Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark vs Phantom 3?

ernestoc33

Join
Jan 9, 2018
I know that these are two vastly different machines, that fit different needs. They have different hardware and can't be compared dollar to donuts obviously. I'm very limited on budget so that's why I'm only torn between these two.

Walmart had the P3 on sale for $399 so I purchased it. It ended up having a defective compass so I only flew it once before it had issues. I returned it and my local Walmart didn't have another one to give me. So I took the money and ordered a spark from them online. It will be here soon.

I guess what I'm saying is should I have gotten a replacement P3 or keep the spark when it gets here.
I didn't like the long setup time for the P3 and that it takes up so much room, it doesn't fit in any of my gear backs so I would need a new case just for it.

Edit P3 Standard

Last edited:
I have both, and they’re very different machines - as you mentioned.

Short answer, I haven’t used my P3 since I got my Spark. That said, I also have a Mavic, and that hasn’t had much use either. For me, it’s simply down to size. I don’t want to carry a ton of gear on what can be a three day hike or camping trip.

I’ve found I’ve downsized everything.... I sold my Canon 70D and got a Lumix G7. It’s just easier.

I don’t find the lack of 4K an issue. I don’t know many people with 4K displays. Most people view videos or photos online on a phone, tablet, or laptop, so the Spark camera is more than sufficient.

But, that’s just me. It really depends on the user and what/where/how they want to use the gear.

I guess what I'm saying is should I have gotten a replacement P3 or keep the spark when it gets here.
Are you referring to the P3S?

Other than the price, which other features of the drone are important to you? What exactly do you plan on doing with it?

Reactions: Sparkbart
Are you referring to the P3S?

Other than the price, which other features of the drone are important to you? What exactly do you plan on doing with it?

He's most likely talking about the PS3, Walmart is clearing old inventory for <$399

Msinger has a good point, if its the P3S, I wouldn't buy that one at this point. Its tech is very old by today's standard. A P3 Advanced or Pro would be a better choice. It also comes down to what features you'd use. For me I don't use alot of those "features" of my drones. I tried them out, but I just tend to fly them myself. So from the flight functions point of view the Phantom 3A or Pro would be a better choice for me.

Also as mentioned above, You will spend more on the Spark. You'll want the remote so factor the price of one in your cost...

I ordered the base model spark. I'll get the remote later. In the end it will cost me a little more, I'm hoping it wasn't a bad call on my part.

I don't have anything 4k and I would never use the 4k to be honest. I'm going non vacation next week. Visiting the grand canyon, hover dam and red rock national park outside of Vegas. I was thinking about how hard it would be to hike with the huge drone.

Portable and size do matter somewhat, I plan to take it with me on my travels. Obstacle avoidance was a big selling point, but battery life is too. Also I'm afraid of getting a giant drone and calling attention to my self Alot.

I can only afford the P3s on sale or the spark. Basically my overall budget is to stay at around $500. If I could afford it now I would pay more and get a mavic, but I'm already pushing my limits at this price with what my wife will let me spend with out saving up first.

The Spark sounds like it'll be a good fit for you then. Strongly consider getting the Spark remote controller when your savings allow for it. The difference is night and day.

I'm leaning towards the spark. I'll have to see how it feels in my hands and once I fly it for the first time, compared to the P3S. I'm looking forward to the quick setup time. I might be able to get the controller as soon as this weekend.

The Spark is going to feel a lot slower than your P3S when flying without a remote controller (since you will not be able to use sport mode). That might be okay though depending on what you're doing with your Spark.

I never regretted buying the Spark. I too was worried that I will not get blessings from my wife. As it was my first drone, I did contemplate on buying a 100 dollar drone. Am I glad I didn't do that. Did my research and at the same time shared the Spark Youtube videos with my wife. She was so amazed with the gesture control features....she finally agreed to let me buy it. [emoji28] Thank God for that.

So....

Remember there are places where you CAN NOT fly your drone. You've listed 3 places you CAN NOT fly drones. National Parks are off limits. While people talk about launching outside National Parks, I wouldn't do it. Red Rocks and the Grand Canyon are National Parks and have boundaries. So you can fly outside of those. Be a good "ambassador" of the hobby.

I've read on other forums that flying around Hoover Dam is also forbidden...

Do your research before you fly to ensure its legal...

I don't have anything 4k and I would never use the 4k to be honest. I'm going non vacation next week. Visiting the grand canyon, hover dam and red rock national park outside of Vegas. I was thinking about how hard it would be to hike with the huge drone.

I already checked with Red Rock and they allow it recreationally. I just found out about hover **** and grand canyon. I'll take red rock lol.

So Red Rock is not a National Park...

I already checked with Red Rock and they allow it recreationally. I just found out about hover **** and grand canyon. I'll take red rock lol.

I have had my P3S for just over a year now and it has and still is rock solid. I got a Spark for Christmas to complement my P3S, not replace it. I will be using the Spark in places that it is not practical or is cumbersome to set up my P3S (eg., hiking, camping or when I can't carry lots of gear). Also, you have mentioned time to set-up a P3S which is a valid concern especially in cold weather.

I will use my P3S and Spark kind of like how I use my two DSLRs. My Nikon D3300 is light small and compact and I take it everywhere. My Nikon D750 is heavier and larger and I use it for specific projects (landscapes, wildlife, and astrophotography).

Some people are saying that the P3S is old tech. When compared to other P3 models (P3A and P3P), I wouldn't say it is old tech, just different tech. The P3S is the low end P3 model similar to the Nikon D3300 and as such has less features to keep costs down. The Spark is interesting in that it has some advanced features (obstacle avoidance, more advanced remote, foldable propellers, gesture control, and more range on the WiFi), however costs were kept down by having a 2-axis gimbal, a camera that can only shoot in JPEG, USB charger block and cable, only one extra prop, and no included remote, if you get the basic package.

As others have said you have to think about what you are going to want to do with it and that will be the deciding factor. I agree with others who have said you will spend more on the Spark, than the P3S in the long run.

For me, I decided to get the basic Spark. I then ordered the Portable Power Pack (Portable Charging Station + 2 batteries, and the remote. This setup will be perfect for my uses. I didn't order the flymore combo because I liked the Portable Charging Station better and would not use all of the items included in the flymore combo.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Chris

The portability is what seemed to win for me. I already have a camera gear bag, with a Speedlite and lenses that is bulky and heavy. Having another big backpack or a large hard case is a hard sell for me. The spark arrived in the mail today, I'm hoping I will have time tomorrow to open it and start using it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit