Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark wifi signal issues

Antoine

Join
Jul 27, 2018
Hi,

I just received my DJI Spark yesterday and tried to link it with my phone (a OnePlus 3 with Android 8.0.0). When I started the drone for the first time, I successfully found the wifi signal on my phone and connected it to my phone but I'm unable to find it anymore (while it can be found on other devices). I updated the drone's firmware through my computer but still the same, can't find the wifi signal on my phone anymore.

Do you have a solution?

Thank you

Antoine Cano

Hi,

I just received my DJI Spark yesterday and tried to link it with my phone (a OnePlus 3 with Android 8.0.0). When I started the drone for the first time, I successfully found the wifi signal on my phone and connected it to my phone but I'm unable to find it anymore (while it can be found on other devices). I updated the drone's firmware through my computer but still the same, can't find the wifi signal on my phone anymore.

Do you have a solution?

Thank you

Antoine Cano

Have you tried switching Bluetooth on and off and see if the drone comes up when your phone refreshes the wifi? Rebooted the phone?

I'm not sure the problem comes from my phone, because I can see the signal on my computer but it isn't available for phones (neither mine nor other phones).
I've reseted the drone by pushing the power button 10 sec approximatively (it rings 3 times) and removed the battery for 5 minutes. When I powered it on, the signal was available on my phone, and I was able to connect with DJI Go 4 and fly. But if I disconnect my phone the signal vanishes if I try to look for it again.

My problem isn't solved but I can connect to the network. Nevertheless, while I was connected, I went to the wifi signal settings and saw that I was able to choose the channel of the signal, I chose a high number channel (like 150) and the signal disappeared. Perhaps sometimes the signal disappears because the drone switches to a channel not supported on my phone?

I'll try your method!

I have no controller, but perhaps having one could solve the thing (but it's still pretty expensive for me)

I live in France, does my localisation has any link with this kind of issue?

Hi,

Do you have a solution?

Thank you

Antoine Cano
Welcome
Assuming you don't use the RC (Remote Control, if not, you should really consider that investment, it is day and night):
If you long press (10 seconds) the button on the Spark battery (when Spark is normally powered) you should finally get a serie of 3 bips and the Spark will reset its wifi to 2.4G and SSID/password as on its label. You should be able to see Sparkxxxx SSID and connect to it. From Google, there are lot of question about 5.8G wifi and your phone model. Some seems to have issues, some not.
If you can connect at 2.4G it is at least a minimum (you can try to fly) and then you can control the wifi channel used for some test.
Did you have connected one time the Spark in 5.8G? The Spark use some special channels (149 to 165 from my memory) at 5.8G that not all phone can handle as they are low power one, at least Europe (CE mode for DJI).
If you use the RC, the problem can be the same if the RC use the 5.8G band. At power up, the Spark check for interference and use 2.4G if ok else it use 5.8G. In case of RC, it will use the other band for connection to the phone. Usual interference are if a lot of wifi router around and nearby Bluetooth devices, that make the Spark using 5.8G for direct connection to phone or to the RC.

I consider buying a remote controller, but I try to get used to basic controls of the drone with my phone for now (it is my first drone).
Do you know any tips for buying a cheaper RC? (Refurbished one or whatever)

Indeed, when I connected the drone yesterday, I was in a crowded City center with a lot of wifi signal around, it can explain why the drone switched to higher band signals which could not be supported on my phone (because I can find the signal on my computer which supports 5.9Ghz wifi signal)
Is it possible to force the drone to keep its wifi in a defined range of channels?

Then the problem could be the same if I use A RC with my phone. Why? I thought in case of RC, only the controller was connected to the drone, and the phone was only there for displaying drone's video. It that not the case?

Thanks for your help

I consider buying a remote controller, but I try to get used to basic controls of the drone with my phone for now (it is my first drone).
Do you know any tips for buying a cheaper RC? (Refurbished one or whatever)

Indeed, when I connected the drone yesterday, I was in a crowded City center with a lot of wifi signal around, it can explain why the drone switched to higher band signals which could not be supported on my phone (because I can find the signal on my computer which supports 5.9Ghz wifi signal)
Is it possible to force the drone to keep its wifi in a defined range of channels?

Then the problem could be the same if I use A RC with my phone. Why? I thought in case of RC, only the controller was connected to the drone, and the phone was only there for displaying drone's video. It that not the case?

Thanks for your help
The experience with the RC is really much better but at a cost, that's clear. Without it you will be very limited in distance, maximum 100 meters If you do some search on Google you will see that some are cheaper than official price.

You can somehow force it by pressing for 10 seconds the battery button to make the Spark using 2.4G. After connection, the band and channel can be also manually selected but I am not sure if it remain on next power up.

With the RC, it is normally also wifi that is used for connection from phone to RC but a special USB cable can be used and then your phone wifi will not be used. It is called OTG cable and need to be for connection Spark to phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe