drone, but I'll wait for the Mavic Pro 2 and drop the extra cash on that. Here is the range test from Ready Set Drone.

That's nowhere near the 2.5 miles that was claimed.
I agree that the range is disappointing and personally I wouldn't even attempt to fly my Air 2 miles. Though it (Mavic Air) will suit my needs for motorcycle traveling and quick pics/videos. I am also own a MP.

Not to the spec, why read when you can watch a video? :D Rick at Drone Valley does his homework, doesn't give inaccurate information that I've ever seen.

Reactions: feds and Kris.
Have you seen some of the reviews for the Mavic Air where they are testing the range? So far the majority of them go out to a little more than a mile before the signal craps out and the quad returns home. Over at Ready Set Drone he got 1.24 miles or 2000 meters and this is out in Texas. That's nowhere near the 2.5 miles that was claimed. Me personally I am not buying another wifi drone. I agree the Mavic air is a nice drone, but I'll wait for the Mavic Pro 2 and drop the extra cash on that. Here is the range test from Ready Set Drone.

I bought it as a Spark replacement. Whatever the range ends up as should be good for me, I never fly beyond VLOS with any of my quads.

Waiting for a spark 2, for the same price. Lot of magics will be sold sold cheap. I am going to fly the spark till I wreck it or lose it. Hopefully to hope on the current market for cheap in the next year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex